How mad are you..

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I'm a relative newbie on here and the short time I have been I've enjoyed reading and bantering back and forth with other members but does anybody else feel like me with the state of the NFL the way it is, you don't feel like reading or watching anything related to it. This is my first post in about a week on here because I just can't stand the thought of these guys *****ing and whining about how to split 9 billion dollars. With the economy and the things happening in the world these guys should realize how lucky they are. I'm sick of hearing how the average player makes $300,000 a year and the average player is out of the league in 3 years. If I'm not mistaken didn't you all go to college?? And about 60% of you had full 4 year scholarships. It's called planning for the future. They're a lot of people who would have loved the chance for that opportunity. Just shut up and play. Sorry just had to rant.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I must be mad too, because I agree with you 100%. I think we've moved beyond a benign dispute into something far more severe. The point I want to make is, this should not be happening. I don't know the inner details, but all I know is this. A world without football would be like a dagger in my heart.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I try and look at it like when a player holds out or has contract issues. Its not personal its just business and both sides looking out for themselves which I dont fault them for. Driver is my favorite packer of all time but it seems like every off season I hear something about his contract.

If it affects the season Ill start to get real pissed.

I dont think the players fully realize that they also are missing out on $ as they revenue is divided up, so anything missed doesnt just affect the owners.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Well, it's kind of a misconception that all players have college degrees. Yeah, they all went to college, but only about 50% actually completed a degree. It's a myth the NFL likes to promote with their player introductions with the player stating their name and college. The truth is a lot of guys have no degree. Troy Aikman for instance didn't have his degree. He finished it up after his playing days were done.

I agree with you. In this NEW, WORSE, world economy for them to be fighting over how much money they can stuff into their back accounts makes me sick. Millionaires fighting with Billionaires. Ugh..I however am leaning toward the players side on this one. If the owners want more money off the top they should open their books and show why. No one has yet.

I'll always be a fan of football till the day I die. They could have no football for 5 years, but I would be right there when they started playing again. It's hardwired into my DNA. Baseball, on the other hand, when they had the work stoppage I gave up on that sport. So I guess the owners know they can mess around with the lockout and still people will be lined up again as soon as the doors open. Count me in that group (hangs head in shame).

OP
OP
GWheels

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it's kind of a misconception that all players have college degrees. Yeah, they all went to college, but only about 50% actually completed a degree. It's a myth the NFL likes to promote with their player introductions with the player stating their name and college. The truth is a lot of guys have no degree. Troy Aikman for instance didn't have his degree. He finished it up after his playing days were done.

I agree with you. In this NEW, WORSE, world economy for them to be fighting over how much money they can stuff into their back accounts makes me sick. Millionaires fighting with Billionaires. Ugh..I however am leaning toward the players side on this one. If the owners want more money off the top they should open their books and show why. No one has yet.

I'll always be a fan of football till the day I die. They could have no football for 5 years, but I would be right there when they started playing again. It's hardwired into my DNA. Baseball, on the other hand, when they had the work stoppage I gave up on that sport. So I guess the owners know they can mess around with the lockout and still people will be lined up again as soon as the doors open. Count me in that group (hangs head in shame).
Oh, I'm sure that less the half the players have degrees but they did have the opportunity to get one when a lot of people don't.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure that less the half the players have degrees but they did have the opportunity to get one when a lot of people don't.

A good number of those that do have degrees aren't useful degrees anyway. There are a limited number of Steve Young's in the NFL...hell most of those guys can't piece a coherent sentence together.

Former Packer great, Sean Jones maintains that the CBA is less about the players than it is about protecting the OWNERS from each other. That is a legitimate and more believable statement in my book than a lot of the stuff I've heard coming out of the former NFLPA. Jones says that the owners don't want to open their books because they don't want the other other owners to see how they spend their money. Small market teams don't want the big ol' money teams from seeing how they spend their revenue sharing funds...and the big guys don't want the little guys knowing how many jets they own. Anything is plausible, I suppose.

One thing is for certain...the Packers won the Super Bowl again. :happy0005: Watched it again last night (that's 8 now) and I do believe that they've won 20 NFL Championships now. On the downside...Charles Woodson keeps getting hurt.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't. Just can't.
Like I said before, if I cheered for any other team...

But I'm absolutely hooked on the Packers. I need them. I'm bored out of my mind with the little new content about the Packers that's coming out.

I'm almost paying a lot of money for the SB DVD, even though I've seen 95% of it's content...

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I seriously wish the fans would go on strike and that we would refuse to go to games, stop buying merchandise, and quit watching tv broadcasts until the owners and players all decide to take less money and give a little back to us -- free official game jerseys and one free game this season to each fan! A guy can dream, can't he? And yes, I realize it is never going to happen, its just a pipe dream.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had a time machine, here's what I'd do from all this mess...
First I would go back before the NFL is established. I'd go to those mtgs and convince them to have every team community owned, same as the Packers. I would make sure to somehow keep the greed and the big business side away from the sport.
Then I would come back to the present time.
If I still wasn't satisfied then I would go back again to an even earlier time and just sit back and enjoy the game itself.

Since I can't do any of that (yet) I'm with the OP. I hate the big money and big business that runs football now instead of the sport idea that was probably more prevalent way back then.
It's a big green machine money monster that is getting out of control and, sadly, this won't be the last time this will happen.
I seriously doubt that it will be fair to everyone involved, ever. Fans, players, owners. Someone will always feel like they are getting the shaft.

Those who run the NFL are stupid. Just plain stupid moronic idiots with crap for brains to not let any other team be a non-profit community owned team, such as the Packers.
I dunno why that is when the Packers is a model of success. But whoever is responsible from preventing that from any other teams should be taken out to the desert or an uninhabited island and left there.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously wish the fans would go on strike and that we would refuse to go to games, stop buying merchandise, and quit watching tv broadcasts until the owners and players all decide to take less money and give a little back to us -- free official game jerseys and one free game this season to each fan! A guy can dream, can't he? And yes, I realize it is never going to happen, its just a pipe dream.
I like your way of thinking and I wish it would happen.
They can afford the free shirt and game. Or to at least discount those. Even for just a week or something.

I dunno about anyone else, but for me it would take tons of will power to do that when the season starts again.

Though, in a way I already do boycott the NFL.
I don't go to games.
I only bought one Packers T-Shirt and that was from a thrift store.
I only watch on TV and I never buy anything with the NFL logo on it.
The SB DVD. Does the NFL make any money on that? F 'em. I got it on Tivo.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I got the SB BD and it's awesome! Yeah, I've seen a lot of it before, but in High Def it was awesome!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

A good idea, but you'd have to get nearly everyone on board, not just 1/2 the fans or even 3/4's and therein lies the dilemma. You'd pretty much need a consensus, or at least enough people to cause a sharp decline in their revenue for a number of consecutive weeks to catch their attention. A severe and ongoing drop in TV ratings may cause those networks to stop broadcasting the games, but that would take forever. A pipe dream as you say, as you'd never get enough people to actually follow through long enough to make a difference. I'm going to admit I'm actually part of your problem. I'm not willing to give up football, I love it so. Football is like a drug to me, I won't give it up no matter how much of my remaining sanity it may cost me. :Worried:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
One thing is for certain...the Packers won the Super Bowl again. :happy0005: Watched it again last night (that's 8 now) and I do believe that they've won 20 NFL Championships now. On the downside...Charles Woodson keeps getting hurt.

LOL!

My kids cannot believe that I keep watching the playoff and Championship games over and over. Yes, I know the ending, but I still get angry over certain plays and I still get excited on others.

Woodson keeps getting injured in my viewings as well! Poor guy.

Groundhog day, man.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts