FA: Mason Crosby Edition

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What the hell makes you think I was talking about money? I was talking about him not having to fight for his job every damn year. Jeez.

That's not how it works. If he has a bad year he's going to have competition in training camp the following year. Simple as that. It does not matter whether he's on a 2 year deal or a 5 year deal.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not how it works. If he has a bad year he's going to have competition in training camp the following year. Simple as that. It does not matter whether he's on a 2 year deal or a 5 year deal.

That doesn't mean you have to sign him to a string of one year contracts. Sign him up for 4 and if he has a bad year bring some competition. But he shouldn't have to worry if he has a job when that isn't the case.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't mean you have to sign him to a string of one year contracts. Sign him up for 4 and if he has a bad year bring some competition. But he shouldn't have to worry if he has a job when that isn't the case.

I think it's quite possible he kicks for 5+ more years, but I'd be shocked if he gets more than 3 years on this contract. I'm not sure you will find too many examples in NFL history of a kicker over 35 getting a 4 or longer year deal.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's quite possible he kicks for 5+ more years, but I'd be shocked if he gets more than 3 years on this contract. I'm not sure you will find too many examples in NFL history of a kicker over 35 getting a 4 or longer year deal.

35 isn't old for a healthy kicker and Mason has been a pretty sturdy guy. Barring serious injury there's no reason to think he couldn't go well into his 40s.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
35 isn't old for a healthy kicker and Mason has been a pretty sturdy guy. Barring serious injury there's no reason to think he couldn't go well into his 40s.

I didn't disagree. I'm just saying guys his age usually do not get deals that long, historically it just does not happen.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I didn't disagree. I'm just saying guys his age usually do not get deals that long, historically it just does not happen.

9'ers signed Gould to a 4 year deal last July, making him the highest paid kicker in the NFL, he was 36 when he inked the deal.

I still think K remains one of the better "bargains" in the NFL. When I say bargains, I mean the difference in the amount of money you have to pay the best VS the worst. When you consider what a missed kick or 2 can cost a team, I would be willing to spend a little extra on a proven kicker.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
9'ers signed Gould to a 4 year deal last July, making him the highest paid kicker in the NFL, he was 36 when he inked the deal.

I still think K remains one of the better "bargains" in the NFL. When I say bargains, I mean the difference in the amount of money you have to pay the best VS the worst. When you consider what a missed kick or 2 can cost a team, I would be willing to spend a little extra on a proven kicker.

And the highest paid kicker Gould hit less than 75% of his FGs this year. Kickers are too volatile to count on being consistent year to year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And the highest paid kicker Gould hit less than 75% of his FGs this year. Kickers are too volatile to count on being consistent year to year.

I think the good kickers are going to have their slumps like everyone, but if you panic and cut them to quick, you might regret it. Eventually, like a great golfer, they figure it out again.

1/2 of the 8 kicks he missed this year were 50+ yds and I think I remember something about him playing through a quad injury. Anyway, guessing the 9'ers still feel pretty comfortable with Gould being their kicker for the next 3 years. After the Bears cut Gould, I believe Bear kickers combined for like 19 missed FG's over 3 years and during that time, Gould missed a total of 3.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I undervalue kickers full admittance and love Mason, but yet again my business mind does feel it is best to move on and put money elsewhere...my heart will be happy to see him keep playing till he's 40.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I undervalue kickers full admittance and love Mason, but yet again my business mind does feel it is best to move on and put money elsewhere...my heart will be happy to see him keep playing till he's 40.

Then as GM you will need to decide who you will replace him with and if that guy doesn't work out, who is next? Oh, and how much money will you ultimately save and how will you improve the team with that amount?

Find me a cheap rookie K who will retire in 15 years as one of the best kickers in Packer history and you got yourself a deal! I bet during those 15 years, we will have this same debate though, "is he worth the money after THAT season he just had?"

I mean I get it, nobody wants to see their team have a top 5 paid kicker that isn't producing top 5 stats every single season. However, if you look at the position over the long haul and the players that have been pretty consistent over the long haul in both the regular season and the playoffs, I think you will find Crosby is worth the money and peace of mind. Finally, there are far worse positions to find yourself overpaying for a player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree, and 100% get it. It is one position I fully admit I undervalue and truly believe shouldn't make or break a team's success on a scale of which is so important to pay a ton for. Not saying that mindset is correct at all. I liken it to the rule some (myself included) have to never sign a RB MASSIVE money contracts if they're over 30 nowadays.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how the Packers address that with Aaron Jones if he continues to play as well as he has, since his rookie deal is up after next season.

You cut off the over 30 clause, I believe Aaron is worth big money for our organization. I'd attempt to correspond any serious escalation if at all possible post Rodgers contract, which I'm more and more feeling is his last with us..but I could be wrong.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You cut off the over 30 clause

I did that intentionally ;) I think you still have to have that discussion about how much a RB is worth, no matter his age. Look at Bell and the Steelers/Jets and Gurley and the Rams this year. I really like Aaron Jones, but the Packers are going to have to weigh very carefully just how valuable he is over another guy.

I mean hell, look at what Adrian Peterson has done in Washington the last 2 seasons, most thought the guy was washed up years ago. So yeah, 30 seems to be the benchmark, but shouldn't be the only criteria.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did that intentionally ;) I think you still have to have that discussion about how much a RB is worth, no matter his age. Look at Bell and the Steelers/Jets and Gurley and the Rams this year. I really like Aaron Jones, but the Packers are going to be have to weigh very carefully just how valuable he is over another guy.

I mean hell, look at what Adrian Peterson has done in Washington the last 2 seasons, most thought the guy was washed up years ago. So yeah, 30 seems to be the benchmark, but shouldn't be the only criteria.

100% I have a hunch Williams could be kept and not Jones for that very reason. Be CRAZY watching Aaron Jones walk, but that contract is gonna be MASSIVE.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
100% I have a hunch Williams could be kept and not Jones for that very reason. Be CRAZY watching Aaron Jones walk, but that contract is gonna be MASSIVE.
All depends on how much of Jones's success the Packers attribute to his abilities and how much they feel is a result of the system.

I remember when Kareem Hunt was cut by the Chiefs due to his off the field incident, Chief fans were beside themselves as to what they were losing. Seems they didn't need him and he really hasn't done much in Cleveland. Just found this while looking for his stats. *shakes my head*

https://nypost.com/2020/01/29/chiefs-damien-williams-feels-for-ex-teammate-kareem-hunt/

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All depends on how much of Jones's success the Packers attribute to his abilities and how much they feel is a result of the system.

I remember when Kareem Hunt was cut by the Chiefs due to his off the field incident, Chief fans were beside themselves as to what they were losing. Seems they didn't need him and he really hasn't done much in Cleveland. Just found this while looking for his stats. *shakes my head*

https://nypost.com/2020/01/29/chiefs-damien-williams-feels-for-ex-teammate-kareem-hunt/

There are more examples of teams stalling or stopping their success by draining their financing towards a RB for sure. It could truly be what makes or breaks our franchise once we hit that point.

Members online

Latest posts