Free Agents - Pick 7 Players

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if you had to pick just 7 players from the list below to bring back and resign, who would they be and why?

Jermichael Finley TE
Ryan Pickett DE
B.J. Raji NT
James Jones WR
John Kuhn FB
Sam Shields CB
Andrew Quarless TE
Marshall Newhouse OT
Evan Dietrich-Smith C
Michael Neal DE/OLB
Rob Francois ILB
Johnny Jolly DE
James Starks RB
C.J. Wilson DE
Jamari Lattimore ILB
M.D. Jennings S
Seneca Wallace QB
Matt Flynn QB
Kahlil Bell RB

The seven names I'm keeping:
WR James Jones: Keeping four receivers being Nelson, Jones, Cobb and Boykin will be critical in maintaining a healthy and consistent flow in the pass game. Still would not be surprised to see the Packers target a 2nd/3rd round receiver if Jones is not kept.

QB Matt Flynn: This should be a no-brainer. Ted Thompson has struggled to find a viable back up quarterback in the last few years. Both Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman were experiments that did not pan out. Seneca Wallace will not be brought back. And with how well Flynn preformed under the circumstances of bouncing around from team to team and landing back in Green Bay, you can't help but give him a pat on the back for winning the Packers a few game to allow them to remain in contention for the NFC North.

CB Sam Shields: I think it's arguable that Shields should be the #1 priority come free agency. With the exception of the dilemma that the Packers have on the defensive line with Pickett, Raji and Jolly, Shields should be retained. Keeping a 26 year old Sam Shields with a young Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde will allow the Packers to uphold a young and talented secondary in a pass happy NFL. You just have to hope that Shields' asking price isn't through the roof.

ILB Jamari Lattimore: Lattimore was featured in 15 games in 2013 with 35 total tackles, 2 sacks and 1 Forced Fumble. In my mind, resigning Lattimore would save time, money and effort. There would be no need to search for another ILB in free agency or waste a draft pick on a 5th or 6th round ILB with hopes of him panning out. You already have an asset with an experienced Lattimore who should be a viable option as a solid back up and should be given a shot in Green Bay.

OLB/DE Mike Neal: If Dom Capers remains the Packers' Defensive Coordinator, I can see a strong case for Neal to be retained. Neal is a player who has quietly snuck up as someone who can flash some production. Featured in all 16 games this season, Neal was able to produce: 47 Total Tackles, 5 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 Interception. Not to mention, Neal was moved from defensive end to outside linebacker. Dom Capers was experimenting with Neal's potential at a different position. I think Capers would like to continue working on the experiment so long as he's the Packers D-Coordinator.

DE Johnny Jolly: This was tough. All three big guys on the D-Line are free agents. Pickett, Raji and Jolly. Who comes back? First things first, I think you let Raji walk. He has not been productive and if it's true that he was offered $8M/Year and he declined, he's not staying in Green Bay. Offering Raji that much is simply outrageous. Declining the offer was plain stupid. As for Pickett, resigning him might be more plausible but you would have to think he's not taking the veteran's minimum. This leads me to Jolly. A player who was given a second chance at the NFL. He's younger than Picket by 4 years and perhaps the Packers offer him a 1 or 2 year deal for veteran's minimum. I firmly believe that Mike Daniels will be one of two starting DE for the Packers in 2014. Look for the Packers to target a NT in the draft (Louis Nix III?)

C Evan Dietrich-Smith: Maintaining the chemistry between the center/quarterback is always a favorable decision in my opinion so long as the center can continue to block well. He's 27 years of age, so perhaps bringing back EDS would make some sense.

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We get to keep 7? I honestly don't think the real Packers will keep that many.

Sam Shields
Evan Dietrich-Smith
Matt Flynn
Johnny Jolly
CJ Wilson
Jermichael Finley
MD Jennings

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like both of your lists, although I need to see James Jones.
And I think both Kuhn & Pickett are guys who will choose to remain with us for a good deal.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Shields,Jolly,Quarless,Jones,Starks,Neal and Kuhn.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easier to say which 7 I wouldn't even bother about bringing back. Finley, Newhouse, Wilson,Jennings, Wallace, Francois,Bell.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Finley
Raji
Jones
Shields
New house
Dietrich-smith
MD Jennings

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RFA money, and the only Safety not named Burnett who could be remotely linked to the word "Cover." Call him the best of a bad bunch.

I hate to insert facts in my posts, but MD Jennings failed to defend a single pass the entire season.

Per Bleacher Report and Pro Football Focus: "Jennings allowed 184 passing yards and five touchdowns on just 18 targeted passes against him. His passer rating against was an astronomical 148.8, the third-worst in the NFL and just points away from a perfect rating. He also had nearly as many missed tackles (nine) as stops (11), which PFF describes as a tackle constituting an offensive failure.

Almost unbelievably, Jennings played over 850 snaps but failed to produce a defensed pass. He was the only safety in the NFL to fail to break up or intercept a pass when playing that often"

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hate to insert facts in my posts, but MD Jennings failed to defend a single pass the entire season.

Per Bleacher Report and Pro Football Focus: "Jennings allowed 184 passing yards and five touchdowns on just 18 targeted passes against him. His passer rating against was an astronomical 148.8, the third-worst in the NFL and just points away from a perfect rating. He also had nearly as many missed tackles (nine) as stops (11), which PFF describes as a tackle constituting an offensive failure.

Almost unbelievably, Jennings played over 850 snaps but failed to produce a defensed pass. He was the only safety in the NFL to fail to break up or intercept a pass when playing that often"
Ya, but other than that... :D

MD Jennings stands in front of the line of starters who need to be replaced IMO. He also represents the single greatest opportunity to improve the team by replacing him with a competent safety.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya, but other than that... :D

MD Jennings stands in front of the line of starters who need to be replaced IMO. He also represents the single greatest opportunity to improve the team by replacing him with a competent safety.

I'm with you 100% on that. An upgrade of any kind will dramatically help the defense.

OP
OP
Packers80

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just not seeing how people can say that Jermichael Finley should be brought back. I think at this point, it's already a foregone conclusion. Ted Thompson does not gamble on players with neck injuries and Finley is already headed into free agency. His future is uncertain. Ted is going to look elsewhere.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Shields, James Jones, Evan Dietrich-Smith are a must IMO
I would like Jolly and Flynn back to, the rest I dont really care, maybe Finley if he is healthy and dont ask for too much. I like Starks but with Lacy, DuJuan and Franklin theres no need for another HB

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

And was still the best of a bad bunch.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Shields, James Jones, Evan Dietrich-Smith are a must IMO.
I agree, although I am preparing myself for the letdown of losing Sammy.

I want James Jones back badly.
Receivers take time to develop chemistry with the QB.
RBs are easier to plug & play.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't understand why anyone would include Raji on their list.

He wants to get paid and he's not worth it. I'm not sure we would offer him $4 or $5M a year right now, let alone the $8M he already turned down.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol who in their right mind would want md jennings back? He in my mind is the worse defensive back on the team. At. Least jarett Bush can tackle. Jennings isnt good enough to be bought back at all. Use his money to pay the ppl who shovel Lambeau in the winter more money.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't understand why anyone would include Raji on their list.

He wants to get paid and he's not worth it. I'm not sure we would offer him $4 or $5M a year right now, let alone the $8M he already turned down.
I think the thought is there will be a position change there and he'll get back to his old form.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think the thought is there will be a position change there and he'll get back to his old form.
Not likely. This year we threw him some single gap looks at RDE in base, and all he did was squat. He gave a few quality run snaps this season that Brad Jones usually screwed up. He's dead wrong if he still considers himself a pass rusher. Someone is feeding him a line of bull.

Latest posts