Eric Striker - Oklahoma

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HardRightEdge, what do you see on this guys tape? I'm secretly hoping we draft him somewhere in the middle/late rounds. He seems to line up every where and makes plays.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno. He's really small. Not sure where he could line up for us or if he is capable of covering downfield at all. And he made zero football moves in any of the video I saw. Every rush he just ran straight ahead or around the end, would be nice to see him display some sort of pass-rushing skillset besides straight line burst. But I'm no scout, that's just what jumped out to me.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like best about his tape, technique aside, is that every single play hes at the same speed. He doesn't seem to take plays off and seems like an excellent pursuit LB.

I think hes another one of those guys who probably plays faster than his 40 time.

D

Deleted member 6794

What I like best about his tape, technique aside, is that every single play hes at the same speed. He doesn't seem to take plays off and seems like an excellent pursuit LB.

I think hes another one of those guys who probably plays faster than his 40 time.

What position would you like Striker to play in the NFL??? He's too small to be an edge rusher at the pro level but doesn't play the run well enough to line up inside. I really don't see a fit for him.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll probably start off playing a lot of ST early on in his career. But I bet some DC will think of clever ways to use him. This guy will be drafted by someone. Hes not a UDFA waiting to happen.

Maybe a box Safety type for those teams that run those tweener 3-3-5 type defenses?

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

What position would you like Striker to play in the NFL??? He's too small to be an edge rusher at the pro level but doesn't play the run well enough to line up inside. I really don't see a fit for him.
That was my impression. His best plays are off the edge. He shows good burst, and some decent dip and hand work. But he's way too small to play OLB in 3-4.

In considering him as one of those ILB tweeners, beside the question of stoutness against the run, there's the 4.8 time in the 40. This is a problem with a lot of these small-stature college LBs, even those who actually played regularly inside. They can look faster than they are. The college game is about defending the spread/option so they use guys who are quick-twitch with 20 yd. sideline-to-sideline speed, but put them on the track and their speed hits the wall after 20 yards.

Further, some college ILBs are playing in 4-3 and are not asked to do much in coverage, what I call 180 degree players. Other than dropping in short zone, they play what's in front of them. You never see them flip and run. You just don't know how versatile they'd be in the passing game, and if they don't have speed to work with there are serious question marks.

In the 3-4, if you're going with one of these smaller guys at nickel and/or dime ILB, you want him to be able to run with TEs and RBs to compensate for lack of stoutness in the run game, a meaningful compromise in the 3-4 where ILBs are counted on to clean up the run.

Consider McCarthy's telling comments regarding his own offense attacking the middle of the field. The rule changes gradually layered in year after year make attacking the middle of the field a priority. The same thinking would apply on the flip side in defending those plays. The old school, big hitting ILB or strong safety intimidating in the pass game is being made obsolete. The NFL wants to put an end to players like Burfict.

If you can't defend the middle with intimidation, you need speed and coverage skills instead. If you look at the hybrid guys playing in the NFL, they're by-in-large SSs. They can sting some in the run game, and have the speed to cover TEs, slots and RBs. They're basically box safeties with some coverage skills.

One alternative is the 4-3 OLB conversion. They've often been asked to cover in college. They're asked to defend the edge, which suggests some stoutness that might transition inside.

I think if you're going to look at one of these small college LBs to play in the middle to defend the pass, you should start with 4.6 speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Striker is from Oklahoma, HRE :) and in the Big 12. They play against the spread every week.

H

HardRightEdge

Striker is from Oklahoma, HRE :) and in the Big 12. They play against the spread every week.
I'm not sure if you're addressing my usage of the term "small college LB" in referencing Striker. "Small" is a reference to the player's stature, not the conference, just to be clear. I've edited that for clarity.

As for playing against the spread every week, that would be precisely my point.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, woops. I totally misread what you said! Sorry.

D

Deleted member 6794

He'll probably start off playing a lot of ST early on in his career. But I bet some DC will think of clever ways to use him. This guy will be drafted by someone. Hes not a UDFA waiting to happen.

Maybe a box Safety type for those teams that run those tweener 3-3-5 type defenses?

I agree some team will draft Striker. For the reasons HRE posted above I hope it won't be the Packers.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts