Green Bay Packer phenomenon

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Drinking a lot of #1 helps out immensely with #4.

It is true, every thing looks better when you are wearing beer goggles. Just be careful with too much of #2 and #3 or you will be watching the game alone, with the windows open. Oh wait....pass me the cheesy brats!

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lombardi played a big role. I had seen a documentary last year and in it they talked about Lombardi telling his wife that he wants to coach in GB and the wife was like "where is that?" they grab a map and GB was not on the map, and Lombardi said that when he is done he will make sure GB is on the map, that along with superbowl 1 which gave it national coverage put GB on the map. But I guess there may not be one right answer, since they still describe GB as an anomaly today, since professional teams dont survive in small markets, GB being the exception.

Actually it wouldn't matter now. You could put a team in New Mexico or Idaho and the shared revenue would pay for it and they still may profit. TV networks don't care where a team is,they'll go and cover it.
Look at Jaguars

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually it wouldn't matter now. You could put a team in New Mexico or Idaho and the shared revenue would pay for it and they still may profit. TV networks don't care where a team is,they'll go and cover it.
Look at Jaguars

Prior to shared revenue from the TV networks the Packers were kept afloat by the stock sales and the insurance money from the Rockwood Lodge fire. I think the stock sales are only allowed because the team in a non profit organization. It's amazing how people will pay $200 for a piece of paper to hang on the wall !

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers fans great determination saved and kept this team going prior to revenue sharing and came through again for the stadium renovations. When the Packer organization asks for help.....the fans say how much ? Would any other teams fans do the same ? Another reason to love this team !

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prior to shared revenue from the TV networks the Packers were kept afloat by the stock sales and the insurance money from the Rockwood Lodge fire. I think the stock sales are only allowed because the team in a non profit organization. It's amazing how people will pay $200 for a piece of paper to hang on the wall !

Should save this for the off-season. Could generate a long thread on what some folks will spend money on that others think is ridiculous.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stock ownership in the Packers is more like a donation to a charity. Although you do get to vote and attend the shareholders meeting. What they should do is set aside four seats in the executive suite and let shareholders attend one game free.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Stock ownership in the Packers is more like a donation to a charity. Although you do get to vote and attend the shareholders meeting. What they should do is set aside four seats in the executive suite and let shareholders attend one game free.
I see it more as a once-in-a-lifetime price of admission to an exclusive fan club. I believe you could purchase an owners only version superbowl ring which was not available to the general public as one perk.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I think Lombardi played a big role. I had seen a documentary last year and in it they talked about Lombardi telling his wife that he wants to coach in GB and the wife was like "where is that?" they grab a map and GB was not on the map, and Lombardi said that when he is done he will make sure GB is on the map, that along with superbowl 1 which gave it national coverage put GB on the map.

VERY minor point (almost not worth making), but I believe that was Lombrdi's daughter, Susan.

The Lombardi Era, I agree, has to be a factor in the team's popularity/survival.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I don't know, it has out performed a lot of IPO stocks I bought :coffee:

Although a cool idea of the 4 seats to a game for stock holders, I doubt 360,760 people will fit into 4 seats. If you did it 4 at a time, just rough math.....would take 90,190 games before everyone got a seat for a game. Almost better odds then season tickets?

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I see it more as a once-in-a-lifetime price of admission to an exclusive fan club. I believe you could purchase an owners only version superbowl ring which was not available to the general public as one perk.

I have two shares and the ring (white gold with diamonds). I love them. I love the unique relationship we get to have with our franchise, and I am not bothered in the slightest that my stock has no monetary value. It's a cool thing.

I have had a few people belittle it to me. I always find that curious. I mean...what's it to them? I get out of it what I want out of it, and I'll do it again if they offer it again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Proud owner as well. Framed art work, memorabilia, whatever you may want to call it, a stock cert like this one is special in what it means, can't place a $$ value, which by the way is also just paper, on that. Born a Packer fan and will die one.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, it has out performed a lot of IPO stocks I bought :coffee:

Although a cool idea of the 4 seats to a game for stock holders, I doubt 360,760 people will fit into 4 seats. If you did it 4 at a time, just rough math.....would take 90,190 games before everyone got a seat for a game. Almost better odds then season tickets?

I just knew someone would do the math ! (lol). 90,190 games would be 5,637 seasons. So by the 7652 season every shareholder will get to see a game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just knew someone would do the math ! (lol). 90,190 games would be 5,637 seasons. So by the 7652 season every shareholder will get to see a game.

Actually, not including preseason and playoffs, it would be 11,274 seasons/years, since there are only 8 home games (think you factored in 16). But who is counting, by that time I would be dead. :coffee:

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OP had a list of those old town teams, the only reason the Packers weren't shut down/moved with the rest of them was Don Hudson. If the Packers had been mediocre to bad in the mid 20's to very early 30's, they'd have been gone.

And in the meantime, Lambeau tried to move the team to LA and failed. Perhaps the NFL wanted the Packers gone again, but they became the dynasty of the 60's and have had nationwide, if not worldwide, support since.

And these days, there's revenue sharing, so long as the Packers/Brown County support the spectacle necessary to hang, the Packers will be around. The latest hurdle was the plebiscite on refurbishing Lambeau Field, which passed, due to Bob Harlan's tireless efforts. If a time is reached where the population of the County refuses to support the stadium, and its ever necessary expansion, the Packers may be forced to move or be contracted. Perhaps before that happens, financing will be assessed on a wider tax base, most likely involuntarily.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Packers were always meant to stay in Green Bay. Plus only team in all of sports to be owned by the fans. That is why they are so popular and loved.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OP had a list of those old town teams, the only reason the Packers weren't shut down/moved with the rest of them was Don Hudson. If the Packers had been mediocre to bad in the mid 20's to very early 30's, they'd have been gone.

And in the meantime, Lambeau tried to move the team to LA and failed. Perhaps the NFL wanted the Packers gone again, but they became the dynasty of the 60's and have had nationwide, if not worldwide, support since.

And these days, there's revenue sharing, so long as the Packers/Brown County support the spectacle necessary to hang, the Packers will be around. The latest hurdle was the plebiscite on refurbishing Lambeau Field, which passed, due to Bob Harlan's tireless efforts. If a time is reached where the population of the County refuses to support the stadium, and its ever necessary expansion, the Packers may be forced to move or be contracted. Perhaps before that happens, financing will be assessed on a wider tax base, most likely involuntarily.

Some very good points:

I was really surprised that the Brown County tax vote for stadium renovations was so close. Don't they realize the importance of the Packers to the area's economy ?

D

Deleted member 6794

While Hutson was a great player for the Packers from 1935-45 he for sure wasn't the reason why the team wasn't shut down.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Some very good points:

I was really surprised that the Brown County tax vote for stadium renovations was so close. Don't they realize the importance of the Packers to the area's economy ?
Building a good sized convention center or a large indoor waterpark with the money would have had a greater return on investment at the time.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Packers surviving was that they won, and found ways to stay in business. Gumption is a good word for it. Lambeau wouldn't let the team die out, nor did the fans, some becoming owner's of the team, and that crazy thing called wins. Packers have the most Championships of any team and guess what, people like winners. What I find crazy is that the Cleveland Brown's still exist.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers surviving was that they won, and found ways to stay in business. Gumption is a good word for it. Lambeau wouldn't let the team die out, nor did the fans, some becoming owner's of the team, and that crazy thing called wins. Packers have the most Championships of any team and guess what, people like winners. What I find crazy is that the Cleveland Brown's still exist.[/QUOTE

The Browns were an AAFC power in the late 40's and made it to the NFL championship game their first six years in the league.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Robert,

The Green Bay Packers , Inc. are publically owned non profit corporation and the Packers have operated as nonprofit corporation since 1923.

In 1923 the Green Bay Packers, Inc, filed Articles of Incorporation to The State of Wisconsin Secretary of the State.

According to the Green Bay Packers Inc. Articles of Incorporation:

Green Bay Packers, Inc. Stockholders can only vote for candidates to the Packer Board of Directors and attend the annual Stockholders meeting.

Also Packer Stock holders shall not receive any dividends or pecuniary profit

Packers giving free Packer tickets for luxury boxes to Packer stock holders may be considered pecuniary profit and not be allowed.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert,

The Green Bay Packers , Inc. are publically owned non profit corporation and the Packers have operated as nonprofit corporation since 1923.

In 1923 the Green Bay Packers, Inc, filed Articles of Incorporation to The State of Wisconsin Secretary of the State.

According to the Green Bay Packers Inc. Articles of Incorporation:

Green Bay Packers, Inc. Stockholders can only vote for candidates to the Packer Board of Directors and attend the annual Stockholders meeting.

Also Packer Stock holders shall not receive any dividends or pecuniary profit

Packers giving free Packer tickets for luxury boxes to Packer stock holders may be considered pecuniary profit and not be allowed.

Thanks.....I think we all know these facts......what's your point ?

Members online

Latest posts