Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Landry seems to be one of the most polarizing prospects in this draft class. His 2016 season was dominant, but his 2017 was disappointing. He demonstrates the rarest pure pass rush ability in this class, but is also unrefined.

Because of the question marks surrounding his 2017 season, I personally wanted to see an elite combine performance if I was going to feel good about him at #14. With the numbers in, I thought I would provide a little context.

The metrics that most heavily correspond to pass rush success in the NFL are the three cone drill (most especially) in conjunction with the jumps. Good figures in these drills, performed at a reasonable size, translate very well to success in the league.

Landry had a 36" vertical, 119" broad, and a 6.88 three cone at 6'2" 252 lbs.

To put those numbers into context, I ran some filters through pro-football reference. Going back to 2000, here are the edge prospects who were at least 245 lbs, had as 6.90 3C or better, and hit Landry's numbers in the jumps:
  • Von Miller, 2011, Broncos
  • Demarcus Ware, 2005, Cowboys
  • Kyle Vanden Bosch, 2001, Cardinals
  • David Pollack, 2005, Bengals
  • Connor Barwin, 2009, Texans
  • J.J. Watt, 2011, Texans
  • Brian Robison, 2007, Vikings
  • Jordan Willis, 2017, Bengals
  • T.J. Watt, 2017, Steelers
  • Tyus Bowser, 2017, Ravens
That's the whole list. Watt, Willis, and Bowser are obviously only a year in. All three showed promise but the jury is still out. Vanden Bosch, Barwin, and Robison have been or were all three very strong NFL starters. Miller, Ware, and Watt Sr. are obviously super stars. Pollack is the only bust of the group.

These numbers put Landry in rare, rare company. It's possible that it was only his ankle slowing him down in 2017. If that has checked out medically, the Packers would likely do well to take him at #14. These types of edge players are hard to come by.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Risky pick for sure. I'm hoping someone else takes the risk ahead of us. Although his athletic skills are undeniably impressive, his physical limitations are equally inferior. I place a larger emphasis on athletic skills, but you have to consider his stature and arm length could significantly impact his success at the next level.

Furthermore, his injury needs to be understood better. It may be a fluke or it could be symptomatic of a congenital issue.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/harold-landry

I'm all for taking a shot in the 2nd, but too risky at 14. I think he will be taken late first early 2nd.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Risky pick for sure. I'm hoping someone else takes the risk ahead of us. Although his athletic skills are undeniably impressive, his physical limitations are equally inferior. I place a larger emphasis on athletic skills, but you have to consider his stature and arm length could significantly impact his success at the next level.

Furthermore, his injury needs to be understood better. It may be a fluke or it could be symptomatic of a congenital issue.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/harold-landry

I'm all for taking a shot in the 2nd, but too risky at 14. I think he will be taken late first early 2nd.

He’s about 1/2” shorter than Von Miller in terms of both height and arm length.

He’s 1/2” shorter than Beasley but his arms are longer.

I think concerns over his size are overblown because people expected him to be smaller than he is. 6’2.5”, 252, and 33” arms is just fine for the style of rusher and level of athleticism in my opinion.

To me, the risk is the ankle. If he had a sprain and he tried to play through it and he’s fine now, then I don’t see why anyone would let that stop them. If it’s somehow chronic, then yeah that’s an issue.

But if he had been healthy last year and put up similar numbers to 2016, he’d be gone in the top 10 for sure and potentially top 5. His inconsistent 2017 is the only reason that he might be an option for the Packers.

If the blue chippers are gone, he’s my pick.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There are a handful of prospects I would be okay with at 14 and Landry is one of them. I really like how he moves in space and he has the necessary get off that is required. He looked head and shoulders better in field drills then anyone else at combine. He would be a solid pick at 14 if thats the direction the Packers decide to go.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think Landry is risky. He's a plug and play pass rusher imo.

And didn't David Pollack break his neck or something? I always liked him at Georgia. Pretty sure he broke his neck. Don't think you can call him a bust.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I really don't think Landry is risky. He's a plug and play pass rusher imo.

And didn't David Pollack break his neck or something? I always liked him at Georgia. Pretty sure he broke his neck. Don't think you can call him a bust.

Oh dang, you’re right. I didn’t know that.

Alright then! Bust proof metrics ;).

Members online

Latest posts