1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How good of a coach is MM?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Texpackerfan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    We hear about TT's ability in picking players and Capers' is a defensive genius but what about MM?

They had 14 guys on IR this year, doesn't MM deserve some credit and if so how much?

To make it to the SB, your HC has to be pretty good. But just how good is MM? Is he a great motivator? an x's and o's kind of a guy?

I hear he's a players coach but other than that, I'm not sure. Sure he runs a good offense but he's had one hall of famer and if A-Rod keeps it up, another one to follow.

Any ideas?

2. Zeck180

Zeck180 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +173
    He is the Packers HC and Offensive cor. Took a team from 4-12 to 13-3 in just two years and now has complied a 52-34 record over all and now in his fifth year is now in the Super Bowl

3. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,070
    He is an excellent leader of men and he and his staff do a great job developing players and maximizing talent. His play calling can be good, but scares the hell out of me when he has a lead but a team is not yet buried.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    His team is in the SB, that ought to hush doubters up for a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I seem to recall a thread started by someone asking if they felt we could win a Super Bowl with Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson. The author did not. Many others disagreed with the author.

Welp, here we are, in the Super Bowl. Win or not, the doubters should just shut the hell up already.

Coach McCarthy deserves a ton of credit for having this team prepared and focused and able to push through all the adversity we faced this season. Anyone who says he is a bad coach is, quite simply, a moron.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    7/10 in my book. He will never inspire like Vince Lombardi, or create a coaching legacy like Walsh, or change the way coaching is done like the greatest coach of all time Paul Brown did. He gets an extra point from here on out for every SB he wins. And like another poster said, scares the hell out of me with the lead in the 4th.

7. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    I always saw MM as a bland coach, not very agressive, a little chubby, and not very entertaining, almost bland. But I am pretty sure that he is a lot better of a person working with players and what not than he may seem in press conferences. Is he good, heck yeah. I think he suffered not having a run game this year, and ONLY IN HINDSIGHT do I like that he benched Starks for not practicing enough. The Rodgers -McCarthy combo turned out great, and the Favre - McCarthy combo was a situation of being between a rock and a hard place.

8. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    I think he's a really good coach

• Like Like x 1
  9. John

John Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I like Mike. I think he's a very underrated coach who has had to deal with a pile of injuries to some key players no less. He's no Lombardi, but hey, who is? McCarthy/Rodgers has all the makings of a dynamite combo.

10. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479
    I like Mike as a coach..Always have..

I think it takes time for his players and for him to get used to each other, as the records indicate late in the season (lot of long winning streaks to end seasons) Wish that could be fixed

He doesnt let us into everything, which he shouldnt

I am sure others are more qualified to answer..But he wins, look at his record

All that matters to me

11. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    He won't be a 10/10 until he gives the play calling duties to someone else...who's competent. He's not getting it done with this big lead management.

12. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479
    I know of a few passes that should been caught but werent, and it led to punts

If those catches are made, they move the chains..

So how much is his play calling an how much is players failing

13. fochs13

fochs13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    There's no reason that he shouldn't win coach of the year.

14. Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Rodgers2Finley4TDs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    MM has proven so much to me this season.

15. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +435
    I started that thread, but I never said that I didn't think that the Packers could win under MM and Rodgers. I didn't think we would win this year because of a number of things(injuries, running game), but this team has proven me wrong.

I said in my first post "I'm just curious as to what you think. Do you think the tandem of McCarthy and Rodgers will produce a Super Bowl victory? I personally think we have a decent shot at it. I don't know if this year is the year but down the road perhaps. What do you think? Do Rodgers and McCarthy have what it takes?"

I now think this team has what it takes in two weeks. And MM deserves a lot of credit for that.

16. Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    I hope my original post didn't have a negative connotation. I guess a better question is "what makes a MM a good (possibly great) coach.

Some coaches have certain characteristics that are easy to pinpoint: Landry (great with systems) Parcells (disciplinarian) Lombardi (motivator)

From what I gather about MM is that he's very systematic and business-like.

I applaud aarondqb for having a great post.

17. Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    If he does become an elite coach, we will, dare I say it...have a dynasty on our hands.

I do think he is vastly underrated though. He reminds me Bellichick in how he presents himself to the public. I think that's why it's taken awhile for some Packer fans to embrace him is because he doesn't show his personality in public.