FIRST ROUND PICK - DE or OLB

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The title says it all. We DO NOT need a RB or CB... we need a Defensive End or a OLB who can be explosive and bring a pass rush on the opposite side of Clay Mathews. We had 27 sacks all year long, Jared Allen had 22. That's embarrassing. The longer any defense gives Qb's to throw the ball, the higher the possibility that he will tear your defense up. It all starts with the pass rush. That is why we do not need to draft anyone else at any other position besides a DE or OLB in the first round. And if for some reason they decide to draft at a different position, I wouldn't mind another O-lineman, but that's it.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First pick should be the best pass rusher on the board. DE or OLB, either one. I think either Upshaw or Mercilus are likely to be there when we pick, but things can change a lot over the next 3 months. There are other good options who could start immediately as well.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on who is available at the 28th pick in the draft. If it's better value to take a de in the first go their. By looking at this years class I'm going to guess we will be better off drafting a olb this year in the first and maybe trading up in the second for Winn.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best available defensive lineman or outside linebacker should be drafted in the first round and second round. There are no other choices except safety if one is available and Nick Collins is forced to retire.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First pick should be the best pass rusher on the board. DE or OLB, either one. I think either Upshaw or Mercilus are likely to be there when we pick, but things can change a lot over the next 3 months. There are other good options who could start immediately as well.

Every mock draft I have seen has shown Upshaw going earlier than the 28th pick. I would love to see him sitting there for us at 28 though :D

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I think a good solid defensive end who can get interior pressure can make any OLB's job getting to the QB and stopping the run easier.

So I would say defensive end, but at the same time Courtney Upshaw, IMO, is the Von Miller of this draft class and he simply can't be passed up and if we have to take him first overall or trade up to get him, I think that is what should be done.

There are more good Defensive Ends in the draft than OLB's. We can still come away with a great D-End even if we take Upshaw with our first pick.

If we can develop a dominant pass rush, it will severely diminish the severity of the potential loss of Nick Collins. If you have a good enough pass rush, pass coverage, by logic will improve as well. And when we had a good pass rush during our superbowl run, our secondary had a much easier time covering.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought we should have gotten an OLB in the 1st round last year, that didn't happen.

But like someone else said, whoever is the best pass rusher available. If a DE first, OLB NEEDS to be next, and vice versa. We need them both. And a S/CB (depends on Collins)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bunch of draft gurus have us taking Andre Branch with the 28th pick. Anyone know much about this guy and why he's rated so highly as a DE? Brandon Jenkins is rated much higher and will probably be available for the 28th pick. Jenkins is also a speed rusher, so why take Branch over him?

Trading up to get either Upshaw or Mercilus would be the best thing.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm telling you the motto of "we need to take the best available _____ when it's our pick" is what losing NFL franchises do year in and year out. They constantly try to address needs on the fly, and by doing so pass up on the really great players that aren't as big of a need. It leaves the positions that are seen as strengths ignored, and I think we know that a strength can turn into a weakness awfully quick.

I'm saying virtually any position on defense aside from NT can be upgraded (assuming Collins doesn't come back). Ted won't get caught up in the "we need to draft a ____" line of thinking. That thinking would have landed AR on some other team, and who knows how many other great players on this roster.

I'm all for addressing the OLB/DE problem in this draft, it needs to be done. But it needs to be done in a way that makes sense.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bunch of draft gurus have us taking Andre Branch with the 28th pick. Anyone know much about this guy and why he's rated so highly as a DE? Brandon Jenkins is rated much higher and will probably be available for the 28th pick. Jenkins is also a speed rusher, so why take Branch over him?

Trading up to get either Upshaw or Mercilus would be the best thing.

Thing is TT has a much different way of thinking than the talking heads. I'm not sure they factor that in when they compile their mock drafts.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm telling you the motto of "we need to take the best available _____ when it's our pick" is what losing NFL franchises do year in and year out. They constantly try to address needs on the fly, and by doing so pass up on the really great players that aren't as big of a need. It leaves the positions that are seen as strengths ignored, and I think we know that a strength can turn into a weakness awfully quick.

I'm saying virtually any position on defense aside from NT can be upgraded (assuming Collins doesn't come back). Ted won't get caught up in the "we need to draft a ____" line of thinking. That thinking would have landed AR on some other team, and who knows how many other great players on this roster.

I'm all for addressing the OLB/DE problem in this draft, it needs to be done. But it needs to be done in a way that makes sense.
There are ways of selecting BPA and filling a need. Thompson has said that himself so he could be looking to move up or down in the draft to select a need.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It's way too early to talk names, but yea, I think a DE and then an OLB unless one of way superior talent drops. We'll get a better look at who might be there after the combine.
I wouldn't be disappointed if a safety is there if Nick is not coming back, and it's not likely he will be.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

Your dead on about drafting BAP. But we should have a slew of draft picks this year with our compensatory and the ones he traded for last year. Ted may use them to horsetrade his way up and grab a couple of prizes like he did when he picked up Raji and Matthews. He won't trade away the future but I would think he doesn't want to lose any opportunities for championships with A-Rod at the helm. We need to address the pass rush and he will move up or down to get the BAP and value he thinks will get the job done. My guess is up and grab an interior Lineman and an OLB. our secondary would be stellar if we had a powerfull pass rush and run stop.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we have a bunch of extra picks this year? I didn't realize that. Either way, I'd be surprised if he trades up in the first...although the urgency is there as it was when CM3 was drafted and it was the first year in the 3-4.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we have a bunch of extra picks this year? I didn't realize that. Either way, I'd be surprised if he trades up in the first...although the urgency is there as it was when CM3 was drafted and it was the first year in the 3-4.

- The Packers are owed an undisclosed draft pick from the Tennessee Titans for FB Quinn Johnson.
- The Packers are owed an undisclosed draft pick from the New York Jets for an OT I've never heard of.

The Packers should also get a compesatory pick (probably 4th round) for losing Cullen Jenkins.

OP
OP
Packers80

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- The Packers are owed an undisclosed draft pick from the Tennessee Titans for FB Quinn Johnson.
- The Packers are owed an undisclosed draft pick from the New York Jets for an OT I've never heard of.

The Packers should also get a compesatory pick (probably 4th round) for losing Cullen Jenkins.
Caleb Schlauderaff who we drafted last year. I've heard we might even get a 3rd rounder for Jenkins but I don't know. Also, there are talks about possibly bringing Cullen Jenkins back. That would interesting.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't follow college ball hardly at all, so I really can't say who is good and who isn't but I WILL say this: We take the best available at the time of our pick! However, if I had to choose I would pick a DE, as Claymaker is an OLB and we can't really afford to have 2 LBs blitzing at once consistently ...creates holes in zone or match up problems when we go man.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought we didn't get the quinn johnson pick because he didnt play in all 16 games. Which was one of the provisions?

Reaction score
if we're sticking with that "2-4-5" then idk, I think we should get a Big Cullen Jenkins type DE.
A guy that can eat up space (like pickett/green) and can get after the QB, with Raji and the new DE bullrushing the middle, the QB can't step up and throw, which means Clay & the other OLB can just run around the OTs.
idk... DE/DT/OLB and OT.

greenbayscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get Mario Williams or Cliff Avril from Free Agency and Draft an attacking D Lineman First Round.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would guess the picks for Johnson and the O lineman will be like 6th or 7th rounders? Cullen maybe a 4th.

Not sure you can do much with those.

Members online

Latest posts