DT Corey Simon now a free agent

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would help alot if the Packers could sign him,but I guess he would be to expensive for the team at this time... :tantrum: :cross: :pray: :kickcan:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think he would if Simon did well in a tryout. I don't know the guy well does he have any health issues or off the field problems?

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how TT can't at least give the guy a serious look. It will probably turn into a huge bidding war that we won't win, but what better of a message to send to the 2 fata$$es who haven't participated in camp?
I'd be on Simon like a fly on rice. :wink:

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I think he'd be a huge upgrade over whoever lines up next to Grady. Of course, Grady doesn't find his way onto the field as much as we'd like, but Simon in the middle would be a big help.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Well, I think he'd be a huge upgrade over whoever lines up next to Grady. Of course, Grady doesn't find his way onto the field as much as we'd like, but Simon in the middle would be a big help.

With Simon the defense instantly becomes credible. We'd instantly have depth because we can't count on Jackson making it throught the season on those bad knees and it also means Hunt would be on the bench or better yet cut.
This is a no-brainer to me.

The only thing I worry about is Simon's injury issues. The Eagles must know more than everyone else, ya think?

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I have heard,he hasn't been any trouble on the eagles. Andy Reid said only good things about him. He can't be that old if they drafted him in 2000. He would be a great help if we could get him. If we did sign him it would remind me of when we got REGGIE back in the 90's. :kickcan:

Shirobot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an Eagles fan, the problem with Corey is that he's lazy. I'd be surprised if he does any training during the offseason. Year after year he'd show up into camp overweight and out of shape. His first half of the season would be dismal (not really even worthy of a starting spot, really... at least not on the Eagles), and then he'd light it up in the last few games. In the first 10 games of last season, he had 18 tackles and .5 sacks. In his last four games (he didn't really play in Washington or against Cinci), he had 14 tackles and 5 sacks. At the top of his game, his explosiveness is deadly for the quarterback, but his skills and discipline are limited in stopping the run. At the bottom of his game, he's barely out there. If he got his act together, he'd probably be the best (or at least one of the best) pass rushing DTs in the game, and very good overall. Unfortunately, with 4 years of laziness after a great rookie season, it's unlikely he ever will. He also overvalues himself quite a bit. He turned down what was reportedly a huge contract in Baltimore. He could help in Green Bay, but in my opinion it isn't worth it unless you can get him way cheaper than what he seems to want right now. He will not really be missed in Philadelphia.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shirobot said:
As an Eagles fan, the problem with Corey is that he's lazy. I'd be surprised if he does any training during the offseason. Year after year he'd show up into camp overweight and out of shape. His first half of the season would be dismal (not really even worthy of a starting spot, really... at least not on the Eagles), and then he'd light it up in the last few games. In the first 10 games of last season, he had 18 tackles and .5 sacks. In his last four games (he didn't really play in Washington or against Cinci), he had 14 tackles and 5 sacks. At the top of his game, his explosiveness is deadly for the quarterback, but his skills and discipline are limited in stopping the run. At the bottom of his game, he's barely out there. If he got his act together, he'd probably be the best (or at least one of the best) pass rushing DTs in the game, and very good overall. Unfortunately, with 4 years of laziness after a great rookie season, it's unlikely he ever will. He also overvalues himself quite a bit. He turned down what was reportedly a huge contract in Baltimore. He could help in Green Bay, but in my opinion it isn't worth it unless you can get him way cheaper than what he seems to want right now. He will not really be missed in Philadelphia.

He sounds like a Cletidus Hunt clone. :roll:
Maybe a change of pace is best for him, but as I said earlier he'd help this defense instantly. Its just we'll get outbid very quickly.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that before the draft, the Eagles had a trade worked out sending Corey Simon to Baltimore for second- and third-round selections, but Simon wouldn't accept a $12 million signing bonus from the Ravens.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
It would be cool to get him, but I don't think TT would pay the money it takes to get him.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeN ... p?id=33818

I can't believe that you are worried that he may cost some money. If you are as close to the Super Bowl as you claim then you get this guy right now because he is a hell of a lot better than what you have.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil,

Apparently there was some trade w/ the Ravens where he would have received 12 mil in sign bonus, avg. 5 mil/yr solely based off his contract, and he turned that down. Yeah, he'd certainly help the Pack, but I'm not sure that a quick fix is what the packers need...they need depth.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
ArizonaPackerFan said:
It would be cool to get him, but I don't think TT would pay the money it takes to get him.

I can't believe that you are worried that he may cost some money. If you are as close to the Super Bowl as you claim then you get this guy right now because he is a hell of a lot better than what you have.

Last year Simon had 32 tackles, and 5.5 sacks.

Last year Hunt had 32 tackles, and 2 sacks.

Simon is better than what we have, but that doesn't seem like a hell of a lot better to justify the kind of money Simon wants.

I would like Simon, but I don't want to overpay for Simon the way the Bears overpaid for John Tait last year.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
Phil,

Apparently there was some trade w/ the Ravens where he would have received 12 mil in sign bonus, avg. 5 mil/yr solely based off his contract, and he turned that down. Yeah, he'd certainly help the Pack, but I'm not sure that a quick fix is what the packers need...they need depth.

I did not know about that. You are right about them needing depth more than a quick fix. I stand corrected.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Philtration said:
ArizonaPackerFan said:

Last year Simon had 32 tackles, and 5.5 sacks.

Last year Hunt had 32 tackles, and 2 sacks.

Simon is better than what we have, but that doesn't seem like a hell of a lot better to justify the kind of money Simon wants.

I would like Simon, but I don't want to overpay for Simon the way the Bears overpaid for John Tait last year.
You are right. Sometimes desperation will make you over pay for a guy just like they did with Tait.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF we should make a run at Simon and sign him, whose spot does he take? I say Grady's. For good or bad (more likely bad), Hunt is here this year with his cap implications.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lemme ask you - Would you turn down 12million dollars? DOH!
That explains his intentions right there..... He knew he would be cut anyways.
And yet, he still turned down the brass ring.. Is Drew Rosenhaus his Agent?

I would NOT bring this guy in.. especially with seeing how the first half of the season would be an instant waste. Time to look elsewhere, if we really have to.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, so I wasn't quite right about Simon...from ESPN...

Philadelphia nearly traded Simon to the Baltimore Ravens earlier in the spring. In fact, the two teams had agreed on compensation, believed to have been second- and third-round picks in the 2005 draft, but Simon could not reach agreement with the Ravens on a long-term contract and the discussions fell apart.

and from profootballtalk.com:

The Eagles had multiple opportunities to trade Simon from under the tag, but Simon's agents, Eugene Parker and Roosevelt Barnes, wanted at least $16 million to sign and a contract averaging $6 million per year. The teams interested in Simon were willing to pay something in the neighborhood of Shaun Rogers/Marcus Stroud money (i.e., roughly $12 million in guaranteed money and an average of $5 million per).

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should bring in all and any DT available. See who fits our system and has the right attitude. Whether its Simon or the Russell guy with the drug problem past...people can change. Work them out and see where they are. At the very least we should be sending the message to the "men in the Tub" to get out and play or just get out. How can you walk and work on that hallowed ground and not want to compete with your all? I just don't get it. Go Pack!

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Below is from Chris Havel's Packer chat today on the subject:

Dave Schubert, Orlando, FL.: What's your opinion of Corey Simon? Do you think he would even consider playing in Green Bay? Is Simon even the type of DT that Bates would like in his system?

ch: Corey Simon is a Pro Bowl defensive tackle that would immediately start and upgrade the Packers' defense. However, and here's the catch, Simon isn't worth the $12 million plus that he wants in a signing bonus. He turned down that much with the Baltimore Ravens, according to reports, and I can't see the Packers paying $13 million in a signing bonus to a player whose value doesn't merit that money. He isn't the second coming of Reggie White. Now, from what I understand the Packers are talking to Simon's representative, and if the money is right they'd be interested, but GM Ted Thompson isn't so enthralled with Simon that he's going to fork over such huge money. At least that's the impression I get, and let's be honest, there is a reason Andy Reid and Joe Banner and the Eagles aren't willing to pay Simon the Monopoly money. The Packers believe he is a very, very good player but few are worth $13 million in a bonus.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's an excellent assessment by Havel...I'm happy to hear that TT is at least considering the options...He was a little too timid this offseason (I understand his hands were tied to a large degree) and you can see how that's hurting the Pack when they count on journeymen like O'Dweyer to fill the holes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts