Forget about how Brett is Playing right now....

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget about how Brett is playing right now for just one thread.

I would like ask you all a serious question.

This has nothing to do about his play on the field IN THE NFL.... OK.

Can we just forget about that, and I am including his gretest games and his worst games.

I am asking you all to leave his NFL History out of the answer.

The question is ..... What do you most admire about the man. What do you most admire about Brett as a human, father, husband, son, and just what you admire most about him outside of football.

Here a re a few things to think about.

My Choice is highlighted... I admire a person who would do such a thing.

Grew up in Kiln, Miss. (pronounced KILL)

Married long-time girlfriend Deanna Tynes on July 14, 1996, after a 12-year courtship, the couple has two daughters, Brittany, 17, and Breleigh, 7

Earned five letters in baseball (he led team in batting all five seasons) and three in football at Hancock North Central High School in Kiln, where his late father, Irvin, was his coach

Played quarterback and strong safety, also serving as punter and placekicker

Played in Mississippi high school all star game following senior season
Had his high school jersey (No. 10) retired in April of 1993; school further honored him May 8, 2004, by re-naming its field, ‘Brett Favre Field,’ and dedicating a new life-sized statue of Favre displayed at the entrance to the stadium

Also had the No. 4 jersey he had worn at Southern Mississippi retired in September of 1993

Was inducted into the Southern Miss Sports Hall of Fame in April of 1997 and was named to the Southern Mississippi Football Team of the Century in 2001

Father pitched for Southern Mississippi baseball varsity
Older brother, Scott, played quarterback for Mississippi State and younger brother, Jeff, was a free safety on Southern Mississippi football team

Sister, Brandi, is a former 'Miss Teen Mississippi'

Grew up idolizing a pair of Southern quarterbacks, the Saints' Archie Manning and the Cowboys' Staubach

Established the 'Brett Favre Fourward Foundation’ in 1996, its mission to provide aid to disadvantaged or disabled children residing in Mississippi and Wisconsin; in conjunction with his annual golf tournament, celebrity softball game and fundraising dinners, foundation has donated in excess of $2.2 million to charities in the two states

In 2005 the charity took on a new cause, raising money in support of Hurricane Katrina relief; more than $950,000 has been raised as of April 18, 2006, to be used in the state’s three gulf coast counties: Hancock, Harrison and Jackson

Also in 2005, his wife founded a charity, the Deanna Favre Hope Foundation to benefit uninsured and underinsured breast cancer patients; Deanna underwent successful treatment in 2004 for the disease
“A Night of Faith,” a dinner and concert featuring Grammy-winning artist Faith Hill was held March 12, 2005, in Biloxi, Miss.; the evening raised more than $400,000 for her foundation, with proceeds used to endow assistance programs at Memorial Hospital in Gulfport, Miss., and Forrest General Hospital in Hattiesburg, Miss.

Among the other groups the Favre Fourward foundation supports in Mississippi are Special Olympics, Make-A-Wish, Candlelighters for Childhood Cancer, MHG Development Foundation (which promotes community wellness through Memorial Hospital), Hope Haven (a home for battered women and children) and Gaits to Success (therapeutic horsemanship for the mentally disabled) – the latter two are located in the county (Hancock) where he grew up

Among organizations in Wisconsin, he has given to the Rawhide Boys Ranch, Make-A-Wish, Special Olympics, CASA of Brown County, Cerebral Palsy of Wisconsin, Easter Seals of Wisconsin, Green Bay Press-Gazette Education Program, 'Give a Kid a Book' program, the Back to School Store and Syble Hopp School in De Pere

Held the seventh annual ‘Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game’ June 11, 2006, at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute, Wis., the event, attended by over 8,000 fans, generated roughly $130,000 for his foundation – all of which stays in Wisconsin; in six years the event has raised more than $700,000

His annual Mississippi celebrity golf tournament was moved to Tunica, Miss., this year due to Hurricane Katrina storm damage near the state’s gulf coast; the event, now held 11 times, features a concert by country music superstar Tim McGraw

Annual fundraising dinner in Green Bay has featured Hall of Famers Starr and Paul Hornung; in seven years the event has raised more than $490,000

In 2003 and ’04, hosted a similar dinner at his Hattiesburg home, raising $140,000

Also has raised more than $1.3 million for the Boys & Girls Club of Green Bay over the past 11 seasons by donating $200 for each touchdown pass and rushing TD he has, a monetary total augmented by matching corporate contributions

Ran a similar program, benefiting a scholarship fund at Southern Miss, during the 1997 and ’98 seasons, which raised roughly $250,000
Taped a public service announcement in the 2000 offseason for local and state Red Cross Awareness, himself more aware of disaster-type situations after experiencing a harrowing, early-March tornado that year at his Hattiesburg, Miss., residence, the storm heavily damaging his property and leaving him fearing for his life

Received the ‘Community Service Award’ from the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce in August of 1997 in recognition of his work with the area Boys & Girls Club, in addition to Special Olympics and Cystic Fibrosis

Has worked at Thanksgiving with the Salvation Army in Green Bay and Gulfport, Miss., to donate food baskets to needy families

Was named as one of 100 “Good Guys” in sports by The Sporting News in July of 2000 in recognition of his civic responsibility and character

Gave time during the 1993-95 seasons as the Packers' player representative to the state Punt, Pass & Kick competition

Had his fourth grade teacher, Billy Ray Dedeaux of Hancock North Central Elementary School in his native Kiln, Miss., named as the NFL's 'Teacher of the Month' for September, 1994

Formerly was a co-owner, along with Dale Jarrett, of a NASCAR Busch racing team, sponsored by Rayovac

Currently has a joint venture with Jarrett, ‘Jarrett Driving Adventure,’ which is traded publicly on NASDAQ, the business allows individuals the opportunity to ride with a professional driver
I
s a partner in ‘Brett Favre's Steakhouse' in Green Bay, and its sister operation, 'Brett Favre's Two Minute Grill,' located in the Lambeau Field Atrium

Sold over 100,000 copies of his authorized autobiography, entitled Favre For The Record which was published by Doubleday late in the summer of 1997, an updated version of the book, which included a chapter on the ‘97 season and Super Bowl XXXII, came out in paperback in September of 1998

With his family, in 1999 published Favre Family Cookbook: Three Generations of Cajun and Creole Cooking from the Gulf Coast, combining the best of Mississippi-style seafood with the award-winning recipes of the Brett Favre Steakhouse, recipes from the entire family along with family anecdotes and photos
I
n 2004, authored, with his mother, Bonita, FAVRE, an updated biography co-published by the National Football League and Rugged Land; the book has sold nearly 270,000 copies and spent three months on the New York Times Hardcover Nonfiction Best-Seller List, peaking at No. 5

Has an official Web site, www.officialbrettfavre.com

Has been one of the country's most marketable athletes since leading Green Bay to a Super Bowl victory in January 1997

In 2005 appeared in commercials for Sensodyne Toothpaste, Starter (owned by Nike), Ford Motor Company and Snapper lawn care equipment
Also continues his endorsement of Nike

In 2003 appeared in a popular national ad for MasterCard, with his wife, Deanna, as part of the company’s “
Priceless” campaign

Also has had endorsement/spokesman deals with Acclaim video games, Bergstrom Automotive (Wisconsin car dealerships), Cellular One, Choice Hotels, Dairy Management Inc., DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket, Edge Shave Gel, FunJet Vacations, Hershey's Chocolate, Kohl's department stores, Koss headphones, 'Milk Mustache,' Mitsubishi, Motorola wireless communications, Nike Golf, Pennzoil, Pepsi, Rawlings, Real Pure Beverage Group, Repel Insect Block, Right Guard, Sprint, Sunny Delight, Toro, Visa, Wisconsin Department of Tourism, Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board and Yamaha

Also is involved with NFL QB Greats
In conjunction with Hallmark, marketed the Brett Favre Christmas tree ornament in 1999

Had over 2 million of his candy bars, the 'Brett Favre MVP Bar,' sold through fund-raising groups in its first year (1997-98), the most ever sold by the Morley Candy Company

Made an appearance near the end of the hit 1998 movie There’s Something About Mary as the boyfriend of co-star Cameron Diaz’s character

Previously had made a cameo as a janitor in Reggie’s Prayer, the 1997 movie project of Reggie White

Served as a pallbearer at White’s funeral, Dec. 30, 2004
Has been a guest on The Tonight Show, The Late Show and The Late, Late Show; played himself in one episode of HBO series Arli$$

Is an avid golfer, carries a handicap in the "one to two" range – down from the 15 he carried as recently as 1998; participated in the pro-am at the 2006 Ford Championship at Doral as part of a promotion with Phil Mickelson and Toby Keith

In 2005 participated in the U.S. Bank Championship pro-am and charity shootout at Milwaukee’s Brown Deer Park golf course, the site of the annual PGA tour stop

Also enjoys hunting, TV nature programs, crossword puzzles, fishing and tending to his home and land on the 460 acres he owns in Hattiesburg, Miss.

Resides in Hattiesburg

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You pretty much covered everything in that post nothing more to say about Favre "The Man".

Here is my simple version: I admire Brett Favre because:

Hes a simple, down to earth man

He cares about people and things other then money and what he can buy for himself...

Hes a very tough, athletic, competitve and compasionate man.

Hes a family man with strong family beliefs.

He doesnt have all the bling that most players have, like high end vehicles, expensive jewlery around his neck, expensive clothing. When you see him, he a normal, simple guy wearing T-Shirts and hats.

He has played through tons of injuries and keeps coming back stronger then ever.

He is a good role model for people and players.

Farve and his family constantly give back through their foundations they have built.

Most of all this man is like you and I and he will tell you so...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
he has the ultimate high end vehicle..he has a private jet and own pilot, as does Deanna..

LOL

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre is someone that any father or coach would be proud of. All aspects of his life on and off the field are more than anyone can dream of.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it took a lot of ballz to check himself into the NFL substance abuse policy back in the mid 90's. He had a problem and he new that. He owned up to it. In my opinion that takes a lot of courage, loyalty, and respect.

Forget football players there are a lot of people out there with addictions who don't even try to get better. Favre did while he was in the spotlight.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, so some of the things you "admire most" about Brett include:

Has an official Web site, www.officialbrettfavre.com

Has been one of the country's most marketable athletes since leading Green Bay to a Super Bowl victory in January 1997

In 2005 appeared in commercials for Sensodyne Toothpaste, Starter (owned by Nike), Ford Motor Company and Snapper lawn care equipment
Also continues his endorsement of Nike

In 2003 appeared in a popular national ad for MasterCard, with his wife, Deanna, as part of the company’s “
Priceless” campaign

Also has had endorsement/spokesman deals with Acclaim video games, Bergstrom Automotive (Wisconsin car dealerships), Cellular One, Choice Hotels, Dairy Management Inc., DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket, Edge Shave Gel, FunJet Vacations, Hershey's Chocolate, Kohl's department stores, Koss headphones, 'Milk Mustache,' Mitsubishi, Motorola wireless communications, Nike Golf, Pennzoil, Pepsi, Rawlings, Real Pure Beverage Group, Repel Insect Block, Right Guard, Sprint, Sunny Delight, Toro, Visa, Wisconsin Department of Tourism, Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board and Yamaha

Also is involved with NFL QB Greats
In conjunction with Hallmark, marketed the Brett Favre Christmas tree ornament in 1999

I think Brett Favre is great and is probably my all-time favorite sports figure, which is quite amazing to say. But this reads like some sort of marketing piece or something. So he's made commercials for toothpaste? Good for him! LOL...

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"They pay you to prepare and practice, if you can't show up and play for free on sunday you're in the game for the wrong reason"
Not an exact quote, but that says it all for me about Brett.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I thought it took a lot of ballz to check himself into the NFL substance abuse policy back in the mid 90's. He had a problem and he new that. He owned up to it. In my opinion that takes a lot of courage, loyalty, and respect.

100% agree.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About 18 months ago I took a little boy from texas up to Green Bay to meet Brett (the boy was suffering from brain cancer). It was the day before their playoff game with the Vikings (we lost). we were supposed to meet him in the team commissary for a little bit while we had lunch. This was during the time that Deanna was going through a tough time of Chemotherapy for her breast cancer. There was a window about about 4-5 hours that the team had free to do as they wished before having to report to the hotel for the night (they spend the night before any game sequestered in a hotel). Brett could have, and maybe should have, gone home to spend time with Deanna. But instead, he spent over an hour with us, eating lunch, laughing, joking etc. with little Christopher. 10 months later, when little Christopher passed (he was only 9) there was a nice flower arrangement from the packers organization. However, there was also an extrememly nice arrangement (about 4 ft high - 5 ft wide) who's card simply read: Our condolances and best wishes...Brett and Deanna Favre.

Brett gets it. He really gets it. God has given him an incredible talent. It is not as much as football being the end all for Brett. It is simply a vehicle for him to affect others for the better. He does way more for others than we can possibly know. He usually asks to keep it quiet though.

I was impressed on how little being a superstar has affected Brett. He doesn't think he is better than anyone. He was extremely humble and made fun of himself many times during lunch. While talking with Christopher, he noticed that Christopher's shoe was untied. Without missing a word, he leaned over and tied Christophers shoe for him.

I appreciated Brett becasue he is worthy of being a role model.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like how he toys with the team with his "retirement" each year, stringing them along at his whim.
I also like how he's a "private" guy but has his own press conferences each week. :thumbsup:

j/k.

He truly encompasses "old school" NFL. In a bright and flashy game, Brett really is a blue collar guy. I always liked that about him.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like how he toys with the team with his "retirement" each year, stringing them along at his whim.
I also like how he's a "private" guy but has his own press conferences each week. :thumbsup:

j/k.

He truly encompasses "old school" NFL. In a bright and flashy game, Brett really is a blue collar guy. I always liked that about him.

He actually didn't want any press conferences at all. The media wanted them each week. The team got Brett to compromise by having them every other week.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

j/k.

Since you call yourself "BearPerspective", unless you have a perspective as relevant and eloquent as Tripp's or RaiderPride's perhaps you might like to share your 'perspective' with Bears fans and not here.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:

j/k.

Since you call yourself "BearPerspective", unless you have a perspective as relevant and eloquent as Tripp's or RaiderPride's perhaps you might like to share your 'perspective' with Bears fans and not here.

j/k means he was just kidding

bearperspire is actually a pretty decent guy.....especially for a Bear fan

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the spirit of RP's post.

But long ago I stopped hero worship. What is the most commendable thing about Favre is he extended his hand to include others. Be careful to not judge a person strictly on the media information or images presented to you. Often those are controlled by people who profit from them.

Where I see a genuine person in Favre are the people who know him in Mississippi and continue to be his friends. That says volumes to me.

Many celebrities think their fame stops with them. That, or they do things in a charitable way that will bring them more fame and don't really care about the intended.

Members online

Latest posts