Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Dill

Dillard gave up 12 or 13 sacks last season in only 10 games depending on who you read. I really don't want him protecting Love if he doesn't make a miraculous improvement. He's 28 entering his 6th season. I'd be surprised if he makes the team.
I doubt the Packers gave Dillard much in the way of guarantees. If they didn't, this is purely signing a guy that once had a promising future, that got derailed by 2 injuries (torn biceps & broken forearm). If he turns his career around and plays well, a big win for the Pack. If not, probably little lost.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say it again, a good signing for the Packers. If the guy doesn't step up his game, he's out and it didn't cost the Packers a whole lot. Meanwhile, the Titans have a $7.792M dead cap hit on the guy.
Personally, I think it is a waste. Don't know what the hell he's thinking.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't see any. It's a low-risk deal.

The Packers needed a back-up swing tackle, and Dillard was available. If it works out, fine. If it doesn't, no big deal.

It's as simple as that.
Agree. I don't really worry about him currently taking a spot on the 90. If somehow the Packers find a 91st guy that would be a better fit, than Dillard or someone else is cut.

Dillard's starting experience alone is enough for me to say he is worth kicking all 4 tires and his spare, as is his potential. Total Win-Win when you can sign a guy like this in April, at Vet Min. with no guarantees.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I don't really worry about him currently taking a spot on the 90. If somehow the Packers find a 91st guy that would be a better fit, than Dillard or someone else is cut.

Dillard's starting experience alone is enough for me to say he is worth kicking all 4 tires and his spare, as is his potential. Total Win-Win when you can sign a guy like this in April, at Vet Min. with no guarantees.
Agree, if his experience trumps some rookie OT's physical talents & he sticks it's a win. If he continues his '23-turnstyle-ways then give all of his reps to a young guy. No downside until the real games start in September.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree, if his experience trumps some rookie OT's physical talents & he sticks it's a win. If he continues his '23-turnstyle-ways then give all of his reps to a young guy. No downside until the real games start in September.
Spot on.

I guess I never really bought into the argument of "he is taking reps away from someone." First, with all the camps, practices and preseason games, guys will get plenty of reps, if the coaches deem it. If someone earns more reps, so be it. They don't start games in Sept. saying "Hey, we never gave this guy reps, should we see what he can do against the Eagles?"

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The downside is what if he actually plays?
You probably should be more specific than that, you stated:

Personally, I think it is a waste. Don't know what the hell he's thinking.
Why is it a waste? If he actually plays, doesn't that mean he must have been viewed as the best option at the time?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not even close to how I see it.

If Dillard is playing...

#1 - Our OL room suffers not one, not two but likely minimum three injuries to the room.
#2 - Dillard meets his physical make up and it comes together providing a sufficient Tackle or RG starter.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even close to how I see it.

If Dillard is playing...

#1 - Our OL room suffers not one, not two but likely minimum three injuries to the room.
#2 - Dillard meets his physical make up and it comes together providing a sufficient Tackle or RG starter.
Right. If he still proves to be a turnstile he won't make the team, if he is playing it means he made the team and is better than some other option. They are not going to keep a guy that sucks much less play him. I see no downside to this signing.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, it's a scary thought to think of him protecting Love knowing that he was a turnstile last season. I think he got signed just to give him one last shot to show he doesn't suck. We'll see but he was atrocious last season. Don't happen to think that was some abberation.