Going into the draft/off-season

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'm looking at this team, and I see 3 or 4 glaring needs. One due to age, one due to injury, the others due to under performance.

Back up QB: I think we all realize that Senecca Wallace is a bad option as our back up, and Scott Tolzien might eventually be a decent option, but he isn't ready. What I would do is draft a guy 4th round or later, and I have two options here. I would like to see us get either Tommy Rees from Notre Dame. Or if we want a guy more like Rodgers I would draft Nick Montana of Tulane. Yes Nick is Joe's kid, but I saw him at Notre Dame briefly before he transferred, and I saw him play for Tulane, and right now the only difference between him and Senecca Wallace is experience, otherwise Nick is the better QB. And let's be honest with the way the O-Line is playing worst case scenario can happen on any play, more so with this team!

Offensive Line: We don't just need one guy here, but there is a guy going to be available when we draft in the 1st round or early 2nd (if Ted chooses to trade down for more picks). His father uncle and grandfather all played in the NFL. His cousin is a Packer. He has played Center and Tackle in his college career, he is also the long snapper (Saves cap space if we draft him) on his college team. While he isn't the complete fix the first O-Lineman I would draft is Jake Matthews of Texas A&M.

TE: The guy I would've loved to have ended up being drafted by Cincinnati, and while watching a lot of college football I haven't spotted anybody I would target. Due to JerMichael Finley's injury we need to do something.

ILB: I've been really impressed with two guys at this position. One I'm concerned about from a speed coverage standpoint, but I'll get to him first. Carlo Calabrese from Notre Dame. He's a solid AJ Hawk type linebacker, a bit slow, but seems to make up for it with intensity and instincts. The other guys is CJ Mosley ILB Alabama. I'm an Auburn Tigers fan, so for me to even look at a Bama player the guy has got to be good! The main reason I think we need to draft here is we can't keep the spot opposite AJ Hawk filled, combine that with the fact that AJ is now what 31, and can't play forever? I'd like to see either of these guys for the reasons I just stated.

As always I'm interested in everyone's opinions on what we need, as well as my thoughts.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First - this is way too early to start going down this road.

But, for the sake of argument, I don't think we'll go offensive line early. TT's spent top picks on tackles recently and we have good depth there. Plus, you can't invest that many resources in one position. We have talent there - we just need them to stay healthy.

ILB - if hasn't gotten rid of Hawk by now, he never will - especially now that he's having a career year. And Lattimore is showing that this is a deep position group.

TE - Depends on JMike's status. But, yes, that could be a position of need.

The positions I foresee a need:

Safety - MD Jennings/Banjo are good backups and their deficiencies are covered by how good our secondary is around them.

D-Line - Pickett is gone after this year (unless he signs a very team-friendly deal). And Jolly, Raji, and Wilson are all FAs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety is at the top of my list for sure. We need a guy who can play all three downs instead of two backups filling that role.

DT/DE. Pickett is old, Raji is expensive, and Worthy still isn't practicing. Enough said

Wr/TE. James Jones contract is up, Finley may never be the same and Jordy is one cut from being out with a hammy.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
IMO, the top two needs are: NT, OL-Center

Next level of need: Safety, ILB.

Should also keep an eye out for prospects: QB

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's never too early to think about the roster...and I expect that TT and his staff are already scheming.

My order of need would be:
Safety, Quarterback, Defensive Line, Tight End, Offensive Line, Inside Linebacker, Wide Receiver, Place Kicker

Safety could drop depending on how Jennings and Banjo end up later this season, but at the moment it's at the top of the list.

At quarterback, I'd like to see them draft a mid-round prospect as well as bring in a veteran to be the real backup. We didn't sniff that market last year because most (I know not all) thought that Harrell would progress, but he pulled a Ponder. It's a serious concern and I'd look to get a 3rd or 4th year guy that needs a fresh start in addition to our draft pick.

D-line has been covered well. Pickett is likely gone and either way is getting long in the tooth. We need more and are seeing the benefits of solid depth with our Run-D this season.

Tight end needs more. Even if Finley comes back this year I'm pretty sure that this medical risk just put a cap on his Packer career. We need more than Quarless and a bunch of scrubs.

The O-line is good. Nobody, and I mean nobody, predicted that Bahktiari would come out of the gates a provide a Chad Clifton-esque wall at LT. I'd like to see what Tretter has next year and also see if Sherrod plays this season, and if so how well. We'll have Bulaga coming back, Bahktiari, Sitton, and EDS making a very good four-some. Lang is good but I'd like more guard competition, a solid backup at center, and Barclay as our primary backup at tackle. Newhouse hits the road.

I really don't see problems with our ILB depth with Hawk, Brad Jones, and Lattimore. If the opportunity is there I'd like to bring in some youth for the future.

The same goes with WR. We'll still have Nelson and assume that we will retain James Jones. Cobb will be back and Boykins is turning into a solid #3. This position likely won't be addressed in the draft unless a gem is left after the tide pulls away, otherwise it will be a UDFA scenario.

I'm still a Crosby guy but this season taught us that he needs incentive and competition. Waste a 7th rounder on a PK or pick up two of them in the UDFA market. Have them all keep the pressure on Crosby and keep his compensation tied to success. It's working so far.

Depending on injury scenarios at the end of the season, I use my first round pick on Safety, D-Line, or Tight End - best player available at any of those positions. If they are all reaches then I trade out of the first round to get more value / higher chance of drafting contributors.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety/TE/QB#2/WR#4

Don't see anything else as a 'need' and I am anticipating a FA loss here or there.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First - this is way too early to start going down this road.

But, for the sake of argument, I don't think we'll go offensive line early. TT's spent top picks on tackles recently and we have good depth there. Plus, you can't invest that many resources in one position. We have talent there - we just need them to stay healthy.

ILB - if hasn't gotten rid of Hawk by now, he never will - especially now that he's having a career year. And Lattimore is showing that this is a deep position group.

TE - Depends on JMike's status. But, yes, that could be a position of need.

The positions I foresee a need:

Safety - MD Jennings/Banjo are good backups and their deficiencies are covered by how good our secondary is around them.

D-Line - Pickett is gone after this year (unless he signs a very team-friendly deal). And Jolly, Raji, and Wilson are all FAs.

I think Banjo can transition to a starter with more time. Maybe as early as next year. I also think Hyde is a Safety too as well, so we might be ok there...MIGHT. D-Line I'd like to see us get Louis Nix, but something tells me he gets snatched before we draft. Otherwise I've not seen anyone that really grabs my interest.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'm seeing it like this. Pickett is getting old and we are going to need a replacement. A lot of casual fans don't realize how important he is to the team in the middle. Second, we have some young talent on Defense, but a stud FS/SS would really put this defense over the top. Third, we need a more physical center/interior offensive lineman. We're on the verge of having an O-line that is very mobile and physical. That's exactly what we need for a pass first offense that needs to run the ball. Last, but not least we need some more offensive weapons. Be it a tight end or wide receiver. So drafting best available in no particular order we need: NT, FS/SS, TE/WR, C/G.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In no particular order:

1) TE
2) OLine
3) Safety
4) Receiver
5) Outside Linebacker

The team is strong along the defensive line, running back and corner. Rodgers is Rodgers, so the Packers are extremely good there.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Safety is imperative.

Clinton-Dix would have to be the 1st round pick but he is a freakin beast.
Lamarcus Joyner out of FSU is small but sound and is probably available in the 2nd round.

Zimmerman out of Kansas State seems right up TT's alley and would probably be an early day 3 pick.

I think I would go with the big name in Clinton-Dix early and then use the later picks for other needs....primarily o-line depth.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't see a need on OL, except possibly C. FS, TE, NT (assuming we don't renew somebody) are top needs. ILB next followed by OLB depth and WR, then FB. QB is also a possibility if Flynn isn't retained.

Members online

Latest posts