FIRST ROUND PICK - DE or OLB

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this year we should trade up (not too high) to get a bona fide pass rusher.. Ted has done it before....

We should franchise Flynn, trade him to Miami and get this in return:

Swap 1rst round picks, we would get pick 9, Miami would get pick 28
And get an additional 3rd or 4th rounder.

I think this is our best trade up opportunity

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
We should franchise Flynn, trade him to Miami and get this in return:

Swap 1rst round picks, we would get pick 9, Miami would get pick 28
And get an additional 3rd or 4th rounder.

I think this is our best trade up opportunity
If we franchise Flynn I could see this happening.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thompson did trade up for Matthews but he did so only after exercising the ninth pick overall for Raji. And he had an extra third rounder he included in the trade up from the Jets he received for some old QB whose name escapes me. Of course I'm not saying he won't trade up this draft, I'm just saying he had some extra ammo in the 2009 draft.

If the two players at the top of Thompson's draft board are an OLB and a DE, I'd prefer the OLB because I believe that is a more important position in Capers' defense. But a good/great pass rusher from either spot would be great. Chicocheese, the Packers played a 2-4-5 most of the downs the last two seasons so sending the two OLBs is like a 4-3 rushing just the DL.

A third for Jenkins? That'd be fantastic but I wouldn't expect one that high. I like that idea, bubblercheez37. I'd settle for just Miami's second rounder, because they'd probably get a third round comp pick in the 2013 if they can't trade him. But I like your idea much better.

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I talked abou this in another thread but we should do this:

Franchise Flynn and trade him to Miami:

We flip-flop first round picks, Packers get the 9th pick and the Fins get our 28th.
We also get another 3rd or 4th round pick

With the 9th overall pick, the Green Bay Packers select: DEVON STILL, DT, PENN STATE.

Still is a freak and will be awesome along with Raji

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BPA! It is going to be funny when the BPA at #28 is a WR and TT selects him. If it comes down to a DE and an OLB who are equally rated, I could go either way. The DE makes the OLB job easier. The game is won in the trenches. But an OLB who can pressure would help Matthews a bit more. An OLB who isn't a libility in coverage and rush the passer would be my preference.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That OLB position is so important in this defense...I think one of the reasons for the odd alignments Capers has been using is he's trying to make something work with what he has. This year he had two good NT's, and a few chumps at DE. He had one good OLB, and a bunch of camp fodder type players. If Capers was to actually have another good player at OLB it would allow him, I think, to employ a more traditional 3-4 pass rush.

The "tag and trade" thing is still unlikely to happen, even if they do sign Finley. TT would never just tag him and hope to work out a deal later...it would have to involve Flynn agreeing to play ball ahead of time. As much as I would love for this to happen...I just can't get around the question of why would Matt Flynn want to work with the PAckers, when he could just go into free agency where he would get the most money and he could go where he wants?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
...I just can't get around the question of why would Matt Flynn want to work with the PAckers, when he could just go into free agency where he would get the most money and he could go where he wants?
This is a good question. Why do you suppose Corey Williams and other players have? (Honest question, not attempting to make a point.)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good question. Why do you suppose Corey Williams and other players have? (Honest question, not attempting to make a point.)
I would hope Flynn has some gratitude. But I don't hink it matters what he wants. I don't think we even need to place the tag. Just threaten to tag then trade his rights. Or, tag him but not have Flynn sign. Even if he does sign it would contain no signing bonus and you get paid on the first regular season game. Of course Flynn would be long gone by then.

I will be shocked if we don't get decent trade compensation.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But I don't think it matters what he wants. I don't think we even need to place the tag. Just threaten to tag then trade his rights. Or, tag him but not have Flynn sign. Even if he does sign it would contain no signing bonus and you get paid on the first regular season game. Of course Flynn would be long gone by then.

I will be shocked if we don't get decent trade compensation.
AmishMafia, the Packers have to tag him to trade him - they can't trade his rights because his contract expired at the end of the 2011-2012 season. While the franchise tag contains no signing bonus, the full amount is guaranteed for the year. If they tag him and he signs the offer, they could waive him the next day and they'd still owe him the entire "tag" amount. I'm hoping they can tag and trade him but I won't be shocked if they don't.

BTW, if he agrees to the tag and trade, Flynn would sign the tag and that would be the contract traded. He and the new team would have an agreement in place to mutually agree to tear up that contract and sign a longer term deal with a signing bonus.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AmishMafia, the Packers have to tag him to trade him - they can't trade his rights because his contract expired at the end of the 2011-2012 season. While the franchise tag contains no signing bonus, the full amount is guaranteed for the year. If they tag him and he signs the offer, they could waive him the next day and they'd still owe him the entire "tag" amount. I'm hoping they can tag and trade him but I won't be shocked if they don't.

BTW, if he agrees to the tag and trade, Flynn would sign the tag and that would be the contract traded. He and the new team would have an agreement in place to mutually agree to tear up that contract and sign a longer term deal with a signing bonus.
Thanks. I don't see it as very likely that we can't trade Flynn. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about it and tag him.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't see it as very likely that we can't trade Flynn. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about it and tag him.
The big problem Amish is that if we tag him he gets 14 mil a year. I don't think it would be easy to trade him with that kind of salary hanging on his boots.
I would be surprised if it works out that way but yea, it would be nice.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The big problem Amish is that if we tag him he gets 14 mil a year. I don't think it would be easy to trade him with that kind of salary hanging on his boots.
I would be surprised if it works out that way but yea, it would be nice.

If we tagged and traded Flynn, there would have to be a long-term deal worked out between Flynn and the other team.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The difference is Corey Williams was a starter, and impact player. When the Packers tagged him, they were doing so for the usual reasons...to keep him around another year. In Flynn's case, obviously if the Packers tagged him it wouldn't be because they want him around another year at backup QB for $14mil...it would be solely to work out a trade.

Then you get into the risky business of having to work something out after he's tagged, and there is no way TT takes a risk like that. Only way Ted does it if it Flynn is cool with it ahead of time and works with the Packers. Thing is he has no motivation to do so, aside from him just being a great guy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I disagree about Corey Williams. He was traded about 10 days after the tag was applied and IMO Thompson did not see him as a core player.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I hear and read about Mark Barron, S Alabama, the more I like this guy. They're saying he's head and shoulders above any other safety in the draft, that he has the size and quickness to cover the big WRs, hits hard and tackles well, and has excellent instincts.

I hope the Packers give him a real hard look because he's looking more and more like a mid-to-late first rounder. There are plenty of OLBs and DEs out there in this draft. If we could somehow get another 1st rounder or a high 2nd rounder, getting Barron with our 1st pick and a DE or OLB with our #2 pick would be pretty sweet. Someone like Andre Branch will probably be available if we get a high 2nd round pick by trade.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story...lented-group-of-hybrid-pass-rushers-in-mobile

SENIOR BOWL OLB PROSPECTS

1. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina (6-1 7/8, 276 pounds)

Ingram couldn't be blocked in the Tuesday practice, as he showcased a complete arsenal of pass rush moves. He reminds me a lot of Pittsburgh Steelers star LaMarr Woodley, and is stout against the run. I see him as more of a 3-4 outside linebacker than a 4-3 defensive end.

2. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama (6-1 1/2, 273)

Upshaw is another ideal 3-4 OLB in the mold of Woodley, but he can come out of a three-point stance with explosiveness as an open-side end if a 4-3 team is interested. Upshaw does not have as much quick-twitch ability as Ingram, but he makes up for it in pure strength and football speed.

3. Shea McClellin, Boise State (6-3 1/4, 248)

McClellin was with the defensive ends in the 4-3 scheme on Monday. By Tuesday, he was working with the linebackers. McClellin was a tight end in high school and has plenty of skill to drop in coverage. When he rushes the passer from a two-point stance, like a 3-4 outside linebacker, he has a solid arsenal of moves to get to the quarterback. He reminds me of the Houston Texans' Connor Barwin when he was at the 2009 Senior Bowl. I heard one head coach say McClellin reminds him of Mike Vrabel, which is pretty high praise in my book.

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get the best player you can in the first round. I would go for anything other than a WR. You might lean a little more towards a pass rusher if an elite one is there but in no way should TT draft just based on need.

T

TheOnlyMeIKnow

I don't think it's DE or OLB. I think it's either DB (When have we actually NEEDED a 1st round DB, we usually just draft them for the hell of it) DE cause we need one, or if there's a good running back we go there. OTHER possible solutions is ILB, as much as I love Hawk, he was lazy this year in his tackling, and if he's calling the signals he should be a leader, which he isn't proving to be.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Making a swap with the Fins would be awesome, but the swap from 28 to 9 is roughly a late 1st round pick, and then throw in a 3 rounder as well, just don't see it happen, Flynn sure looked good, but with only 2 real NFL starts, there is still a lot of unanswered Q's about Flynn.
Just don't think any team is gonna make the same mistake Arizona did on Kolb.
Flynn is only a second round pick.

Though i would like a Hawk trade (7round :() , he's been playing some pure ball the past years, Barnett come back!

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I agree whole heatedly that we need a bad *** linebacker. I don't know about an outside linebacker because we need help stopping the run or passes across the middle. Last year almost any time an opposing team needed a first down of almost any length they threw it across the middle and most of the time they got their first down. We also need another good pass rusher. We got torn up without a pass rush last year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts