How Long Will AJ Hawk Last?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree, I don't find him insightful at all. So many better places to read about the packers, his Column is bottom of the barrel. I feel like some posters are not aware of the talent around the net that talk packers
OK, enlighten us. I'll start and sticky a new thread. You provide links, mention registration / paywalls to access content or find and bump a necrothread that has most of this info. We can use a consensus by posters as to which sites warrant being in the first post which will be updated as an index of sites.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, enlighten us. I'll start and sticky a new thread. You provide links, mention registration / paywalls to access content or find and bump a necrothread that has most of this info. We can use a consensus by posters as to which sites warrant being in the first post which will be updated as an index of sites.
no prob.

Cheeseheadtv for years has produced excellent coverage in spite of losing Nagler to Bleacher.
http://cheeseheadtv.com/

Presentation wise I like lom ave, http://lombardiave.com/

Chance knows his stuff, so while not a breakdown of games and players, its a great site that should be mentioned
http://packersuniforms.blogspot.com/

2nd best major coverage of the Packers arguably
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/packers/

Some good discussions here
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/

I believe this used to be jersey al?
http://allgbp.com/

Some here are not wilde fans but he follows the team as closely as anyone I would say
http://espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278

JSonline is phenomenal and wins awards for a reason
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/28463654.html

D

Deleted member 6794

Jones on the other hand may lose his starting spot before seasons end if Lattimore can maintain his level of play he's cheaper younger, and can stay healthy longer than 3 wks.

Brad Jones has already lost his starting job, he didn't play a single snap on defense vs. the Panthers. I would be fine with him playing the same amount of snaps for the rest of the year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'll add Packer Update to ivo610's list: http://packerupdate.net/. It's done by Michael Rodney who was a sports writer in the 1990s. I like the "Eye in the Sky" stuff by Dusty Evely in which he posts screen shots along with commentary of specific plays. For example, one of the plays he writes about against the Panthers shows Clay keeping contain on a read option "forcing" Newton to hand the ball off to Stewart who Clay tackles after a small gain. On another he writes about Clinton-Dix paying attention to his responsibilities - he's protecting a WR on a deep route while watching another in the flat. Once the throw is made, he breaks on the WR in the flat and makes a great tackle.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unlike virtually every other player over 30 (other than Aaron) on the roster, I seriously doubt Hawk will be replaced until he decides to hang them up.

He has never been athletic. He has never made impact plays (sacks, INTs, bit hits). He has never been able to cover back or TEs. He is not a blitzter. He was one of the lowest rated ILBs by PFF last season and is rated just as poorly this season.

Despite these realities, and the fact he has been one of the highest-paid players on the team, there has never, ever been any serious talk of replacing Hawk. If he has not been replaced by now, what would casue him to be replaced next season?

Furthermore, AJ's has 3 important attributes. First, he almost never gets hurt. Second, he knows where he is supposed to be and thus makes a lot of tackles. Many complain that most of those tackles are more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage and that he almost never makes a tackle for loss, but his availability and tackle numbers cannot be denied.

Hawk's third and, for purposes of this discussion, most important attribute is that TT/the coaches love him. Whereas some players (Woodson, Mike Daniels, Tramon, etc.) have made comments about how changes (in scheme or attitude) were needed on D, AJ has been steadfast in his support of Dom Capers -- and he is the most oft quoted player on the D the past few years.

Hawk's unwavering support of coaches/management no matter how dreadful the D has played the past few years is just the type of attribute that keeps certain players in favor with management. Give AJ credit, I can think of no player who has been paid more money for doing less on the football field.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Unlike virtually every other player over 30 (other than Aaron) on the roster, I seriously doubt Hawk will be replaced until he decides to hang them up.

He has never been athletic. He has never made impact plays (sacks, INTs, bit hits). He has never been able to cover back or TEs. He is not a blitzter. He was one of the lowest rated ILBs by PFF last season and is rated just as poorly this season.

Despite these realities, and the fact he has been one of the highest-paid players on the team, there has never, ever been any serious talk of replacing Hawk. If he has not been replaced by now, what would casue him to be replaced next season?

Furthermore, AJ's has 3 important attributes. First, he almost never gets hurt. Second, he knows where he is supposed to be and thus makes a lot of tackles. Many complain that most of those tackles are more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage and that he almost never makes a tackle for loss, but his availability and tackle numbers cannot be denied.

Hawk's third and, for purposes of this discussion, most important attribute is that TT/the coaches love him. Whereas some players (Woodson, Mike Daniels, Tramon, etc.) have made comments about how changes (in scheme or attitude) were needed on D, AJ has been steadfast in his support of Dom Capers -- and he is the most oft quoted player on the D the past few years.

Hawk's unwavering support of coaches/management no matter how dreadful the D has played the past few years is just the type of attribute that keeps certain players in favor with management. Give AJ credit, I can think of no player who has been paid more money for doing less on the football field.
I see, so you think TT would pay big bucks, in fact millions of big bucks, to an ILB, who sucks bad (or maybe good if your theory is right), because the coaches love him for his unwavering support of their terrible coaching. Is that what your saying?

Those must be some really good ****** buttons your eating.

May I submit to you, that you consider that these professionals, with more understanding of the game than you will ever posses in your lifetime. These coaches that grade every player on every play, and who know what his assignment is on every play they review, see Hawk as a key player on this team this year.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
His replacement isn't on the roster. It should be a priority in the draft and free agency. I appreciate the positives Hawk brings to the table, but his is a position that needs a serious upgrade. Too slow, not physical enough. Again, he's aging; diminishing returns . Time to replace both him and Jones.
Well, now that it appears we have gotten all of the other positions on D stocked, Maybe they will, this is a game of replacement and you have to win your job every day. But I haven't seen diminishing returns, I have seen improvement since 2012. I have seen a guy that dropped in weight and picked up a step. I see a guy who completely understands Capers schemes and gets the players on D where they are supposed to be at the start of every play and call the adjustments. It's hard to get a step on a rush when your just getting your head turned back around. I see a guy who eats blocks on blitzes. I see a guy who is a sure tackler. I see an unselfish leader who makes everyone around him better.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
no prob.

Cheeseheadtv for years has produced excellent coverage in spite of losing Nagler to Bleacher.
http://cheeseheadtv.com/

Presentation wise I like lom ave, http://lombardiave.com/

Chance knows his stuff, so while not a breakdown of games and players, its a great site that should be mentioned
http://packersuniforms.blogspot.com/

2nd best major coverage of the Packers arguably
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/packers/

Some good discussions here
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/

I believe this used to be jersey al?
http://allgbp.com/

Some here are not wilde fans but he follows the team as closely as anyone I would say
http://espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278

JSonline is phenomenal and wins awards for a reason
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/28463654.html
I wish I had time to read all this, Then I would be smarter than the Packers staff. I guess if I was housebound 6 months a year ;)

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great. You can have him.
Again, I'm not knocking Hawk. But this team is weak up the middle, and Hawk is part of that. I stand by my opinion; time to replace him if they're is a shot at someone who is an upgrade.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Great. You can have him.
Again, I'm not knocking Hawk. But this team is weak up the middle, and Hawk is part of that. I stand by my opinion; time to replace him if they're is a shot at someone who is an upgrade.
I agree, when they get enough guys with better talent at ILB then it's time to replace him, but that isn't now and probably won't be for a couple of years, unless a couple of the younger guys currently on our roster make a big leap.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd look hard at UFA and the draft. Why would we want guys who can't beat him out now as the answers.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I always wonder in a game like tonight's against the Saints is, where exactly do you hide AJ Hawk?

He never makes a play near the line of scrimmage against the run, can't defend the pass, and can't blitz.

What is his role tonight?

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I always wonder in a game like tonight's against the Saints is, where exactly do you hide AJ Hawk?

He never makes a play near the line of scrimmage against the run, can't defend the pass, and can't blitz.

What is his role tonight?
I've been saying this for years, ever tackle he gets its never solo or the tackle is brought to him 6 yards down field. as far as blitzing he never tries to get through the block he just stops on contact. one more he holds the record for helmet popping off for no reason. this guy is just holding air on defense.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont get all the hawk haters tbh, ok he isnt going to light the defence up but not every player on the field will. Hawk leads the team in tackles lone and combined and ranks at 21 and 13th respectivally. He QBS the defence and tackles. I really dont see what else we can or should expect from him. Others players in the team are there to get sacks, interceptions. Hawk is there to lead and tackle he does both for us. If he wasnt leading in tackles who would be. He is 13th in country to me that is pretty decent. I read lots of talk about players missing tackles (ha-ha) not getting sacks (mathews) and and not being good enough in coverage (House), but hawk again gets marked as the problem on the defence. There are 11 men on the defence he does his job maybe some others need to step up and do theirs.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk won't be replaced because he "makes sure players are in right spot". If Hawk wasn't in the game then our corners would be sitting in the stands, our defensive ends would be holed up in a local bar and our linebackers would have gotten on the wrong plane and flown to Mexico...so you see, you HAVE to have Hawk in the game or else chaos will ensue!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A lot of players spoke highly of Hawk's quiet stoic leadership during the 2010-11 playoff push and ultimate Super Bowl victory. Hawk's calmness was often credited with keeping the defense focused balanced and was said to play a role in stabilizing the unit during the team's victory over the Steelers.

Besides the truth is that there have been greater priorities for replacement on the defense for the last couple of years aside from AJ Hawk and probably will again have more priorities aside from AJ Hawk.

Edit: PFF, LOL!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont get all the hawk haters tbh, ok he isnt going to light the defence up but not every player on the field will. Hawk leads the team in tackles lone and combined and ranks at 21 and 13th respectivally. He QBS the defence and tackles. I really dont see what else we can or should expect from him. Others players in the team are there to get sacks, interceptions. Hawk is there to lead and tackle he does both for us. If he wasnt leading in tackles who would be. He is 13th in country to me that is pretty decent. I read lots of talk about players missing tackles (ha-ha) not getting sacks (mathews) and and not being good enough in coverage (House), but hawk again gets marked as the problem on the defence. There are 11 men on the defence he does his job maybe some others need to step up and do theirs.

Last season he was one of the top ILBs in the league in Sacks and TFFls.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year the DLine (particularly) Raji took much of the flak for the poor run D.

The first couple of games this season, B. Jones drew the ire of the faithful.

Both Raji and B. Jones deserved that criticism in my view.

Raji and Jones are not around to kick around now, and the run D is worse than ever. In fact, GB is last in the league.
The one constant presence during the last 3 and a half seasons of defensive ineptitude at stopping the run is ILBer AJ Hawk. And an inside linebacker is certainly more responsible for stopping the run than say a nickel corner. I dare say NT and ILBer are the 2 positions most responsible for stopping the run.

Curiously, however, many go to great lengths to absolve AJ from any responsibility for the worst run D in the NFL. I have to wonder why Hawk gets a free pass for the obvious and ongoing run-stopping deficiencies when others (Raji, B. Jones for example) have been savaged for their failures.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk's current contract went from $17.9 million down to $10.6 million over the 2013-15 seasons. He's in the upper third of salaries. He deserved the contract that he got following the Super Bowl, and also deserved the pay cut. It would still be a step up in cap to land a prized free agent ILB this coming offseason. Likely TT will draft someone and see if the combo of Lattimore and Barrington can win out in training camp next season.

One way or another, I think that 2015 will be the last for Hawk in Green Bay. One could easily put the helmet on Morgan Burnett next year if that was the only aspect of Hawk's game that couldn't be filled by a younger guy.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Above all, I would like to remind everyone that of his nine career interceptions, his most important was the against the Minnesota Vikings in 2010. He became the first to intercept Brett Favre and one could argue, propelled us to another Super Bowl.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seem to be a lot of you going to bat for Hawk. No sale for me. Cite whatever stats you like, I go by watching him play, and he is decidedly mediocre. Time for a change.

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great. You can have him.

Hawk can't take on tacklers and is out of position a good share of the time. He doesn't like contact and therefore doesn't play downhill to the ball. Why do you think he has been injury free for nine years?

Reaction score
Well. I didn't revive this thread so... Don't blame me. lol
It's now the mid season blues. We just gave up another couple hundred yards on the ground to a non starting back... Maybe it is my Dad wearing on me but in my mind we need changes at the upper level if we want to get this D fixed. I can all but offer a guarantee that if you replaced our Defensive coaching staff with a Ryan mentality. We'd move 10 spots minimum next year with the same group of personnel. I don't think Hawk is a major concern as he generally holds his own. He's a C+ For 2 more years. He's just not gonna be that Urlacher/Lynch kinda standout leader like you need. From what I've seen in here many would agree next year we draft an inside LB 1st round..and maybe... If it requires the sure thing.. We trade up for one. That takes care of Brad Jones once and for all(maybe we can trade Brad to one of our division rivals :cry:)Then 2016 we look for another Linebacker first couple rounds if it presents itself. Personnel wise, we spent so much energy trying to find a replacement for Cullen, we lost ground in the LB category. It's the nucleus of our D. It's the left ventricle at the very least

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts