Harris Gets His Extension

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Wilde just reported it on ESPN Radio - two-year extension (through 2011) worth $4.5M plus incentives.

Excellent!! :jumpsmile:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so he's getting 2.85 million in 2009 and he's getting like 2.5 million for each of 2010 and 2011? i'm a bit confused i guess. can anybody explain it in average-joe terms? i thought he was reworking his current deal, not signing an extension that pays him hardly anything more than he's getting now.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very excited, thank god. I didn't want Al to get upset. I think Nick Barnett will get his extension as well.

"GOD TT SUCKS! WHAT A CHEAPASS!"
I hope these people stop soon.

OP
OP
S

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
so he's getting 2.85 million in 2009 and he's getting like 2.5 million for each of 2010 and 2011? i'm a bit confused i guess. can anybody explain it in average-joe terms? i thought he was reworking his current deal, not signing an extension that pays him hardly anything more than he's getting now.

His salary stays the same, but he'll be getting a total of $4.5 M in roster bonuses. Which is perfect, because if for some reason he gets cut, we're off the hook for the money.

Al's happy, and we're protected. Like I said... perfect.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is that 4.5 million dollars his combined salary for the 2010 and 2011 seasons? or is it bonuses? if it is bonus money, what will his salary be for those two seasons? or is the 4.5 his base salary for those two seasons, along with other bonuses he could earn?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition to whatever the salary is for 2010 and 2011, he gets $4.5 million in roster bonuses (over two years - I'd imagine the next two) and Pro Bowl incentives. There is no report on what his base salary will be in 2010 and 2011.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
"GOD TT SUCKS! WHAT A CHEAPASS!"
I hope these people stop soon.

I was being sarcastic, of course.

Al said he was gonna play his *** off to prove he's worth an increase, I hope he continues to play his *** off to show he was worth the extension.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering he is on the downside of his career I'm not so sure this is a good deal. If he is with the Packers those last few years he'll probably be nothing more than a nickel corner.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the first major move of the off-season, and it's a good one. As an added bonus, I like what Harris said in the article. It sounds like a good deal for both sides.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
"At the beginning of the season, I felt unappreciated. Then, as the season goes on, (the coaches) are giving me the top dude (to cover)," Harris said. "One time, I was about to go to practice, and Ted called me over to the side and said, 'Al, we haven't forgotten about this thing.' You're going to respect that, instead of a guy blowing you off, which he could have done." - Al Harris

I find this extremely interesting when compared to how Javon Walker claimed things went down for him.

I think Al handled this well. He let it be known he wanted compensation, he didn't let it interfere with his team or his game, then the staff took care of the rest.
Somewhat similar to what happened with Donald Driver.

This (in my opinion) enforces my belief that Walker forced himself out of GB, not Ted forcing him out.

Reaction score
Considering he is on the downside of his career I'm not so sure this is a good deal. If he is with the Packers those last few years he'll probably be nothing more than a nickel corner.

You are quite correct in pointing that potential problem out, but there are certain indications that will not be a problem:

1) It was Cliff Christl (I believe, not 100% sure) that said the difference between players who can play at a high level until their mid 30's and players who decline sharply as they age is "athleticism". Cliff specifically pointed out TO and Al Harris as two examples of athletes that have the ability to play at a high level provided they stay in great shape (which has never been the problem with Al).

2) In the most recent Packernews.com chat, the journalist talked about Robert Brooks. Brooks commented that if you stay in great shape, there is no reason you can't contribute into your late 30s. Brooks was a workout buff (the chat mentions he still is) and I'd take him on his word. Once again, Al is a hard worker and is in excellent shape. I do believe he'll stay in such shape.

3) The experience Al has is amazing. He has played against the best WRs as a nickel back AND a top CB. He would be able to point things out to the younger CBs while serving as someone who the younger CBs can turn to as a teacher type figure. That alone would be worth Al's contract, if he can instill the right attitude in players work wise and mentally.

4) Signing Al to an extension may very well hurt down the line IF he declines quickly. However with the NFL cap set to increase this year and next year yet again, the Packers will have a lot of money. That means first of all, Al's extension and overall new contract value will not be as much as other top CBs will seek and probably get (IE Nate Clements). Secondly, it will benefit more in the immediate future in terms of eliminating the perception that Green Bay as an organization try to low-ball players and refuse to redo contracts for great players. That will have an impact when a player decided whether or not Green Bay would be a good team to sign with. In that specific regard, getting this extension done might hurt down the line, but the immediate benefit outweighs any future negative implications.

Reaction score
"At the beginning of the season, I felt unappreciated. Then, as the season goes on, (the coaches) are giving me the top dude (to cover)," Harris said. "One time, I was about to go to practice, and Ted called me over to the side and said, 'Al, we haven't forgotten about this thing.' You're going to respect that, instead of a guy blowing you off, which he could have done." - Al Harris

I find this extremely interesting when compared to how Javon Walker claimed things went down for him.

I think Al handled this well. He let it be known he wanted compensation, he didn't let it interfere with his team or his game, then the staff took care of the rest.

This (in my opinion) enforces my belief that Walker forced himself out of GB, not Ted forcing him out.

Zero, I have to disagree with you there. I think TT learned from the Walker situation, and was willing to overlook certain aspects of things that Al probably did wrong.

IIRC, Al went to the PG and said something to the effects of "I don't think I'll be back here next here", and he was being really blunt. I was surprised at that, and I thought that was similar to Walker saying "I won't play in Green Bay again"...

I just think this is example of TT overlooking certain things which might not have been the best for Al to have gone about doing, and realizing how much of a key Al is to this team and deciding to get it done.

The quote about TT bringing Al over to the sideline, IMO, proves that TT learned from the Walker situation on how to handle such things.

Reaction score
Say Al declines, could it be feasible to push him over to Safety?

I don't think so. I believe we'll have a starting safety duo by the end of this year, and it'll eventually be Collins at FS and Underwood at SS. They are both young, Colling being 23 and Underwood being 24. They should be playing together for a while provided the resign, and I'd have to think they'll be resigned.

I suppose if one of them leaves, than Harris can be switched to S. However I'm not so sure that will be the best option if Collins & Underwood are the future at the position (as I expect them to be)...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Zero, I have to disagree with you there. I think TT learned from the Walker situation, and was willing to overlook certain aspects of things that Al probably did wrong.

IIRC, Al went to the PG and said something to the effects of "I don't think I'll be back here next here", and he was being really blunt. I was surprised at that, and I thought that was similar to Walker saying "I won't play in Green Bay again"...

I just think this is example of TT overlooking certain things which might not have been the best for Al to have gone about doing, and realizing how much of a key Al is to this team and deciding to get it done.

The quote about TT bringing Al over to the sideline, IMO, proves that TT learned from the Walker situation on how to handle such things.

I can't believe that Walker isn't the reason he's not here. Harris, proven vet, Walker had one good year and was a ***** about getting his money. Harris was to the point and played his game. Didn't Walker go on Rome flinging comments relating his situation to soldiers?

Maybe if Walker hadn't been injured he'd have gotten his extension and we'd be cheering him still on Sunday?

Put everything side by side and its obvious (for me anyhow) that Walker pushed himself out the door with unreasonable demands. He's my favorite WR to watch and I knew what he was asking was out of line.

My gosh, he was paid MILLIONS before he even took the field, had one good year going against 2nd and 3rd DB's, gets to the pro bowl, hires Drew and becomes (atleast publicly) a *****.

Driver, proved himself for more than one season.
Harris, proved himself for more than one season.
Walker, had one good season, went about it the wrong way.

What could he have learned? He didn't give in before the season started, just like he did with Walker. After the season was over Harris got his deal. Walker threw a hissy fit along with his step father and said he wanted out of GB essentially.

If anything, Ted learned that if the player is gonna whine about his contract that the team showed a lot of faith in him isn't going to show some faith in the organization you get rid of that person.

Driver and Harris showed faith, they got compensated for it. Walker was shown the door he desperately wanted after proving he had no faith the team would take care of him.

OP
OP
S

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not defending Walker or bashing Thompson, but, just to play the devil's advocate, maybe Ted learned from any mistakes he might have made with Walker...

{edit: I typed this before I read aadp's post...}

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah lets here it for tight *** Teddy...** end of sarcastic post**

One less excuse for Ted haters to complain about

Latest posts