Favre faces biggest challenge of professional career.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Favre Faces 'Biggest Challenge' Of Playing Career

by Jeff Fedotin, Packers.com
posted 09/21/2005

Brett Favre

Related Information

: Audio

: Packers-Buccaneers Gameday

: Video

Quarterback Brett Favre sat down with head coach Mike Sherman on Tuesday to discuss his quest of leading a young, 0-2 team to a season befitting the standards set by the Green Bay Packers organization.

"I consider this part or this stage in my career maybe the biggest challenge I've ever faced individually or as a team," Favre said.

The current Packers roster is tied for the NFC lead with their number of rookies and first-year players (13), and the 15-year-veteran relishes the prospect of teaching a young team how to win.

"To lead this young team is something promising," he said. "These experts have written us off."

He has passed for 50, 277 passing yards and 379 touchdowns. He has won 135 games, a Super Bowl championship and an NFL-record three MVP awards. But this challenge has stoked Favre's juices more than any statistic or honor could.

"I would love to win a Super Bowl, but I can leave this game, saying I have won one, saying I've achieved everything individually and as a team that you can achieve. Not many guys can say that," Favre said. "There's nothing left for me to prove. I could care less if I break Dan Marino's record or not. I care could less if I throw for 50,000 yards and be one of three to do that."

Some observers have predicted this season -- so far a disappointing one -- will force Favre into retirement. Favre, instead, emphasized the season's competitive thrill.

"Losing is no fun, but I'm sure having a lot of fun with these guys," he said. "Of all the seasons, maybe I'll say this is the most satisfying and the most fun."

To accomplish Favre's quest, the Packers obviously will have to play better than they have during their first two games.

Favre attributes the poor performances not to lack of talent but to penalties, a low takeaway-giveaway ratio and miscommunication.

"The things that have contributed to us losing are the little things," he said.

Because the team can address those flaws, Sherman has high expectations for Sunday.

"We will be much improved this week," he said.

To improve, other players besides Favre will have to rise to the occasion. Favre cited seven-year-veteran Donald Driver's six catch, 105-yard, one touchdown performance against the Cleveland Browns as one example. The younger plays on the roster will have to do the same.

"The jury's still out on who's gonna step up," Favre said. "The opportunity for some of our young guys is there."

Youth may surround him, but Favre has a 15-6 record against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including several verbal spats between him and since-departed defensive tackle Warren Sapp. The Tampa Bay defense expects another dogfight on Sunday.

"We've had some classic battles -- Brett and this defense, and we respect that fact. We know what he can do when that offense is hot," Buccaneers linebacker Derrick Brooks said. "We know we've got to be on our A game."

The Buccaneers have earned such grades thus far this season. They enter Sunday's game with a 2-0 record and the NFL's No. 1 ranked defense while the Packers have not forced any turnovers through two games. But as a 15-year veteran, Favre knows the season is a marathon not a sprint.

"You're obviously in a better mood when you're 2-0,'" he said. "It's way too early to be too optimistic or too pessimistic."

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys - I just wrote up an "opinion-laden piece about the Browns game over on our IPB web site.... Take a gander and chew it up..... It's my first try, but 'what da hey'... My regular writer is on sick leave.

IPBprez, da Writer - uh-oh

Go easy - I'm a Rookie, ya know!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, yea - I forgot to add a color code to the link, like I usually do to avoid that KNOWN ISSUE...

Edited... okay guys... - Thanks!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ryan said:
SlickVision said:
IPBprez said:

for some reason i can't see links!!!

anyone else having the same prob?

Known problem

See THIS.

hmm shouldn't be too hard to find?? I think it'd be in the .css under like alink or vlink or something...

EDIT, the forum template .css or one of the .tpl i think posting.tpl? im not sure i have to see mine first lol

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's easy to find in the .css file, I would have fixed it as it's just the ".a" class. the default hyperlink class for the site. The problem is, that default class is used all over the place (one place is the entire navigation menu). So I made a new class to that I was going to replace it with, but I can't figure out how to apply it to the post body links. They work fine if you use the [ url] tags but not if you just drop a hyperlink in. So that's why it's still jacked.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a problem - I think that we just need to use the Hyperlink button in the Menu... It's what I do over on the FTO site... and it works just fine..

It also allows everyone to flavor their linkage with a comment - the guys should check it out and give it a go.... Funstuff.

My error on this one and easily corrected... no harm, no foul.
(scroll back up and check out my editing)

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
IPBprez said:

for some reason i can't see links!!!

anyone else having the same prob?

There is nothing wrong with your monitor. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper... You have just entered, the Twilight Zone!!! :p

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of quotes from Favre from that press conference that weren't mentioned in that article are listed below. I liked Favre's last answer. Cliff Christl stated:

On Wednesday, he also said that under no circumstances, including a chance to win a Super Bowl, would he consider playing elsewhere.

"I don’t have the energy to learn a new offense," he said. Later, he added, "It wouldn’t be right for me to play somewhere else."

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
A couple of quotes from Favre from that press conference that weren't mentioned in that article are listed below. I liked Favre's last answer. Cliff Christl stated:

On Wednesday, he also said that under no circumstances, including a chance to win a Super Bowl, would he consider playing elsewhere.

"I don’t have the energy to learn a new offense," he said. Later, he added, "It wouldn’t be right for me to play somewhere else."

Joe Montana could have learned a thing or two from Brett

Members online

Latest posts