ESPN-Ranking the 5 WORST NFL OFFSEASONS BY TEAM

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-offseasons-worst-first-barnwell-all-32-teams

^^Complete article linked above. Very limited blocked single paragraph sample below.

In an offseason in which the draft was full of wide receiver talent and veteran wideout prices were depressed, the Packers really couldn't come away with more than Funchess? Taking Love was one thing, but using a second-round pick on bruising running back AJ Dillon seemed more egregious. It also seemed to hint that Aaron Jones' future after the season lies outside of Green Bay, which is unlikely to make many Packers fans happy.The decision to move on from Bulaga also was curious, given that he signed a relatively friendly deal with the Chargers. It's possible the Packers weren't given an option to match, but if they could have signed Bulaga for three years and $30 million, they should have brought back their stalwart right tackle.They didn't do much to address their woeful run defense either.

Taryn Miller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder whether any WR on the team or had been taken in the draft will/would be able to sway Rodgers from having an eye for Adams. Adams had 127 targets while missing 4 games and the second most targets was MVS at 56 and Allison at 55 coming in third. How many more targets would Adams have taken from the other two had he not missed 4 games? This doesn't exude much confidence in the WR group as spoken to by the top 3 in GB, whose words are taken as near to Gospel as possible, by many. I thought GB would select a WR in the first three rounds and feel they missed out. The production that will be needed in the run game will be twice as much, if no WR can become a valuable speck in Rodgers eyes to erase that which consumes his eyes now with Adams. This would be a huge addition by subtraction and take the pressure off the expectations of the new run offense going forward, that which Gute and MLF placed on it.

I guess things would look smoother in trying to balance the offense as a whole, if you were able to have some balance in an offensive group first. The drop off in the WR group is quite substantial, the RB seems less an issue, while the TE group is close to a cluster fu%k with much of the groups' success being bet on Sternberger not being a sh&t burger, as has been the diet in recent years.

Whether this draft by GB is a legit bottom five as this ESPN article claims, we'll find out and the three-year waiting period is waived here, because they drafted not to improve this team now, and declared that they have enough. I hope it doesn't mean 'had enough' by the last SF beating.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is zero reason to say the Vikings had a better off-season than the Packers. Outside of rookies they added one solid guy who I am forgetting (Michael Pierce) and a middling wr in Sharpe. They lost diggs, Waynes, Rhodes, Alexander, Joseph, Griffen, Stephens, Sendejo, and a starting olineman in kline

But sure that isn't as bad as the Packers simply bc they didnt draft who people wanted.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t wait for next week and we can have an nbc ranking of poor drafts and the abc ranking and I think we’ve already and cbs sports, dix may be next. The pro football focus can do when and blame it all on Rodgers. Maybe spin it so Rodgers forced Gute to have a “bad” draft and the. Week after we can get a link from bleacher report about how bad the draft was. Bart Scott!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Dillon pick necessarily means that Jones will not be resigned, but it is possible. The current trend in the NFL says don't pay big money for a RB, go with a cheap one.

This doesn't exude much confidence in the WR group as spoken to by the top 3 in GB, whose words are taken as near to Gospel as possible, by many.
Many of the "defend Rodgers at all costs" guys will disagree that he hesitates to throw to certain receivers. But if the front office thinks he does, it helps explain the Jordan Love pick. Since he's a MLF guy, he would probably fully embrace his system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love Rodgers. I’ve defended him quite often so I’m well aware of that position for a fan. But over time he’s been less than agreeable and bordering on being a jerk. (although more recently he seems to be maturing).
Let’s be honest, he’s not quite the same QB as of late and he’s suffered some pretty serious injuries. He’s also on the back 9 of his career. I’m guessing he’s digressing slightly before he’s improving over the term of his current contract. There’s also a possibility that he suffers another injury and I don’t like the fact we run with a bunch of projects. Kizer didn’t work out and guys like Callahan or Boyle don’t excite me.
Personally, yeah, Id have selected at QB in 2021-2022 but it’s not like it wasn’t a considered GB picking at QB. I’m close to accepting the idea that if Rodgers either 1. Gets significantly injured Again
2. Causes some internal turmoil 3. Regresses in production again. That GB get out from under his contract in 2022 with a trade and use that extra $ and draft selections towards building up the team around his successor.
Hopefully none of that happens. I hope Rodgers gets better, acts civilly and stays healthy and Wins a SB! I’m all for that., but I’m not pretending he doesn’t concern me a little bit. Maybe this is his push? This could backfire or either light a fire under his *****.

Taryn Miller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Dillon pick necessarily means that Jones will not be resigned, but it is possible. The current trend in the NFL says don't pay big money for a RB, go with a cheap one.

Many of the "defend Rodgers at all costs" guys will disagree that he hesitates to throw to certain receivers. But if the front office thinks he does, it helps explain the Jordan Love pick. Since he's a MLF guy, he would probablyfully embrace his system.

Just to toss a thought out there, but is it possible that MLF was hired as the means to help Gute get out from the contract extension of Rodgers in 18' especially since it wasn't a necessary thing to do at that time. The moment MLF was hired the story was about the conflict in offensive scheme. Now in the second year, it appears as though they went out of their way to not draft anyone that reads as help for Rodgers.

Reaction score
As far as Dillon. If they can get the most out of him he’s going to be fun to watch. What a great change of pace at RB from AJ to Dillon. We’ve got our Lacy and Starks and maybe better. That’s a big deal in cold weather games where you want to control the chains.

Deguara I’m not as excited about. But who knows?
I just don’t see a TE in his 1st season flourishing. I’d rather we found a trade partner etc.. at TE.
I probably would’ve been hunting down the best LB or DT round 3. I will say these draft picks are a very athletically gifted group as a whole.

I’m not convinced we’re better at DT or LB. We signed Hester and should see more of Gary, which could prove as slight improvement? Some questions unresolved at LB.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Rodgers gets better, acts civilly and stays healthy and Wins a SB! I’m all for that., but I’m not pretending he doesn’t concern me a little bit. Maybe this is his push? This could backfire or either light a fire under his *****.
I used to be confident that if Rodgers had a chip on his shoulder, the rest of the league had better look out, because he's going to tear it up. But unfortunately, I feel like those days are gone. He's had reasons in the past few years to get a chip on his shoulder, but his vengeance wasn't that frightening. His play did improve last year, which was to be expected, because he was healthy for the first time in awhile.

As for his supposed prickliness, if he offends somebody I don't really care (although MLF might feel differently). But he doesn't appear to be the type of leader who emotionally inspires his teammates in a big way. That's my main concern about his alleged personality issues.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for his supposed prickliness, if he offends somebody I don't really care (although MLF might feel differently). But he doesn't appear to be the type of leader who emotionally inspires his teammates in a big way. That's my main concern about his alleged personality issues.

I feel this is just a bunch of ******** the media creates. So two teammates ever (Jennings and Finley) don't speak highly of him as a leader, so let's just let them two speak for every teammate he has ever had. He is a guy that takes pride in being authentic, he isn't going to go full robot politician mode in press conferences (Wilson, Brees, Brady). Everyone has different tastes, I get he's not for everyone but the large amount of body language police/the people questioning his leadership need to **** (not to say you necessarily are).

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't help but wonder whether any WR on the team or had been taken in the draft will/would be able to sway Rodgers from having an eye for Adams. Adams had 127 targets while missing 4 games and the second most targets was MVS at 56 and Allison at 55 coming in third. How many more targets would Adams have taken from the other two had he not missed 4 games?

It's not surprising that Rodgers targets Adams a lot because he's an elite wide receiver. I agree the Packers lack talent at the position aside of him though.

Just to toss a thought out there, but is it possible that MLF was hired as the means to help Gute get out from the contract extension of Rodgers in 18' especially since it wasn't a necessary thing to do at that time. The moment MLF was hired the story was about the conflict in offensive scheme. Now in the second year, it appears as though they went out of their way to not draft anyone that reads as help for Rodgers.

As I've mentioned in other threats Gutekunst either made a mistake by extending Rodgers with two years left or hiring a head coach not wanting to tailor his offense around the quarterback's strengths.

The team restructuring Rodgers' deal at the end of last season to add even more dead money down the road is perplexing considering the circumstances.

Toad1924

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder whether any WR on the team or had been taken in the draft will/would be able to sway Rodgers from having an eye for Adams. Adams had 127 targets while missing 4 games and the second most targets was MVS at 56 and Allison at 55 coming in third.

I think it is hard to draw conclusions from last years target numbers. Basically no WR held their spot in their spot in the rotation throughout the season. MVS and Allison both lost a significant amount of playing time late in the season and Lazard didn't start playing until midway through the season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder whether any WR on the team or had been taken in the draft will/would be able to sway Rodgers from having an eye for Adams. Adams had 127 targets while missing 4 games and the second most targets was MVS at 56 and Allison at 55 coming in third. How many more targets would Adams have taken from the other two had he not missed 4 games? This doesn't exude much confidence in the WR group as spoken to by the top 3 in GB, whose words are taken as near to Gospel as possible, by many. I thought GB would select a WR in the first three rounds and feel they missed out. The production that will be needed in the run game will be twice as much, if no WR can become a valuable speck in Rodgers eyes to erase that which consumes his eyes now with Adams. This would be a huge addition by subtraction and take the pressure off the expectations of the new run offense going forward, that which Gute and MLF placed on it.

I guess things would look smoother in trying to balance the offense as a whole, if you were able to have some balance in an offensive group first. The drop off in the WR group is quite substantial, the RB seems less an issue, while the TE group is close to a cluster fu%k with much of the groups' success being bet on Sternberger not being a sh&t burger, as has been the diet in recent years.

Whether this draft by GB is a legit bottom five as this ESPN article claims, we'll find out and the three-year waiting period is waived here, because they drafted not to improve this team now, and declared that they have enough. I hope it doesn't mean 'had enough' by the last SF beating.
Welcome to the forum. Well written and interesting thoughts.

I would just point out that Rodgers best games last season were when Adams was out and he was forced to go to other receivers. As far as his leadership goes, I think that has decreased. He doesn't behave the same as he used too. He used to be more confident and encouraging. I see him now glaring at the sidelines and less positive body language. He isn't Cutler out there, but he sure isn't AR of 7 years ago.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would just point out that Rodgers best games last season were when Adams was out and he was forced to go to other receivers. As far as his leadership goes, I think that has decreased. He doesn't behave the same as he used too. He used to be more confident and encouraging. I see him now glaring at the sidelines and less positive body language. He isn't Cutler out there, but he sure isn't AR of 7 years ago.

I truly think some of his frustration is he was working with a number of guys that have immense promise all at once. Having one or maybe two guys like this is one thing, but to have that description fit EVERY guy not named Adams would be frustrating.

This is where I think this season should and will be different. Each guy is another year maturer, experienced in the MLF system and with Rodgers. Factor in a veteran guy like Funchess and even Lewis at TE...stability and expectations are much more established than last year. Shoot even now, Lazard isn't as unknown to Rodgers as he was in 2019 and still saw some success.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would just point out that Rodgers best games last season were when Adams was out and he was forced to go to other receivers.

The Packers facing the 20th (Dallas), 27th (Detroit) and 31st (Oakland) ranked pass defenses over the four games Adams missed definitely contributed to Rodgers performing at a higher level.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is where I think this season should and will be different. Each guy is another year maturer, experienced in the MLF system and with Rodgers. Factor in a veteran guy like Funchess and even Lewis at TE...stability and expectations are much more established than last year. Shoot even now, Lazard isn't as unknown to Rodgers as he was in 2019 and still saw some success.

A lot of Packers fans were way too optimistic about the reeiving corps entering last season as well. Gutekunst didn't do enough to improve the position this offseason to feel comfortable about the group in my opinion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of Packers fans were way too optimistic about the reeiving corps entering last season as well. Gutekunst didn't do enough to improve the position this offseason to feel comfortable about the group in my opinion.

Last year I think many (myself raising their hand) felt there was NO WAY every single WR would move laterally or arguably regress. It just rarely, if ever, plays out that way. This year it is clear Gute won't do that again and instead of bringing in mid/late rounders or no one like last year he brings in Funchess, and a CFL experienced guy. I 100% get folks not feeling like he did enough, but we have done vastly more to that room this year than last year with those two signings and hopefully a healthy ESB and Jace as well to toss in TEs.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel this is just a bunch of ******** the media creates. So two teammates ever (Jennings and Finley) don't speak highly of him as a leader, so let's just let them two speak for every teammate he has ever had. He is a guy that takes pride in being authentic, he isn't going to go full robot politician mode in press conferences (Wilson, Brees, Brady). Everyone has different tastes, I get he's not for everyone but the large amount of body language police/the people questioning his leadership need to **** (not to say you necessarily are).

I'll consider what Charles Woodson says about Rodgers more seriously than Jennings and Finley spout all day long.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year I think many (myself raising their hand) felt there was NO WAY every single WR would move laterally or arguably regress. It just rarely, if ever, plays out that way. This year it is clear Gute won't do that again and instead of bringing in mid/late rounders or no one like last year he brings in Funchess, and a CFL experienced guy. I 100% get folks not feeling like he did enough, but we have done vastly more to that room this year than last year with those two signings and hopefully a healthy ESB and Jace as well to toss in TEs.

We might be underestimating what Reggie Begelton could bring to this team this year. Yes, he'll be facing better DBs than he did in the CFL but he was productive when he played in Calagary.

https://www.cfl.ca/players/reggie-begelton/162999/

D

Deleted member 6794

Last year I think many (myself raising their hand) felt there was NO WAY every single WR would move laterally or arguably regress. It just rarely, if ever, plays out that way. This year it is clear Gute won't do that again and instead of bringing in mid/late rounders or no one like last year he brings in Funchess, and a CFL experienced guy.

Taking a look at last year's depth chart at wide receiver entering the season it wasn't that surprising that the position group struggled though. Aside of Adams there wasn't a single one drafted before the fifth round.

It's true that Funchess might improve the unit but Begelton is a long shot to even make the team. Overall Gutekunst definitely didn't do enough to upgrade the position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking a look at last year's depth chart at wide receiver entering the season it wasn't that surprising that the position group struggled though. Aside of Adams there wasn't a single one drafted before the fifth round.

It's true that Funchess might improve the unit but Begelton is a long shot to even make the team. Overall Gutekunst definitely didn't do enough to upgrade the position.

I will never judge the capabilities of any position based on where they were drafted. It is purely an indication of expectations, but far from a guarantee.

Again, you are stating that as a fact, which it is in no way the case. In your opinion he didn't do enough.

I've said time and time again at #62 I had one MAYBE two guys at WR it would have been worth it on...after that it makes sense why we didn't grab one. I wanted more of an upgrade, but I also will not ignorantly say we haven't upgraded the position either as it simply is not the case.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We might be underestimating what Reggie Begelton could bring to this team this year. Yes, he'll be facing better DBs than he did in the CFL but he was productive when he played in Calagary.

https://www.cfl.ca/players/reggie-begelton/162999/

Believe me I'm the one that started a Reggie thread, shared some highlights and measurables. The dude has chops....it is all coming down to how well it translates to the NFL. He is FAR from a guarantee. I do follow Reggie on social media and it is hard not to like the guy....I hope for his sake and the team's sake he can earn a spot and maybe surprise some folks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will never judge the capabilities of any position based on where they were drafted. It is purely an indication of expectations, but far from a guarantee.

Last season should work as a cautionary tale on what to expect out of the current receiving corps.

While draft position doesn't matter once players make it to the NFL none of the wide receivers aside of Lazard performed at a higher level than expectations entering the league.

I wanted more of an upgrade, but I also will not ignorantly say we haven't upgraded the position either as it simply is not the case.

True, you're ignorantly declaring that Gutekunst has upgraded the wide receiver position while everybody covering the league thinks otherwise.

Taryn Miller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thank you for the welcome.

Though Rodgers best came when he had less, Adams, it appears that taking advantage of teams with bad pass defenses is a need to make the others look decent, which doesn't make speaking well of the group easier.

As to Rodgers, aging creates insecurity and the premise by anyone that he is still Rodgers of his youth or slightly diminished, suffers from 'seeing what I want to see only' syndrome. Rodgers is lengths ahead of many QB's in the NFL, but his Secretariat lead has been erased and others have caught up, and even some nags find hope in the field.

Members online

Latest posts