Former Green Bay Packer Max McGee dies

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one of the main reasons that I put the tv on mute and turned on the radio was because of max mcgee.
I think alot did that....he and Irwin were GREAT together. I'm SO saddened by his passing.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First thought: Oh man, that's terrible. Max was the best on the radio.

Second thought: What was a 75 yo man doing on the roof?

My Great-Grandpa used to go on the roof until he was 84.

Back to Max, he was awesome in either SB I or II. Forgot which one. The funny thing is he wasn't even expecting to play and I think he only played because of an injury.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard this on the news last night, and i felt like i was punched in the gut. I felt the same when Ray Nitschke died. These are the heroes when i was a child, and every time one of them passes, i feel like part of me goes with them, part of my own past. I got to see Max at Fan Fest in 2006, and got a few nice pictures of him.
Another Packer great, gone.
RIP Max :cry:

Cheesy - Sometimes I envy people your age. The only Lombardi teams I've ever seen were in highlight videos. When I was a kid, the only thing we had to look forward to were James Lofton's stats.

I would have loved to see McGee, Nitschke, Starr, Horning, Taylor, and everyone else from those days. I was happy just to see the Packers with an 8-8 record.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to Max, he was awesome in either SB I or II. Forgot which one. The funny thing is he wasn't even expecting to play and I think he only played because of an injury.

SB1

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad news indeed. I may of bever watched him but having a huge interesting Packer history I grew to love a man I never knew. I loved reading about all him and Hornung's stories.LOL
I also believe he was part of a group who started the Chi Chi's restaurant chain. Him and Paul were always investing in some kind of business.
My favorite story was when him and Paul got tired of being watched so close by Lombardi's staff that one time before one of the staff came around to do the routine night check they had taken all their clothes of and pushed their beds together and climbed in bed together. When the staff member looked in the door he turned white as a ghost and Max said they didn't check on them for the rest of the week.
Max you're a classic RIP

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I heard this on the news last night, and i felt like i was punched in the gut. I felt the same when Ray Nitschke died. These are the heroes when i was a child, and every time one of them passes, i feel like part of me goes with them, part of my own past. I got to see Max at Fan Fest in 2006, and got a few nice pictures of him.
Another Packer great, gone.
RIP Max :cry:

Cheesy - Sometimes I envy people your age. The only Lombardi teams I've ever seen were in highlight videos. When I was a kid, the only thing we had to look forward to were James Lofton's stats.

I would have loved to see McGee, Nitschke, Starr, Horning, Taylor, and everyone else from those days. I was happy just to see the Packers with an 8-8 record.
Thank you.....i consider myself fortunate to remember the first 2 super bowls. I was 8 in 1965, and that was when i became a Packer fan. I got to meet alot of the old Packers over the years. Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke (he let me put on his SB ONE ring) Fuzzy Thurston, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer..........it was a special time in the 1960's for Packer fans. It's sad watching them go.......

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
75...healthy enough to be on the roof blowing leaves. fall off, dead. Not a bad way to go.

ChezInMN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll never forget walking through the hallways of my college dorm in Menomonie, WI when the Packers were playing...nearly every TV was tuned to the game with the volume off, while Jim's and Max's voices echoed throughout the hallways. Nor will I ever forget listening to Jim and Max during the Packer's SuperBowl victory in '97...listening to those two call that game was something else.

Rest in peace Max. Thanks for the many memories!

Members online

Latest posts