Football Outsiders like us... And Tramon Williams even more

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Week 13 DVOA Ratings

I disagree with them, BTW. There are at least 5 or so teams that are better than us, right now.

But I think their point, which is also my point, which actually may be only my point, that I'm forcing on them, is that there's no such thing as a clear favorite. NO, IND, MIN, are slightly better than us, but that talk that if we played in Minnesota we would be crushed, that there's no way that New Orleans will lose in the Superdome, is BS.

We have a better defense than them, and our offense is as good as theirs. If we manage to correct our ST play, which IMHO is the easiest aspect of a team to correct, we'll be toe to toe with anyone we face anywhere.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Week 13 DVOA Ratings

I disagree with them, BTW. There are at least 5 or so teams that are better than us, right now.

But I think their point, which is also my point, which actually may be only my point, that I'm forcing on them, is that there's no such thing as a clear favorite. NO, IND, MIN, are slightly better than us, but that talk that if we played in Minnesota we would be crushed, that there's no way that New Orleans will lose in the Superdome, is BS.

We have a better defense than them, and our offense is as good as theirs. If we manage to correct our ST play, which IMHO is the easiest aspect of a team to correct, we'll be toe to toe with anyone we face anywhere.

I'd say that Minnesota has proven to be a LOT better than Green Bay. New Orleans spanked the crap outta Green Bay last season and they kinda sucked. Indy is a different animal. I wouldn't doubt if they lose their first playoff game. Talk about playoff chokers, Manning is the biggest.

Troides

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say that Minnesota has proven to be a LOT better than Green Bay. New Orleans spanked the crap outta Green Bay last season and they kinda sucked. Indy is a different animal. I wouldn't doubt if they lose their first playoff game. Talk about playoff chokers, Manning is the biggest.

I would not say a lot better considering we lost the first game by a touchdown, the second was by a little more than two. But anyway, yeah I agree that based off the two games we played they are better, but as the season rolls on things change. I also don't think it's relevant to bring in the game last year when both teams were terrible and it's also LAST season. Different year, different teams. I think Indy will go out the first game as well, it's not certain obviously. It really depends on who they play.

Troides

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the Saints are the more complete team. They have pretty much everything going for them. Manning has more experience, but if Brees makes a mistake (very rare) his team can recover more easily, especially since there offense puts up so many points.

Troides

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season? Well I don't know what constitutes as a "big game." Both the Saints and Colts schedules are relatively easy with only a couple hard teams, so none of the games are really "big games", except the one coming up this Sunday against the Bengals.
If you mean having playoff experience, then yeah your right. Peyton definitely has more experience there.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season? Well I don't know what constitutes as a "big game." Both the Saints and Colts schedules are relatively easy with only a couple hard teams, so none of the games are really "big games", except the one coming up this Sunday against the Bengals.
If you mean having playoff experience, then yeah your right. Peyton definitely has more experience there.

Yeah sorry meant to say in the Playoffs Brees doesnt have that much experience

SORRY PEOPLE!

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at Brees' teams in the past, and you'll see why he doesn't have a lot of playoff sucess. Also, he has improved vastly the last 3 years. Before, he was considered a good qb, nothing else...

I think the Saints D is suspect, even though they're very good at turnovers. Their running game is on a roll, but teams just don't play near the LOS.

Playoffs is another kind of competition, the pressure, the resilience of the teams is much bigger. Everything that has happened this far is erased, all that matters is that one game.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not say a lot better considering we lost the first game by a touchdown, the second was by a little more than two. But anyway, yeah I agree that based off the two games we played they are better, but as the season rolls on things change.
<br> <br>

The final outcome was respectable in the two MN games but if we're being honest then GB never really came close to competitive until late in each game.

GB was down 30-14 with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter at the Metrodome in Oct.

GB was again far out-matched in the second match-up at Lambeau until their 4th quarter rally brought them closer.
<br><br>
I also don't think it's relevant to bring in the game last year when both teams were terrible and it's also LAST season. Different year, different teams. I think Indy will go out the first game as well, it's not certain obviously. It really depends on who they play.

I think it's more than relevant to compare GB to the Saints using last year as a guide. Not much has changed in NOR except the whole unbeaten thing & all that's changed in GB since then is an entirely new defense with no Aaron Kampman or Al Harris. If you think the 3-4 scares the Saints then you must have missed the MNF game against the Patriots a week ago.

I admit Matthews is playing way beyond his years & Brad Jones looks like a keeper. However Woodson can't cover everyone & Tramon Williams is developing a reputation similar to what killed Ahmad Carroll in GB. That pathetic outing on national TV served notice to every league officiating crew that Williams is the one to watch. He will never get the benefit of the doubt, not with all those P.I. penalties viewed in stunning high-definition for everyone to see.

After watching those penalties again I've backed off my original assertion that Williams was being unfairly picked on. He blatantly used the same technique every time in his coverage. That elbow lock of the WRs' inside arm was obvious from all angles. If that's what coaches have been teaching him, or worse allowing him to get away with, then there's more blame to go around.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers have a better defense than the saints? I think I would rather take the saints on this one because whenever the saints only send 3 lineman on a blitz they actually manage to get pressure. Whenever we send 3, it's a 3rd down conversion.

Troides

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense to me that you could say that it is relevant to compare the Packers now, to the Packers team last year that a had completely different defense and no longer has two of it's key players...I'd say that's pretty different.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said Woodson can't cover everyone meaning he can't be everywhere to make a play even though sometimes it seems like he is. Teams will be gunning for Tramon Williams specifically and that will be scary.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said Woodson can't cover everyone meaning he can't be everywhere to make a play even though sometimes it seems like he is. Teams will be gunning for Tramon Williams specifically and that will be scary.
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

MY BAD!!! ********* need to learn how to read...

That being the case, I totally agree with him... But Tramon is no Ahmad Carrol... He may be know as the Admiral Armbar but he's a ballhawk. He's not holding guys because of plain bad position, like Carroll. He just needs to adjust his position and try to bat the ball down instead of going for the pick every play.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Also, we got an amazing safety in Nick Collins, who's also a ballhawk...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
It's do or go home time for Tramon. I think the stress of Monday Night Football and his first start got to him a bit. The bright side is the dude did have a pick, and can only get better I hope. Also the pack can have a safety come over to help him occasionally. I think woodson can handle being man to man on the other side. I don't understand why teams seem to try and pick on woodson a few times a game. It seems like the success rate is 1 in 10. just seems like a wasted play usually for the opposing offense. Or worse a turnover.

Lets try to support Tramon cause he's all we got at that position now. He definitely has the speed to keep up with recievers. Just needs to learn to keep his hands to himself. I also think most refs aren't gonna call a game that tight usually. One of those penalties he had was ticky tack.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Tramon's armbar has to do with the fact that he's been a nickel for the most part of his career. He hasn't truly learned how to be an outside corner yet.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense to me that you could say that it is relevant to compare the Packers now, to the Packers team last year that a had completely different defense and no longer has two of it's key players...I'd say that's pretty different.

It's hard to imagine the Saints could play any better on offense than they did against GB in '08. It's also hard to imagine the GB defense playing any worse than that MNF game.

I'm not arguing that circumstances for each team are not different but that the changes, mostly for GB, are not necessarily going to make a difference.

GB's D has ascended to #1 in the league by playing 3 of 4 games at home against struggling offenses. I'm still a rah rah person that believes in my team but I also believe in sensibility & that part of me doesn't believe that facing a juggernaut like the Saints offense in a playoff atmosphere in their dome would have a different outcome for GB than in '08.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Really?

Who won? and who had 3 ints?

Opps ONLY 2 int, cuz one of them the defender just dropped it

Members online

Latest posts