Free Agents - Pick 7 Players

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way Cobb will only get $4-6 million a year.

Yea, you're right, that's probably a little low. More in the $6-8 per year is closer. I love everything about Randall, and I think he is going to be one of the most dynamic players in the NFL. I think with him, Jordy, Boykin and we are set at WR for awhile. Which is why bringing JJ back to me doesn't seem necessary.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yea, you're right, that's probably a little low. More in the $6-8 per year is closer. I love everything about Randall, and I think he is going to be one of the most dynamic players in the NFL. I think with him, Jordy, Boykin and we are set at WR for awhile. Which is why bringing JJ back to me doesn't seem necessary.

I would like to bring James Jones back as I´m not sure the Packers will be able to re-sign Nelson and Cobb.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to bring James Jones back as I´m not sure the Packers will be able to re-sign Nelson and Cobb.

If we can get Jones back on a deal like the last one, I'd be ok with it. He's never had 1000 yards, I realize he isn't the #1 option, roughly 5 TD's per year which is elevated due to the 14 TD year. What would you pay him?

D

Deleted member 6794

If we can get Jones back on a deal like the last one, I'd be ok with it. He's never had 1000 yards, I realize he isn't the #1 option, roughly 5 TD's per year which is elevated due to the 14 TD year. What would you pay him?

I would be excited if they could re-sign to a deal similar to the one he got in 2011. I think he´ll ask for more though, not sure he´ll get it on the open market though.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be excited if they could re-sign to a deal similar to the one he got in 2011. I think he´ll ask for more though, not sure he´ll get it on the open market though.

You need to keep in mind he's a different player now than he was 3 years ago. He overcame all those mental errors he had at least once every other game and developed into a fine and solid WR. It's probably his last chance for a big pay day, so I'm pretty sure he'll go for it and this time there will be a market for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

You need to keep in mind he's a different player now than he was 3 years ago. He overcame all those mental errors he had at least once every other game and developed into a fine and solid WR. It's probably his last chance for a big pay day, so I'm pretty sure he'll go for it and this time there will be a market for him.

We´ll see. I´m glad he didn´t hit free agency after leading the league in TD catches in 2012. He has never had more than 64 catches or 817 recieving yards in a season so far and he´ll turn 30 before the start of next season, so I´m not sure there will be a team offering him huge money in free agency.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We´ll see. I´m glad he didn´t hit free agency after leading the league in TD catches in 2012. He has never had more than 64 catches or 817 recieving yards in a season so far and he´ll turn 30 before the start of next season, so I´m not sure there will be a team offering him huge money in free agency.

no, you're right. I wasn't telling he's going to break the bank (or at least I tried not to). My point was, he'll be probably to expensive for us to keep him around. He should be able to get a new contract worth about 4-6 per year / 3-4 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

My point was, he'll be probably to expensive for us to keep him around.

That's absolutely possible.

He should be able to get a new contract worth about 4-6 per year / 3-4 years.

Agree with you on that as well. I just hope he'll get offered closer to $4 million a year on the open market and might take a little less to stay with the Packers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree on James Jones don't think he is a must resign. That money could be spent more usefully elsewhere.
http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/10/nfc-north-free-agency/?eref=sihp

Free Agency Primer: NFC North

Green Bay Packers

Key free agents: QB Matt Flynn, RB James Starks, FB John Kuhn, WR James Jones, TE Jermichael Finley, TE Andrew Quarless, OT Marshall Newhouse, C Evan Dietrich-Smith, DE Mike Neal, DT Johnny Jolly, DT Ryan Pickett, DT B.J. Raji, CB Sam Shields

Players Green Bay needs back: Flynn, Starks, Kuhn, James Jones, Quarless, Dietrich-Smith, Neal, Shields, Pickett

Jones didn’t match his exceptional 2012 season last year (he missed time and played injured. Most WR's would have missed more time), but he’s a valuable cog for an offense that favors multi-receiver sets.

Once again, one of our own fans is dis-respecting James Jones.
I've seen this for years with this guy. I don't know what it is.... that he's not a blazer, that he had drops until after that 2010 season, that he's not a trash talker and demonstrative, or that he prays like Tebow.
Something rubs some fans the wrong way.

This guy is good.
Capable of greatness (led the NFL in TD Catches in 2012).
Very unselfish, which is perfect on a team that Rodgers spreads the ball around to.
And he's a great teammate, great person, and he was THE GUY Ted Thompson drafted with that 2007 3rd round pick that was almost traded for Randy Moss.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Free Agency Primer: NFC North

Once again, one of our own fans is dis-respecting James Jones.
I've seen this for years with this guy. I don't know what it is.... that he's not a blazer, that he had drops until after that 2010 season, that he's not a trash talker and demonstrative, or that he prays like Tebow.
Something rubs some fans the wrong way.

This guy is good.
Capable of greatness (led the NFL in TD Catches in 2012).
Very unselfish, which is perfect on a team that Rodgers spreads the ball around to.
And he's a great teammate, great person, and he was THE GUY Ted Thompson drafted with that 2007 3rd round pick that was almost traded for Randy Moss.

At what point did I ever disrespect James Jones? I have no issue with him as a player its purely a money thing. If we can get him back at the right price Im fine bringing him back. The problem is, if you resign him Jordy and Randall and throw Aaron on top, you have a ton of money wrapped up in 4 offensive guys when this teams issue is D.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At what point did I ever disrespect James Jones? I have no issue with him as a player its purely a money thing. If we can get him back at the right price Im fine bringing him back. The problem is, if you resign him Jordy and Randall and throw Aaron on top, you have a ton of money wrapped up in 4 offensive guys when this teams issue is D.
I don't think Jones has the amount of respect that he deserves.

I feel he's a key cog, and I expect and hope McCarthy, Thompson agree and keep him, whatever that price may end up being.

D

Deleted member 6794

I feel he's a key cog, and I expect and hope McCarthy, Thompson agree and keep him, whatever that price may end up being.

That´s not a succesful way to manage the cap. I would like to bring Jones back for a reasonable deal (maximum of $4 million a year), if Jones asks and gets more on the open market I´m fine with the Packers letting him walk away.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A key cog, yet he's never had over 1,000 receiving and yes he did 14 Tds 2 years ago, but 37 TD's in 7 years is nothing spectacular. He is a nice complementary piece to this offense, but most certainly not a keep him "whatever that price may end up being" kind of a piece. There are other offensive options now where we aren't going to need 3 and 4 WR sets in order to be succesful.

He hasn't gotten the respect you feel he deserves from anybody so don't put that on Packers fans. If he got the respect you feel he deserves he wouldn't have been back 2 years ago but 31 other NFL teams felt differently.

1.Something rubs some fans the wrong way.

2.This guy is good.
3.Capable of greatness (led the NFL in TD Catches in 2012).
4.Very unselfish, which is perfect on a team that Rodgers spreads the ball around to.
And he's a great teammate, great person
, and he was THE GUY Ted Thompson drafted with that 2007 3rd round pick that was almost traded for Randy Moss.

1.Nothing rubs me the wrong way about how he approaches the game. He just isn't a cornerstone piece IMO.
2.Yes he is good never said he wasn't.
3.Capable of greatness? Why because he led the league in TD's in 2012? Take out that year and he averages just under 4 TD's per year in the other 6 years. He's been in the league for 7 years and hasn't been able to emerge as the #1 option on his own team. Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, AJ Green etc. these guys are capable of greatness at the WR position.
4.100% correct from what I've seen, you will get no argument from me on that. Doesn't mean you back the Brinks truck up to him.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can possibly see the WR corps maybe take a little less to stay here. Every situation is different, but Greg left because he "wanted to get paid" and look how much fun he had last season. Now maybe they want to go somewhere where they don't spread the ball around as much and he can be the go to guy, but if I was in their shoes, I'd look at what happened to Greg and think staying on a team and winning championships is worth a lot more than an extra money. I guess maybe I can say that because I'm not getting millioins shoved in my face, but I'd like to think if I was I'd still rather win than lose.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can possibly see the WR corps maybe take a little less to stay here. Every situation is different, but Greg left because he "wanted to get paid" and look how much fun he had last season. Now maybe they want to go somewhere where they don't spread the ball around as much and he can be the go to guy, but if I was in their shoes, I'd look at what happened to Greg and think staying on a team and winning championships is worth a lot more than an extra money. I guess maybe I can say that because I'm not getting millioins shoved in my face, but I'd like to think if I was I'd still rather win than lose.

One thing players tend to forget is that most of the money in these contracts isn't guaranteed. It sure looks fine signing a multi-year, huge deal with another team to be their go-to guy, but you have to know that you can be released if you're not producing.

Taking a look at the WR position maybe it makes more sense to stay for less average salary per year in Green Bay where you have Rodgers throwing the ball to you opposed to going somewhere else where the QB makes it tough for you to produce and you could be cut after two years as a cap casualty.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing players tend to forget is that most of the money in these contracts isn't guaranteed. It sure looks fine signing a multi-year, huge deal with another team to be their go-to guy, but you have to know that you can be released if you're not producing.

Taking a look at the WR position maybe it makes more sense to stay for less average salary per year in Green Bay where you have Rodgers throwing the ball to you opposed to going somewhere else where the QB makes it tough for you to produce and you could be cut after two years as a cap casualty.

Exactly right. Does anyone really think Mike Wallace sees the end of that deal?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Only a player with a bad agent wouldn't realize the distinction between guaranteed money, likely earned money, unlikely earned money, and no f'ing way money in a contract. It's easy to calculate the cap hit each year of a contract and I'll bet even an average agent lets his client know at which point of the deal the cap hit is negligible. And players know better than anyone their football careers could end in an instant, so I'll bet guaranteed money is upper most in their minds when weighing offers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3.Capable of greatness? Why because he led the league in TD's in 2012? Take out that year and he averages just under 4 TD's per year in the other 6 years. He's been in the league for 7 years and hasn't been able to emerge as the #1 option on his own team. Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, AJ Green etc. these guys are capable of greatness at the WR position.
4.100% correct from what I've seen, you will get no argument from me on that. Doesn't mean you back the Brinks truck up to him.
Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant are superstars. Both were first round picks (Packers could have had Dez but took Bulaga). Thomas only made $840K this year by the way.

Jordy was a 2nd rounder.
Cobb last pick of the 2nd round.
Jones was a 3rd round pick.
Jennings was also a 2nd round pick by Thompson. And he was clearly the best among these WR's.

All of their production has been good for the most part, with some great moments.
Jordy and Jones each had a great touchdown-producing season in 2011 and 2012 respectively.

Nobody in our offense is going to produce monster numbers as ours is a balanced offense. It's not like the days of Sterling Sharpe getting 200 passes a year thrown to him.

Jordy Nelson 6 year career
  • 302 catches
  • 50.3 per year
  • 4590 yards
  • 765 yards per year
  • 36 touchdowns (take away 2011 he has 21 in 5 seasons)
  • 6.0 per year
James Jones 7 year career
  • 310 catches
  • 44.3 per year
  • 4305 yards
  • 615 yards per season
  • 37 touchdowns
  • 5.3 per year

Randall Cobb 3 year career
  • 136 catches
  • 45.3 per year
  • 1762 yards
  • 587 yards per season
  • 13 touchdowns
  • 4.3 per year

Greg Jennings in his 5 seasons with Rodgers (2008-2012)
  • 327 catches
  • 65.4 per season
  • 4985 yards
  • 997 yards per season
  • 40 touchdowns
  • 8 touchdowns per year
As you can see, it's Jordy 1, Cobb 2, and Jones 3. But all are very important, and the money will be respective to that.
I expect Teddy to keep Jones, and we should keep Jones.

Last edited:

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant are superstars. Both were first round picks (Packers could have had Dez but took Bulaga). Thomas only made $840K this year by the way.

Jordy was a 2nd rounder.
Cobb last pick of the 2nd round.
Jones was a 3rd round pick.
Jennings was also a 2nd round pick by Thompson. And he was clearly the best among these WR's.

All of their production has been good for the most part, with some great moments.
Jordy and Jones each had a great touchdown-producing season in 2011 and 2012 respectively.

Nobody in our offense is going to produce monster numbers as ours is a balanced offense. It's not like the days of Sterling Sharpe getting 200 passes a year thrown to him.

Jordy Nelson 6 year career
  • 302 catches
  • 50.3 per year
  • 4590 yards
  • 765 yards per year
  • 36 touchdowns (take away 2011 he has 21 in 5 seasons)
  • 6.0 per year
James Jones 7 year career
  • 310 catches
  • 44.3 per year
  • 4305 yards
  • 615 yards per season
  • 37 touchdowns
  • 5.3 per year

Randall Cobb 3 year career
  • 136 catches
  • 45.3 per year
  • 1762 yards
  • 587 yards per season
  • 13 touchdowns
  • 4.3 per year

Greg Jennings in his 5 seasons with Rodgers (2008-2012)
  • 327 catches
  • 65.4 per season
  • 4985 yards
  • 997 yards per season
  • 40 touchdowns
  • 8 touchdowns per year
As you can see, it's Jordy 1, Cobb 2, and Jones 3. But all are very important, and the money will be respective to that.
I expect Teddy to keep Jones, and we should keep Jones.

So you would rather resign James Jones at "whatever that price may end up being" at the risk of not being able to sign 2 better options currently on the team as youve pointed out above?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't he say something about his wife wanting to stay in Green Bay? Not saying that it means anything, but from what I've been told by friends and coworkers, happy wife happy life right??

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't he say something about his wife wanting to stay in Green Bay? Not saying that it means anything, but from what I've been told by friends and coworkers, happy wife happy life right??
yep... but losing millions by staying in GB might test that theory.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you would rather resign James Jones at "whatever that price may end up being" at the risk of not being able to sign 2 better options currently on the team as youve pointed out above?
No but here's the key: whatever that price may be.
I expect it won't be sky high, and will, in fact, be fair for both sides.
Jones is more important to this team than many recognize IMO.

Members online

Latest posts