HaHa on accountability

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HaHa was asked yesterday about frustration and starting a lot of plays 20 yds off the line of scrimmage last year, and I thought his answer was pretty indicative as to what he thought about Dom's scheme...

"Last year we had to do what was best for the team, I wasn't involved in alot. Like I said, last year was last year."

Saying Last year we had to do what was best for the team tells me Dom was completely unwilling to change or adjust to anything. His scheme is what it was, and no matter what we were going to bang our heads against the wall every Sunday trotting it out there.

This answer (along with others he had) to me sounds like a guy who couldn't be happier that Dom is gone. We don't know if he (or anyone else for that matter) was voicing an opinion or not but he did what he was told and that was the end of it. He sounds like a guy who's ready for the new system and for accountability among his teammates.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He sounds like a guy who's ready for the new system and for accountability among his teammates.
not sure where in the quote he talks about accountability, but he does sound like he is happy about the change.

was Dom fired at this point? I can totally get it Dom was still his coach he would not speak his mind.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not sure where in the quote he talks about accountability, but he does sound like he is happy about the change.

was Dom fired at this point? I can totally get it Dom was still his coach he would not speak his mind.

He talks about accountability during the interview, not in that specific quote.

I believe Dom has just been fired at the time of that interview but I could be wrong. Personally, while it sounds nice to say, I have a hard time believing he was fully on board with Dom. Just one mans opinion though and his interview yesterday certainly wasn't a ringing endorsement of the previous scheme.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That was the response to his firing

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he was worried one of Dom's position coaches was going to be the new DC? I doubt he needed time to reflect on things.

That’s a possibility or he could just be saying what he feels and his words mean what they do at face value. We will never know. That interview was pretty telling though, sounds like coaching was the last thing he blamed, he loved dom and that the players were at fault. I don’t think it matters now, what’s done is done. We all hated dom and we’re all looking forward to an improved defense. Maybe the players liked him more than the fans did though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though he's young, I look at this year as a crossroads season for him. Do the lights come on and he takes the next step or not?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though he's young, I look at this year as a crossroads season for him. Do the lights come on and he takes the next step or not?

I think the lights have already came on for him considering he’s an all pro and pro bowler. The question is will he bounce back to form after a down season.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. HeeHaw didn't like his scheme responsibilities so he dogged it all year. Class act. Oh and then blame the coach for bonus points. Because the coach made you give up more 1st downs than any player in NFL history.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sure looked like Dom was having him give up 1st downs or else why would he be playing so deep (game after game) that he could not get to the receiver before he already had a 1st down.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't care who is coaching Ha Ha.....someone needs to teach the guy how to wrap up and make a tackle.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care who is coaching Ha Ha.....someone needs to teach the guy how to wrap up and make a tackle.
Don’t stop with HHCD, same could be said about most of the packers defensive players the last several years, that group had and maybe still has some of the worst fundamentals all the way around.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don’t stop with HHCD, same could be said about most of the packers defensive players the last several years, that group had and maybe still has some of the worst fundamentals all the way around.
Someone isn't teaching them proper pad level is all. :coffee:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seen...Burnett back in more of a fs position when haha first started in GB. Haha did well up closer in the mix.
Then Burnett was given the "woodson" role this last year+. Leaving haha back deep... and he isn't great back there...

I thought maybe McCarthy (like he does) played a conservative game plan , to train players. Teach fundamentals, and to learn to trust the team concept. Got to give players reps. Butler, sharper, Collins, Burnett, haha... they all had "it" early. But there was a long learning curve before they hit allpro status... Haha can only be so good if he isn't a complete well rounded safety...right? And do we pay him allpro safety salary next year??? McCarthy had to know if #1 , Burnett could take the next step to being "woodson". And #2, if haha could actually play safety like ed Reed. Smash you, AAAND play great coverage. or if he is just a above average S ,who makes plays but has holes in his coverage game?
Burnett isn't woodson. Haha isn't a great coverage safety. Burnett was much better playing back. They never should have gotten turned around. For what ever reason.

I'd like to see haha back up in the mix this year. Let the big guys push, and guys like haha, Jones, king, come in like lightning, and strike....

D

Deleted member 6794

We all hated dom and we’re all looking forward to an improved defense.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced the Packers have done enough at this point to end up with a significantly improved defense though.

I seen...Burnett back in more of a fs position when haha first started in GB. Haha did well up closer in the mix.
Then Burnett was given the "woodson" role this last year+. Leaving haha back deep... and he isn't great back there...

Haha can only be so good if he isn't a complete well rounded safety...right? And do we pay him allpro safety salary next year??? Haha isn't a great coverage safety. Burnett was much better playing back. They never should have gotten turned around. For what ever reason.

Clinton-Dix definitely has the skill set to perform at a high level while lining up at free safety. On the other hand Burnett was best suited to play close to the LOS.

If HHCD doesn't improve significantly there's no way the Packers should think about paying him All-Pro money by any means, especially as his second team selection in 2016 was a fluke.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I "HaHa'd" when I seen HaHa was speaking of accountability after his lackluster season in 2017.

He can talk about it all he wants, but he needs to back it up it on the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has this year to show us those words actually mean something. Until then, he sucked last year. Completely. Instead of rising up, he packed it in. Without a substantial rise in production and effort on the field, I'm not going to be sorry to see him go. I'm willing to let him chalk last year up as a mistake on his part, but if he doesn't strap it up and do his job this year, see ya. Go mope on someone else's team

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has this year to show us those words actually mean something. Until then, he sucked last year. Completely. Instead of rising up, he packed it in. Without a substantial rise in production and effort on the field, I'm not going to be sorry to see him go. I'm willing to let him chalk last year up as a mistake on his part, but if he doesn't strap it up and do his job this year, see ya. Go mope on someone else's team
Could this guy be Eddie Lacy 2.0? Might not be food that is his downfall but there is something that appears to be lacking in the drive department

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Scheme, coaching, technique....whatever. From where I was sitting last year Ha Ha looked like he was playing not to get hurt. The Packers already had committed to his 5th year option (2018) at $5.9M on 5/1/2017, so maybe in his head, he wanted to make sure he made it through the 2017 season without any major injuries.

This being his contract year, maybe we will see a different guy, a guy playing for a big 2nd contract.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scheme, coaching, technique....whatever. From where I was sitting last year Ha Ha looked like he was playing not to get hurt. The Packers already had committed to his 5th year option (2018) at $5.9M on 5/1/2017, so maybe in his head, he wanted to make sure he made it through the 2017 season without any major injuries.

This being his contract year, maybe we will see a different guy, a guy playing for a big 2nd contract.
And if that is correct .... I certainly would not want the Packers to be the team that gives it to him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And if that is correct .... I certainly would not want the Packers to be the team that gives it to him.
Contract years are interesting. Logically, you would think players are going 110% in order to try and maximize their future value. What happens after that 2nd contract is signed is a stat, if it exists, I would love to see. Is this the point in a players career where they coast or keep improving? Those 2nd contracts can be a ton of money, with more than enough guaranteed money to set a player up for life.

With the 5th year rule on 1st round rookies, I think we may have seen that danger with HaHa in his 3rd year (2016), which was decent enough for the Packers to exercise that 5th year option.

Members online

Latest posts