Favre playing for the right reasons.....

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking of this for a while now since last night's game and I was wondering what all of you thought of this idea: Favre is always talking about he wants people to know he is playing for the right reasons, and that NOT being money or RECORDS. Now, is it possible because he CONSTANTLY says he doesnt care about records and he doesn't want people to think he's playing for the wrong reasons that it is actually causing him to retire BECAUSE of it? We all know he would get the TD record and other big time records if he plays next season, so then people might say that he always wanted the records all along. But, he always says he doesn't want them and he plays for the love of the game(which I believe is true). So, I'm thinking that maybe because he always is saying he doesn't want the glory and the records and the spotlight on him that he may be leaving because he knows that next season he would be getting all the records and people might say that's WHY he came back, and he doesn't want people to view him as that kind of guy. Now, if the Packers could be an elite team next season with Favre, that would change everything because the Packers and Favre would be playing for a Superbowl, not just records as some might say.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he cares about money. Why? He doesn't need it. I will say though he might not care about his legacy because he knows it's intact but I think he likes the records. Every player likes the records. From Jerry Rice to Reggie White. They all liked to remember records. So I would'nt really consider them a huge factor but more of a bonus to him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pork, last year with Chris Mortenson he mentioned he cared about his legacy. It was somewhat the foundation of me beliving he was playing the following year. I believe it was the same interview he said he didn't know if he wanted the ball in the last two minutes.

And for what its worth. He also said the records mean nothing now, BUT they will mean something to him after he's done.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Brett would not retire for what people think. No one, even ESPN wouldn't say he's coming back for the records. Everyone seems to know that the Packers are good, they are getting really good and next year we could be amazing, with Brett leading though. No one believes Brett should retire, not the media, not his family, maybe the Viqueen fans, haha, but thats about it. To leave to be paranoid about what people think about him, no, not a Brett mindset at all.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
interesting posts.................Brett Favre is such an interesting person. I think he plays the game because he loves it. But personally I'd be surprised if he didn't come back next year because he has a chance to go and get that touchdown passing record and I do believe that stuff is meaningful to him. I don't think he plays soley to get records now, but I think they're important to him. Not that he needs the money, but having those records until Payton Manning gets them is important to him.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry Sanders walked away within reach of the all time rushing record.
To some people it's not the records that matter.

Hopefully they matter enough to Brett to allow us to watch him for one more year at least.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very Interesting original Post,

I think you may be right that Brett has too much pride to come back with people thinking it's just for the records. I think that is why it is of extra importance that TT and MM convince him that his coming back will continue helping taking this team to the next level ( a serious playoff push next year ) !!!

Members online

Latest posts