Green Bay should go get DK Metcalf

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You aren't getting a first for two late seconds, I don't see that or care what chart claims it.

Pfft...

I'm old enough to remember Kevin Costner trading 3 2nds for the #6 overall pick then flipping that to get the #7 overall pick and get his 2 future 1st round picks back.

And a punt returner...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
49ers send the Dolphins:
2021 First Round Pick (ends up the 12th) = 1200
2022 First Round Pick = Unknown due to standings, but lets be conservative and us 16th (middle) for value estimated 1000
2022 Third Round Pick = Same as above 190
2023 First Round Pick = 1000
Total Rough Estimation = 3390 points

All for the #3 pick. Now that #3 pick holds a value of 2200 per the chart you sent, which to be fair is one of my favorite ones out there.
I was under the impression that future years picks were devalued one round per year when included. Such as next year's 2nd equates to roughly this year's 3rd. That would lower the "points" the 9ers sent to Miami quite a bit.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was under the impression that future years picks were devalued one round per year when included. Such as next year's 2nd equates to roughly this year's 3rd. That would lower the "points" the 9ers sent to Miami quite a bit.

Rumor some folks say. I was conservative in nature going middle which if you look over historical trades has some defense isn’t he thought process except in special teams involved because only two wins sometimes swings a team picking in the teens and the twenties.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Really hard to accurately value a future pick, since you have no clue where it would land in a particular round. However, if I was setting up a trade and the only 2 teams interested were the Rams and the Jaguars, I would value a future pick from the Jags a lot higher.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@mradtke66 I actually didn't want to spend a ton of time, but was curious of just the recent ones...here are some trades that were pure draft picks from last year I grabbed.

(snipped for length)

There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in value vs. the chart, other than the top of the draft.

23rd to 14th example has a difference of less than 50 points.

40th to 35th has a difference of just over 30 points.

59 to 52 has a different of less than 10 points.

For a value compare, our original 4th (not our comp pick) is worth 40 points.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in value vs. the chart, other than the top of the draft.

23rd to 14th example has a difference of less than 50 points.

40th to 35th has a difference of just over 30 points.

59 to 52 has a different of less than 10 points.

For a value compare, our original 4th (not our comp pick) is worth 40 points.

Of course the value becomes less when entering late rounds, at that point many GMs depending on their roster structure looks at it more and more as just amount of picks and less where.

Reaction score
After the way he acted when they played us. No Thank you!!!!
Go girl! you tell ‘em! :tup:

I am in full agreement with not capitulating to the lower players standards we sometimes see.
Those bad attitude are infectious and not in a good way.

For me I’m open to players who show they have grown up some. I’m not sure that applies here though

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of course the value becomes less when entering late rounds, at that point many GMs depending on their roster structure looks at it more and more as just amount of picks and less where.
Yup. I have seen some Draft Value Charts put 7th rounders at 1 point. Come on, you telling me that you wouldn't trade the first pick in the 6th (worth 14 points) for 14 7th round picks?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. I have seen some Draft Value Charts put 7th rounders at 1 point. Come on, you telling me that you wouldn't trade the first pick in the 6th (worth 14 points) for 14 7th round picks?

If you could find someone that *had/has* 14 7th round picks, it'd could be worth it. The trick is finding someone with that many.

You cannot trade more than 3 years into the future (I think the loophole is on draft day, you can do this draft + 3, but still.) The practical limitation would be something like 5 7ths (1 comp, this year, and 3 future years) . With some crazy trading down, yes, you could end up with a few more, but that'd be difficult to actually pull of.

And if you went through the effort of getting 14 7th round picks, presumably you'd actually have a plan for them? Or want to use them yourself?

Reaction score

Interesting point made. I Haven’t considered that
I’d easily take even FIVE players in Round 7 over 1 anywhere in Round 6

Then I’d trade all those 7th Rounders for Metcalf

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you could find someone that *had/has* 14 7th round picks, it'd could be worth it. The trick is finding someone with that many.

You cannot trade more than 3 years into the future (I think the loophole is on draft day, you can do this draft + 3, but still.) The practical limitation would be something like 5 7ths (1 comp, this year, and 3 future years) . With some crazy trading down, yes, you could end up with a few more, but that'd be difficult to actually pull of.

And if you went through the effort of getting 14 7th round picks, presumably you'd actually have a plan for them? Or want to use them yourself?
It wasn't a practical plan at all, but I do like having a few 7th rounders, since to me they lock up the preferred Free Agents that you might otherwise lose to another team.

My point was coinciding with what Tiny said....when you take into account later round picks, a 6th and a 7th really aren't a lot different, but the draft tables sure treat them differently.

Reaction score
It wasn't a practical plan at all, but I do like having a few 7th rounders, since to me they lock up the preferred Free Agents that you might otherwise lose to another team.

My point was coinciding with what Tiny said....when you take into account later round picks, a 6th and a 7th really aren't a lot different, but the draft tables sure treat them differently.
That’s a great place to find several Stalwarts for ST without breaking the bank. It’s also an area that can be stashed on PS and other teams won’t poach (due to them having to use a roster spot).

It’s an area that if you take a chance and miss.. are you really that disappointed in the minuscule resources applied?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pfft...

I'm old enough to remember Kevin Costner trading 3 2nds for the #6 overall pick then flipping that to get the #7 overall pick and get his 2 future 1st round picks back.

And a punt returner...

I keep waiting for them to get rid of the Wonderlic test at the combine and replace it with a birthday party guest list. Apparently its a far more accurate indicator.

@mradtke66 I actually didn't want to spend a ton of time, but was curious of just the recent ones...here are some trades that were pure draft picks from last year I grabbed.

49ers send the Dolphins:
2021 First Round Pick (ends up the 12th) = 1200
2022 First Round Pick = Unknown due to standings, but lets be conservative and us 16th (middle) for value estimated 1000
2022 Third Round Pick = Same as above 190
2023 First Round Pick = 1000
Total Rough Estimation = 3390 points

All for the #3 pick. Now that #3 pick holds a value of 2200 per the chart you sent, which to be fair is one of my favorite ones out there.

Jets trade up nine spots from 23rd to 14th overall sending:

2021 First Round #23 = 760
2021 Third Round #66= 260
2021 Third Round #86= 160
TOTAL - 1180

FOR

2021 First Round #14 = 1100
2021 Fourth Round #143 = 34.5
TOTAL - 1134.5

DAY 2 Trade where Denver traded up from 40th to 35th, cost:

2021 Second Round #40 = 500
2021 Fourth Round #122 = 50
2021 Fourth Round #139 = 36.5
TOTAL - 586.5

FOR

2021 Second Round #35 =550
2021 Sixth Round #219 = 2
TOTAL - 552

Another Day 2 trade saw Browns trade up from 59 to 52 with carolina, cost:

2021 Second Round #59 = 310
2021 Third Round #89 = 145
TOTAL - 455

FOR

2021 Second Round #52 = 380
2021 Fourth Round #113 = 68
TOTAL - 448

Day 3 trade we did to move from 92 to 85, cost:

2021 Third Round #92 = 132
2021 Fourth Round #135 = 40
TOTAL - 172

FOR

2021 Third #85 = 165
When it comes to top 5, maybe even top 10 picks and when you are talking about a likely QB you can probably throw the chart out the window. Once you get out of the first round the chart may be fairly accurate. The team moving up will likely have to give up more though simply as an incentive to get the other team to move. As far as 6th and 7th rounders I think they are often used as throw ins to sweeten the deal a bit. Seems like a more popular tactic to sway the other team is a swap of picks in the same round. The Rams would probably much rather swap picks in the 5th round with the Jets than get an extra 6th or 7th rounder.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, we'll see about the Seahawks. They won't advertise it, but they're on a fire sale.

Metcalf is in the last year of his rookie deal.

No 5th year option available. Sure they could tag him, he'll be unhappy especially without a QB for the foreseeable future.

Also, if/when he does get a deal from Seattle, does he want a rookie throwing to him?

Last, does a QB that loves to throw the ball wanna play on a Pete Carroll team with a run first identity?

Even teams on a fire sale hold on to young, talented players. There might be a small chance they're interested in trading Lockett though.

You aren't getting a first for two late seconds, I don't see that or care what chart claims it.

As an example, in 2019, Washington traded their second round pick (46th) and a second rounder in 2020 to the Colts for the 26th selection.

Holy ****, which team has 14 picks in the seventh round??? Gutekunst needs to immediately pick up the phone and talk to them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an example, in 2019, Washington traded their second round pick (46th) and a second rounder in 2020 to the Colts for the 26th selection.

Big difference there is the level of picks present there compared to what we have this year....and what teams are there in the late 1st to work with.

IF such a trade were to be pulled off there is really only one team present in the 26th-32 range I see as an option; the Titans. They are sitting at 26, and the reason they really could want to move back is they have zero round 2 picks this year. Providing their board illustrates it, they could see more value in two seconds than that one first this year....the other teams I don't think move for sure are Chiefs (30), Buccs (27), Bengals (31, Detroit (32)....Dolphins is the only outside chance at 29.

I am personally thinking that we could very much so see Gute not pick at either #22 or #28. I could see a trade up from 22 and a trade back with the 28 honestly....I see that far more likely than trading our two 2s into an additional first rounder.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even teams on a fire sale hold on to young, talented players. There might be a small chance they're interested in trading Lockett though.

Lockett won't be trade-able until after '23... right now they'd be carrying $31Mil dead money AND be negative on the cap by almost $6Mil by trading him.

Great example of (2) 2nd's for a bottom of the 1st trade!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big difference there is the level of picks present there compared to what we have this year....and what teams are there in the late 1st to work with.

Yes and no. Their 46th is higher than what we have, but "next year's picks" are generally under valued. As you don't know how the team you're trading with is going to finish, the rule I've heard (and this is obviously subjective) is you treat as top of the next round. IE, The 2020 2nd is now the 65th.

Even the difference between the 46th and 53rd isn't a lot. 60 points or 117th (Rd4, Pick 12.)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lockett won't be trade-able until after '23... right now they'd be carrying $31Mil dead money AND be negative on the cap by almost $6Mil by trading him.
I am seeing that more and more as I look at other teams players. It's the new trend in the NFL....resign a guy for a ton of money and then push out the hit just past when you think said player needs to be revaluated. There is really very little wiggle room for a team when guys are on these contracts. Either play it out or take a massive hit.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Holy ****, which team has 14 picks in the seventh round??? Gutekunst needs to immediately pick up the phone and talk to them.
Carroll inferred he would be interested in bringing back Geno Smith.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Back to the question posed about trading for Metcalf...if you believe Pete...it's a "no". Of course the Packers said the same about Davante.

Gregg Bell

@gbellseattle

Pete Carroll says on @933KJR Seahawks will try hard to re-sign DK Metcalf before 2022 season begins: "It's really important to us. We love him. He maybe will go down as one of the great draft picks we've ever had here. "We are going to do everything we can to get it done."
5:50 PM · Mar 22, 2022

Reaction score
Back to the question posed about trading for Metcalf...if you believe Pete...it's a "no". Of course the Packers said the same about Davante.

Gregg Bell
@gbellseattle
Pete Carroll says on @933KJR Seahawks will try hard to re-sign DK Metcalf before 2022 season begins: "It's really important to us. We love him. He maybe will go down as one of the great draft picks we've ever had here. "We are going to do everything we can to get it done."
5:50 PM · Mar 22, 2022
Yeah it’s all a pipe dream… and I ain’t talking tobacco.:coffee:

I know I’m a party pooper Poker, but after seeing these initial aggressive deals? I don’t believe we sign any high profile player. I think we let the initial fire die down a bit, then grab a mid tier veteran for $5-15m and then prioritize this draft by landing a top 3-4 WR option + a top 7-10 WR option. This draft is filled with beauties between #20 something and #50-something overall. Right where we finally and rarely have necessary firepower.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts