Favre is still better

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're probably right. I'm guessing that in Mississippi Favre is treated like the governor, or the king, or someone famous. Kind of ridiculous after what we've learned about him (or not learned). Even so, I can almost understand (understand, not condone) wanting to take other people's money if it was so easy. But to take money intended for the poor, for kids - and there's a lot of poverty in the South - well that's deplorable.

Probably not enough to get his name taken down from the Lambeau "ring" but it should be if he did this.
I don't believe Favre is actually the sharpest knife in the drawer. In fact, I think he's probably as sharp as a knife that's repeatedly drawn across a stone, blade down! He's what's known as; "Down home smart!" He can bait a hook, pump gas, knows how to text pictures of his privates, which shows he's a little bit on the stupid side!

But, none of that takes away from his football skills. Excuse my saying this, but he's a hillbilly with money. I'd even be willing to bet that some of his relatives have a vehicle of some sort up on blocks, with no wheels, somewhere on their property. Maybe even him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Favre is actually the sharpest knife in the drawer. In fact, I think he's probably as sharp as a knife that's repeatedly drawn across a stone, blade down! He's what's known as; "Down home smart!" He can bait a hook, pump gas, knows how to text pictures of his privates, which shows he's a little bit on the stupid side!

But, none of that takes away from his football skills. Excuse my saying this, but he's a hillbilly with money. I'd even be willing to bet that some of his relatives have a vehicle of some sort up on blocks, with no wheels, somewhere on their property. Maybe even him.
OK I'm done laughing. But yeah, Favre never struck me as very smart - or maybe hillbilly smart. I still have a hard time believing that he would knowingly redirect millions from the poor to a volleyball stadium for his daughter. I just don't think he's a bad person. And people who live in Mississippi see the poverty everyday. Not just cars but whole houses up on blocks......

Certainly there are some people, and a lot of them are politicians, who would have no qualms doing such a thing. But Favre? IMO he's not that immoral, or that smart.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK I'm done laughing. But yeah, Favre never struck me as very smart - or maybe hillbilly smart. I still have a hard time believing that he would knowingly redirect millions from the poor to a volleyball stadium for his daughter. I just don't think he's a bad person. And people who live in Mississippi see the poverty everyday. Not just cars but whole houses up on blocks......

Certainly there are some people, and a lot of them are politicians, who would have no qualms doing such a thing. But Favre? IMO he's not that immoral, or that smart.

I can hear them now, saying; "Don't worry about it! It's not really money they're gonna get anyhow! It's money that's going back into the general fund. Nobody cares!" He'd buy it.

Telling a story here.... Years ago, when I was in Vicksburg, MS, visiting the Civil War battlefield, and touring the iron clad, Cairo, I met a guy who played college football at the University of Indiana, when my Cousin was the QB at Wisconsin. Although we were both older, I thought I recognized him, and introduced myself, as we sat there, drinking coffee, we became friends. Our discussion turned to what he was doing there.

"Trying to save historic buildings, even if it means repurposing to make it happen." He said. I thought it was commendable. Then he told me how he was waiting for a guy to show, whom he was going to make an offer on a property that was near the Biedenham Coca-Cola Museum, where Coke was first bottled. He had several other properties he was negotiating on, but this one in particular was going to be the one that either pried others loose, or would end his chances to pretty much buy any of it. Apparently this guy was kind of the alpha owner, or something.

When the guy showed, I started to get up to leave, and he told me to stay. So, I sat back down.

The guy arrived and introduced himself. My new friend stood up, and turned on the best "Southern drawl" I'd ever heard. I thought sure as h*** I'd been talking to someone who was from the Southern Mississippi sticks. After a short discussion about the weather, and how well Ol' Miss was doing in football (which by the way was called cra*** by the new guy), it got down to business.

"It's good you ain't now carpetbagger!" The guy said. "I ain't giving those SOBs anything in my town. Don't want them pi**ing in a gas station while driving through." Then he looked at me. "You from up North?" "Nope!" I said. "From Texas. Not a damned Yankee!" He just shook his head, and I shut my mouth.

After about 5 minutes of a negotiation dance, the guy said; "Alright. You got a deal. I'll have my people draw it up, and you look it over." With that, he stood up, spit in his hand, and shook my new friend's hand, after he spit in his too, before the shake.

As soon as the guy had left, my friend excused himself, went to the bathroom, and washed his hand. When he got back, he sat down, and said. "There goes any chance of my eating dinner tonight!" We laughed.

He did buy the property, and several others, and is a mover and shaker in getting it done. But, like he's told me since then, over the phone, and when I last saw him. He has to turn on that "Southern charm," which is nothing more than a back woods accent to get the job done. If he didn't they'd still call him a carpetbagger, and this has been going on for nearly 20 years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can hear them now, saying; "Don't worry about it! It's not really money they're gonna get anyhow! It's money that's going back into the general fund. Nobody cares!" He'd buy it.

Telling a story here.... Years ago, when I was in Vicksburg, MS, visiting the Civil War battlefield, and touring the iron clad, Cairo, I met a guy who played college football at the University of Indiana, when my Cousin was the QB at Wisconsin. Although we were both older, I thought I recognized him, and introduced myself, as we sat there, drinking coffee, we became friends. Our discussion turned to what he was doing there.

"Trying to save historic buildings, even if it means repurposing to make it happen." He said. I thought it was commendable. Then he told me how he was waiting for a guy to show, whom he was going to make an offer on a property that was near the Biedenham Coca-Cola Museum, where Coke was first bottled. He had several other properties he was negotiating on, but this one in particular was going to be the one that either pried others loose, or would end his chances to pretty much buy any of it. Apparently this guy was kind of the alpha owner, or something.

When the guy showed, I started to get up to leave, and he told me to stay. So, I sat back down.

The guy arrived and introduced himself. My new friend stood up, and turned on the best "Southern drawl" I'd ever heard. I thought sure as h*** I'd been talking to someone who was from the Southern Mississippi sticks. After a short discussion about the weather, and how well Ol' Miss was doing in football (which by the way was called cra*** by the new guy), it got down to business.

"It's good you ain't now carpetbagger!" The guy said. "I ain't giving those SOBs anything in my town. Don't want them pi**ing in a gas station while driving through." Then he looked at me. "You from up North?" "Nope!" I said. "From Texas. Not a damned Yankee!" He just shook his head, and I shut my mouth.

After about 5 minutes of a negotiation dance, the guy said; "Alright. You got a deal. I'll have my people draw it up, and you look it over." With that, he stood up, spit in his hand, and shook my new friend's hand, after he spit in his too, before the shake.

As soon as the guy had left, my friend excused himself, went to the bathroom, and washed his hand. When he got back, he sat down, and said. "There goes any chance of my eating dinner tonight!" We laughed.

He did buy the property, and several others, and is a mover and shaker in getting it done. But, like he's told me since then, over the phone, and when I last saw him. He has to turn on that "Southern charm," which is nothing more than a back woods accent to get the job done. If he didn't they'd still call him a carpetbagger, and this has been going on for nearly 20 years.
Great story! It’s probably been going on since the Civil War ended!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, people are certainly capable of not seeing the bad in things when it benefits them. It's called rationalization. Does not make it right. And imo they are still culpable.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It always amazes me that people still hold hard feelings from the Civil War.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It always amazes me that people still hold hard feelings from the Civil War.
Other than use of the word “carpetbaggers” and in a relatively current context (the last 20 years), I don’t see any expression of hard feelings about the CW.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In "Good old boy society," they're allowed to "twist" the rules to fit their own needs. It's in the Red Neck Playbook. I see it all the time down here in Texas.

Read what Longtime fan said very carefully, and I think you'll get the drift.
They must have sent a whole train load of those Red Neck Playbooks up to Washington DC

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they pack it in their luggage right next to the Bible, which they use to put under the leg of an uneven table.
I used to date an Evangelical woman from Georgia. Using the Bible to balance a table or chair was the main use of the book.......

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I just don't think he would knowingly take money intended for the poor to build a volleyball court for his alma mater and daughter. He's just not that kind of guy. Just my opinion.
In my opinion, it would be ill advised to assume that you or anyone else for that matter know anything at all about some of these guys on a personal level. All we know about these guys is what the media perceives them to be. And/or what they want you to believe they are....

For example: the media portrays the narrative that Rodgers is an awful person. What basis do we have to believe that is correct, outside of differing political opinions and the occasional eye roll at a teammate?

Another example: the media used to portray Favre as an incredible person. What basis do we have to believe this is correct, outside of him jumping into the arms of teammates because the 'kid never left him' and 'he's just so in love with the game'. And a few wrangler commericals?

The fact is, Rodgers could be an incredible person and Favre could be a total POS. Or it could be the complete opposite. We don't know. But making assumptions either way is egregious at best.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, it would be ill advised to assume that you or anyone else for that matter know anything at all about some of these guys on a personal level. All we know about these guys is what the media perceives them to be. And/or what they want you to believe they are....

For example: the media portrays the narrative that Rodgers is an awful person. What basis do we have to believe that is correct, outside of differing political opinions and the occasional eye roll at a teammate?

Another example: the media used to portray Favre as an incredible person. What basis do we have to believe this is correct, outside of him jumping into the arms of teammates because the 'kid never left him' and 'he's just so in love with the game'. And a few wrangler commericals?

The fact is, Rodgers could be an incredible person and Favre could be a total POS. Or it could be the complete opposite. We don't know. But making assumptions either way is egregious at best.
You're right. I can see why celebrities get irritated by all that is written about them. I guess it's the price of fame. On an individual level, we need to show restraint.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favres fearless, agressive, uninhibited style of play defenitly was something that inspired and exited a team to go out and give it all they had.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let us just say that he is a good ole boy. And we love him.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let us just say that he is a good ole boy. And we love him.
Yeah, I used to be willing and able to take this kind of approach re Favre. I loved to watch him play and loved where he led the Packers, even though he was imperfect on and off the field. We're all imperfect, and I have a lot of patience for that.

The latest stuff coming out is way too much for me to be willing to excuse on a moral level - leaving aside any legal nuances or any perceived political slant - i can't overlook or excuse his willingness to sneak millions of dollars specifically intended to help desperately needy people. It's surprising to me to hear people express affection for him on any level right now.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I used to be willing and able to take this kind of approach re Favre. I loved to watch him play and loved where he led the Packers, even though he was imperfect on and off the field. We're all imperfect, and I have a lot of patience for that.

The latest stuff coming out is way too much for me to be willing to excuse on a moral level - leaving aside any legal nuances or any perceived political slant - i can't overlook or excuse his willingness to sneak millions of dollars specifically intended to help desperately needy people. It's surprising to me to hear people express affection for him on any level right now.
Well said. When these reports started, it seemed like he may have made an honest mistake. Now there is not much doubt it was intentional and he knew who he was taking money from - the poor and needy. That's disgusting. He can't rely on a busy schedule as an excuse either. I mean, what the hell does he do now? Take from the poor, I guess. The anti-Robinhood.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're right. There's absolutely no excuse for what he did. Then there's the issue of his having diverted $130k of the charity money his foundation brought in over two years, for the athletic department at the school. In the meanwhile, not one of the charities that were real, that were given donations, received more than $10k.

I just hope people don't believe that this is the way the vast majority of famous people act. I've met people in all walks of life that are like this, but even more who are there to help others, in any way they can.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. There's absolutely no excuse for what he did. Then there's the issue of his having diverted $130k of the charity money his foundation brought in over two years, for the athletic department at the school. In the meanwhile, not one of the charities that were real, that were given donations, received more than $10k.

I just hope people don't believe that this is the way the vast majority of famous people act. I've met people in all walks of life that are like this, but even more who are there to help others, in any way they can.
Good point. In this regard Favre is the exception - the exceptionally greedy, exceptionally immoral, exceptionally stupid.

Members online

Latest posts