Honest guess on how the division goes this year

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries aside....I think the Pack has a good chance to take the division again.

again?

Packers should finish #1 - this team is the deepest in the NFL and has a ton of top talent.

Lions #2 - everyone brings up Stafford getting hurt again but lets not forget this team finished with 4 straight wins without Stafford. Stafford is a great addition to the team if healthy, but without him this team is very much still a threat.

Bears #3 - I havent counted this team out but they are getting older on defense and not better on offense.

Vikings #4 - Rookie QB, losing their #1 WR, O line is older and wont help AP like it used to. Jared Allen could come out and help this team win a few more games if he collects sacks like he has in the past.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Packers prior to the drafts average age was 26.
We had only 3 players on our starting roster over the age of 31.
Average age of Packers offense in last game 26.6
Aveage age of Vikings offense in last game 26.9

BTW the Vikings only had 4 starters over the age of 31. And two of them will not be back this year. Favre and P. Williams.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BTW the Vikings only had 4 starters over the age of 31. And two of them will not be back this year. Favre and P. Williams.

How many young playmakers do you have though? AP and Harvin?

Hutch and Mckinnie dont seem to be getting better either, they seem to be going the other way.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers won't take the division "again". They haven't won the division since 07.

I see us as the clearly superior team. That doesn't mean we'll trounce and cruise our way to the title, because this is the NFCN.

Maybe I'm too conservative, but I don't see the Bears free falling as everyone claims. I think they'll have a winning season, with a chance to go double digit wins. I still see them as the division's #2 opponent. Everyone likes to talk up the Lions' front 4, but truth is, the Bears' D is still elite, and that is enough to have at least a winning season.

I do see the Lions as vastly improving, but I don't buy the Stafford hype. He hasn't shown anything to be considered a very good QB, in fact, Shaun Hill performed better than Stafford sometimes. Stafford has 1 game in his career with 100+ rating, and Hill had 3 of those just last season. QB play wasn't the Lions' problem, their QB play was good. Elite QB play could make them a playoff team, but I don't see Stafford providing that just yet.

And their back 7 is still THE WORST in all of football. I don't see them being better than the Bucs, Saints, Falcons, Bears, Giants, Eagles, even the Cowboys if they correct themselves.

7-9, maybe an 8-8 season for them.

As for the Vikings, a rookie QB won't correct their problems. They were a team playing in their peak in 08 and 09. Now they're in the downfall. Their front 4 isn't elite anymore, specially with Edwards leaving. That will make their average LBs not look so good. And their secondary is atrocious, save for Winfield, who can't cover the whole field.

On offense, they have the weapons, but they don't have any depth. If Harvin, Rice or Peterson get injuried, they're done once again. Plus, their OL is awful.

That's not the worst, though. QB play is. Ponder won't change that. There's no way a rookie QB can keep up with the Packers' D and the Bears' D. The Lions' D is on the rise. And that's only in the division.

I see them going last again, with a 5-11 record.

Packers (14-2 to 12-4)
Bears (11-5 to 9-7)
Lions (8-8 to 6-10)
Vikings (6-10 to 3-13)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, but look at the names.

Vikings under 28:
Joe Webb
Harvin
Peterson
Gerhardt
Rice (didn't play but throwing him in there)
John Sullivan
Ryan Cook
Loadholt

Peterson, Harvin and Rice are the only ones you can take out of there.

Now, the Packers under 28:
Rodgers
Starks
Jennings
Finley (didn't play but throwing in htere)
Jones
Nelson
Sitton
Bulaga
Quarless

A far cry eh?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but look at the names.

Vikings under 28:
Joe Webb
Harvin
Peterson
Gerhardt
Rice (didn't play but throwing him in there)
John Sullivan
Ryan Cook
Loadholt

Peterson, Harvin and Rice are the only ones you can take out of there.

Now, the Packers under 28:
Rodgers
Starks
Jennings
Finley (didn't play but throwing in htere)
Jones
Nelson
Sitton
Bulaga
Quarless

A far cry eh?

Its the same thing with the Defense, if not worse. I cant think of anyone under 30 that scares me on their D. While we have Raji, Tramon Williams, Collins, and Matthews.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Pack takes the division. Even with the pending departure of Jenkins and Jones, we have the depth and talent at most positions to do everything we did last year. Remember, we won everything with a sub-par Oline and virtually no run game until the postseason (and even then it's still not like we had AP or CJ2k). The offense will thrive under Rodgers, and the defense will be as good as always.

Most people will disagree, but Vikings go second. 9-7 or 8-8. Remember, they won the division in 2008 with nobody but AP on the team. Granted, the Williams wall was younger and not facing a suspension, but I think Leslie Frazier will do a decent job with that defense. Also, in 2008, Tarvaris Jackson was their QB. Regardless of how you feel about Ponder, don't you guys think he'll be at least as good as Jackson?

Lions go third. Up and coming team but I question Stafford's durability, and yeah Fairley and Suh will be monsters, but their back 7 on D is below average at best. QBs like Rodgers and Manning and Brady don't care how much pressure they are under if they have 3 or 4 receivers they know will be open. Also, as good as Calvin/Titus Young and Best/LeShoure will be, you still need an Oline to give your QB time and open holes for your RBs. I don't think the lions have that.

And finally, Da Burrs. I don't care if Carimi is the next Walter Jones, because the rest of that Oline is still awful. Cutler takes too long to deliver the ball, and their receivers are all C+/B- at best and they're only that good because of speed. The pass rush in the rest of the division keeps getting more intense, and I don't think Chicago can handle it this season. I wouldn't take anyone on that offense other than maybe Forte to start on my team, and even he is not elite. On defense, Peppers, Urlacher, and Briggs will be solid to pretty good as always, but aside from that there is no real presence on the Dline and their secondary is nothing to write home about.

Of course, everything I just said is based on the fact that nothing has happened in free agency yet and more than likely rookie players won't have as much of an impact this year to to the possibility of shortened pre-season activities.

I have to disagree, especially on the Bears. Their offensive line will be better with Carimi and Webb's development. Hell, they won 11 games with that junk offensive line last year.

Also, Peppers, Briggs and Urlacher are a little better than "solid to pretty good." Briggs is a top 5 4-3 OLB and Peppers is a top 5 defensive lineman.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears should be better on offense. Their biggest deficiency was the offensive line. In theory, they have addressed it. Of course, they will likely give up a lot of sacks--that's just how a Mike Martz offense works.

The scary part is their defense. The day is coming where it'll get old in a hurry. Briggs and Urlacher are old for football players. If I recall correctly, they only had one starter under 30 in their front 7 last year (a d-tackle) and he was 27.

This is where the Cutler trade is hurting them. IF they had those draft picks, those players would be just about ready to enter prime-time this year. Ta-da, assuming you've drafted well, your defense hiccups and moves on. As is, it could crash and burn.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears should be better on offense. Their biggest deficiency was the offensive line. In theory, they have addressed it.
Actually, they didn't come even close.

The Bears had 2 competent Olineman, Olin Kreutz (who didn't even perform that well) and Roberto Garza (who was also only OK). Kreutz is a FA, Garza is 32.

They have a 2008 1st round pick in Chris Williams, who was drafted as a LT, but have played anywhere but center, and have struggled everywhere.

The had 7th round rookie J'Marcus Webb starting at RT, but he wasn't very good either.

In reality, IF Carimi pans out (which is a big stretch, given that it's highly likely that rookies will miss time in training camp, and won't be ready for the starting of the season), they will have 1 quality player, 2 competent players, and 2 huge holes at the OL.

They have 2 things going on for them. Tice's incredible coaching, and Martz' willingness to adapt his scheme to hide the OL's weakness.

But, even with that, their OL will still be one of the worst in the league, it'll still be a weakness, and they'll still have huge problems against good defenses (they only scored 37 points in 3 games against us, 12.3 points per game).

So, to sum it all up, having adquired one rookie, no matter how well he plays, won't have corrected their OL problems. Far from it.

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree, especially on the Bears. Their offensive line will be better with Carimi and Webb's development. Hell, they won 11 games with that junk offensive line last year.

Also, Peppers, Briggs and Urlacher are a little better than "solid to pretty good." Briggs is a top 5 4-3 OLB and Peppers is a top 5 defensive lineman.

Peppers is elite, I will give you that. However, one defensive end can't win games (see: Jared Allen last season). Urlacher is not getting any younger and is injury prone, so I don't consider him a top 5 MLB anymore. Especially with more pass happy offenses, he won't be able to keep up much longer. Briggs is a top 5 4-3 OLB, but the importance of that position is so-so especially on a team where he is arguably the 2nd best player. How many 4-3 OLBs win DPOY, y'know? Additionally, he didn't have a great statistical year last year, and as with Urlacher, isn't getting any younger.

Their O-Line is still garbage unless Carimi turns into the next Joe Thomas. Cutler was sacked more than any QB last season, and it wasn't even close. It didn't really get any better as the season went on either, unlike what most people say. In fact, the last week of the season we got to him 6 times.

For all I care, the bears can DIE IN A FIRE!!!!!! I HATE YOU!!! SCREW YOU CHICAGO!!! NFC CHAMPIONS IN YOUR HOME, IN YOUR FACE!!!!!! :chisux:

Also this haha

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but a good 3rd or a bad 3rd?

3rd place is ever good?

I'm very much a Packer fan, don't get me wrong. I just try to be as objective as I can.

I see the Lions in 2nd just because they seem to be doing a lot of things right and very un-Matt Millen like. As long as Stafford stays healthy, I seem them improving a lot. Certainly question marks along the o-line and back 7 on defense, but as long as you have your QB (and the Lions think they do) you can compete.

I put the Vikings last because they don't have a QB, at least not yet. Also what they did well the past few years--stop the run and run the ball--isn't going to be so easy this year. Both lines got old and Ray Edwards is leaving.

So, the Bears end up in 3rd by default more than anything.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Peppers is elite, I will give you that. However, one defensive end can't win games (see: Jared Allen last season). Urlacher is not getting any younger and is injury prone, so I don't consider him a top 5 MLB anymore. Especially with more pass happy offenses, he won't be able to keep up much longer. Briggs is a top 5 4-3 OLB, but the importance of that position is so-so especially on a team where he is arguably the 2nd best player. How many 4-3 OLBs win DPOY, y'know? Additionally, he didn't have a great statistical year last year, and as with Urlacher, isn't getting any younger.

Their O-Line is still garbage unless Carimi turns into the next Joe Thomas. Cutler was sacked more than any QB last season, and it wasn't even close. It didn't really get any better as the season went on either, unlike what most people say. In fact, the last week of the season we got to him 6 times.

Also this haha

I feel ya, I just think the Bears are still the #2 team in the division as long as that defense is as good as it is. Their best players on D are definitely getting older though.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the Bears are frauds and will come back down to reality next year.

Packers 12-4
Lions 8-8
Bears 7-9
Vikings 6-10

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packers-12-4

bears-9-7

lions-7-9

vikes-2-14

the vikes will be that bad this year,even with the talent they have,they needed to have a good q.b to keep the ship right and the lions may have gotten some good draft picks but when you have q.b and w.r and good schemes well ya know the out come,not just bragging just the facts,we played some very good teams last year bears will crumble again with cutler like lions q.b they get ya so far and then fall.

V

Vikeman

packers-12-4

bears-9-7

lions-7-9

vikes-2-14

the vikes will be that bad this year,even with the talent they have,they needed to have a good q.b to keep the ship right and the lions may have gotten some good draft picks but when you have q.b and w.r and good schemes well ya know the out come,not just bragging just the facts,we played some very good teams last year bears will crumble again with cutler like lions q.b they get ya so far and then fall.

huh?

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Bears cant win crap with this guy throwing for them.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7_duxRMIh0]YouTube - Jay Cutler Interception Machine[/ame]

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9lIvnAr01Q]YouTube - Tribute to Jay Cutler[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8pJlCJjrrU"]YouTube - Sam Shields interceptions / picks vs. Bears in the NFC Championship Game[/ame]

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions challenge Packers for division.
Packers win division
Bears challenge Panthers for worst record in the NFL.
Vikings do not get above .500 but make solid improvement under Frazier.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
All things considered, and if everyone stays relatively healthy (big ifs), then the Packers will take the division hands down. With the guys they have returning and the experience gained from this past season. The Packers stand to be very strong the next couple of years. Although the caveat is the schedule could be challenging, but hey, last year was no cake walk.

I don't really agree with those who say this will be a tough division this coming year. The other three teams in the division are all struggling in their own way.

The Bears have an identity crisis, but they'll come in second place a couple of games behind the Packers.
I don't buy the Lions hype either. They're getting better but it will take a while. They'll be very lucky to post a .500 season.
The Vikings right now is an organization in free fall. I don't know if the new coach can pop enough parachutes to do anything but hope they don't hit ground too hard this season.

Members online

Latest posts