Gruden's Raiders HC Contract

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just sets the new bar for paying coaches is all. McCarthy is going to want $12M/year if he wins the SB next year.

For a sport/team that is willing to pay a single player (Carr).....$25M/year that doesn't seem like "that much" for a guy supposedly responsible for a business valued at over $2.1 Billion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's their money I guess. I liked Gruden, though I personally think they're paying a crap load of money for what amounts to a crap load of hype. There's a decent coach in there, but there's a lot more hype.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Chuckie. I'd be more curious as to what becomes of McKenzie. Chuckie will want roster control

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's their money I guess. I liked Gruden, though I personally think they're paying a crap load of money for what amounts to a crap load of hype. There's a decent coach in there, but there's a lot more hype.

Hype sells tickets and merchandise, especially when you are moving to Vegas!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but it only lasts so long. But I don't think this owner has a clue to what he's doing. I don't think they'll have many hardcore fans left after a while and any new ones they pick up will flutter away at the next squirrel that crosses their path.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hope this is on the first Raider Home Game Program Cover :D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn’t they fire this guy once? Let’s pay him 100 million when he returns because nothing says loyalty like a truck load of cash!

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

but it only lasts so long. But I don't think this owner has a clue to what he's doing. I don't think they'll have many hardcore fans left after a while and any new ones they pick up will flutter away at the next squirrel that crosses their path.

They will have very expensive luxury boxes to sell. I also think this will actually keep both hardcore and casual fans involved, especially important since they are moving the team.

GoPackGo1985

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crazy. Both the $10 million a years and the 10 year contract. If I looked right only 5 coaches have been at same job 10 or more straight years. Belichick, Harbaugh, Lewis, McCarthy and Tomlin. Payton would have been on list if he wasn’t suspended for 2012 season

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not for Jon Gruden. ;)

Not mad @ Jon Gruden...not at all. He created a market for himself. Teased all the teams over the years, saw an opening, and exploited it. Not my place to comment on whether or not he deserves it. However, the whole situation is organizational synergy. The Raiders are set up quite nicely for the next decade, whether Gruden finishes the contract or not.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't forget about what happened back in 2002 when Tampa Bay Traded with the Raiders to get Gruden as their coach.

The trade included Tampa Bay's 2002 and 2003 first-round draft picks, 2002 and 2004 second-round draft picks, and $8 million in cash

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just sets the new bar for paying coaches is all. McCarthy is going to want $12M/year if he wins the SB next year.

For a sport/team that is willing to pay a single player (Carr).....$25M/year that doesn't seem like "that much" for a guy supposedly responsible for a business valued at over $2.1 Billion.

MM just isn’t the personality or character Gruden is tho. Gruden just has this way about him that makes him must see t.v. Not to mention the fact that If you listen to the guy he sounds like he can write a book on football terminology based off x’s and o’s. MM just comes across as smug and overly bothered all the time. He’s boring . Outside of the one SB they really have nothing in common. I definitely feel like Gruden is the better coach.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn’t they fire this guy once? Let’s pay him 100 million when he returns because nothing says loyalty like a truck load of cash!

Definitely wasn’t fired from Oakland..Tampa Bay made them an offer they couldn’t refuse for Grudens services..worked out pretty well for both sides actually as they both went to the SB the next yr.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
MM just isn’t the personality or character Gruden is tho. Gruden just has this way about him that makes him must see t.v. Not to mention the fact that If you listen to the guy he sounds like he can write a book on football terminology based off x’s and o’s. MM just comes across as smug and overly bothered all the time. He’s boring . Outside of the one SB they really have nothing in common. I definitely feel like Gruden is the better coach.

I know that there is more to judging a coach then wins and losses, but when you look at Gruden VS McCarthy...

Gruden:

Regular season: 95-81
Post season: 5-4

McCarthy:

Regular season: 121-70-1
Post Season: 10-8

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I know that there is more to judging a coach then wins and losses, but when you look at Gruden VS McCarthy...

Gruden:

Regular season: 95-81
Post season: 5-4

McCarthy:

Regular season: 121-70-1
Post Season: 10-8
Fair to point out the obvious difference in starting QBs each guy has had to work with though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fair to point out the obvious difference in starting QBs each guy has had to work with though.

Totally fair. Like I said, coaching records aren't the only determining factor in rating the job that coaches do. Also remember McCarthy, just like Gruden with Tampa Bay, inherited quite a mess from Sherman when he was hired.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess the Raiders already have a gambling problem before ever moving to Vegas...

Members online

Latest posts