Drops this year

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR hasn't had his best year but he really hasn't been helped by drops this year at all

So have they increased this year or is it just me?

There were 3 fairly big ones
The Jones drop on the design leak out that the MNF crew pointed out
The Lazard drop on the 20 yarder that was initially a catch
The Adams drop on the touchdown, although the ball was thrown behind him

Not trying to be negative, but there seems to be a LOT of drops this year and that could also be a reason why ARs stats aren't looking so good

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How many can be laid on Rodgers?

You said yourself that one last night was thrown behind.

Or Do official stats take that into consideration?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn't list the source, but on the Vikings radio network last night (KFAN) they said that while historically Adams rarely drops passes, over the past 5-6 weeks he's had ten drops. This season I'll chalk it up to new routes and brains not working on cruise control, but next season it will be a trend worth dissecting. It surely hasn't helped us so far.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It goes both ways. Rodgers isn't perfect but some passes are layed right in there and then the drop. Receivers should pick Rodgers up once in a while. Devante should have had the one in the endzone if he wants to be elite.

Outside of Devante, our receiving corps are below average. The tightends are pathetic as receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

AR hasn't had his best year but he really hasn't been helped by drops this year at all

So have they increased this year or is it just me?

Not trying to be negative, but there seems to be a LOT of drops this year and that could also be a reason why ARs stats aren't looking so good

According to PFR the Packers had a total of 21 drops this season entering the Vikings game. They had 31 in 2018.

Adams' number was up from five in 2018 to seven this season though.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what I would say. The drops seem about normal. A drop is really just counted whe. The catch is pretty simple. What the receivers haven't done almost at all is make contested catches or catch pass that are a little off. The "drops" against the Vikings for the most part won't be counted as drops but there are balls the wrs could have definitely come down with. Not really good throws but passes NFL pass catchers could easily catch.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to PFR the Packers had a total of 21 drops this season entering the Vikings game. They had 31 in 2018.

A lot seems to depend on how the drop affects the drive and the score. Do we hit one on the next play and forget it? Or does it kill a drive? I recall James Jones making some of the most crucial drops with us. Yet at the same time he made some spectacular nearly impossible catches that stand out. 21 is better than 31. But what is our total pass attempts vs. Last year at this time?

D

Deleted member 6794

A lot seems to depend on how the drop affects the drive and the score. Do we hit one on the next play and forget it? Or does it kill a drive? I recall James Jones making some of the most crucial drops with us. Yet at the same time he made some spectacular nearly impossible catches that stand out. 21 is better than 31. But what is our total pass attempts vs. Last year at this time?

PFR charged the Packers receivers with only a single drop vs. the Vikings, a number I definitely don't agree with.

Therefore I would take their overall number with a grain of salt.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFR charged the Packers receivers with only a single drop vs. the Vikings, a number I definitely don't agree with.

See that is the thing. They only count drops when the pass is almost perfect. There were 4 or 5 passes wide receivers should have come down with even though the pass wasn't perfect. Adams in the end zone, Jones early, Lazard's one that got overturned just off the top of my head. I get why those all might not be called drops but st the same time they are balls that should be caught

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
While we do need our receivers to make contested catches and difficult catches when balls aren't delivered absolutely perfect, Rodgers also needs to be more accurate on those throws. Goes both ways.

Rodgers is just as much to blame for the Davante play as Davante is. Actually, probably more. Yes, the receiver needs to come down with it, but if Rodgers puts the ball where it needs to be, it's a touchdown.

The throw to Jones in the flat is another good example. Jones had to stop and high point the ball above his head. A very catchable ball, but also not the best ball placement either.

These two are pitch and catch situations. Rodgers has to be better on those throws. Honestly, inexcusable for a player his caliber. But it would also be helpful for a receiver to catch a ball in which both hands touch it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While we do need our receivers to make contested catches and difficult catches when balls aren't delivered absolutely perfect, Rodgers also needs to be more accurate on those throws. Goes both ways.

Rodgers is just as much to blame for the Davante play as Davante is. Actually, probably more. Yes, the receiver needs to come down with it, but if Rodgers puts the ball where it needs to be, it's a touchdown.

The throw to Jones in the flat is another good example. Jones had to stop and high point the ball above his head. A very catchable ball, but also not the best ball placement either.

These two are pitch and catch situations. Rodgers has to be better on those throws. Honestly, inexcusable for a player his caliber. But it would also be helpful for a receiver to catch a ball in which both hands touch it.
it does go both ways and both of those guys have dropped perfectly delivered balls this season too. Always a 2 way street and they need to help each other out when 1 end of the equation isn't perfect. That's how good teams become great.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Were they thinking about that toss to Jones because the pass made him have to turn around while going forward? I know Lazar should have held on to that one. And Kumerow got hit by 2 players as he tried to catch a 3rd and 18 throw.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I dont think anyone is arguing with that at all. Both are to blame. My main issue is that our pass catchers have not made a lot of catches on bad balls. From just an eye test it has felt like we have really struggled to pull down contested passes and passes that are off the mark. Those types of throws will happen and we need to do a better job there. Rodgers also needs to do a better job delivering the ball

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think anyone is arguing with that at all. Both are to blame. My main issue is that our pass catchers have not made a lot of catches on bad balls. From just an eye test it has felt like we have really struggled to pull down contested passes and passes that are off the mark. Those types of throws will happen and we need to do a better job there. Rodgers also needs to do a better job delivering the ball
Agreed 100%

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There are some that are only harping on it being Rodgers fault, and some that are only harping that it is the receivers fault. As per the usual, it's a combination of both.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I would say this is about the closest thing to the truth that I have read or at least how I feel. :D Rogers isn't going anywhere and his output may improve a bit more as he becomes fully enmeshed in MLF's offense or he slowly declines a bit with age. But he is this teams QB for at least 3 more years, unless something really odd happens.

On the other side of things, it's very apparent to most that the tools that he has to work with on offense have declined over the last 3-4 years. So all of these "bad throws, bad catches, unable to catch contested, etc" are a byproduct of the lack of talent that we have outside of Davante. I'm not saying that its fully the issue, but a big part of it IMO.

This off season, I fully expect Gute to go after a TE and a WR that by Week 1 will be in the starting lineup.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say this is about the closest thing to the truth that I have read or at least how I feel. :D Rogers isn't going anywhere and his output may improve a bit more as he becomes fully enmeshed in MLF's offense or he slowly declines a bit with age. But he is this teams QB for at least 3 more years, unless something really odd happens.

On the other side of things, it's very apparent to most that the tools that he has to work with on offense have declined over the last 3-4 years. So all of these "bad throws, bad catches, unable to catch contested, etc" are a byproduct of the lack of talent that we have outside of Davante. I'm not saying that its fully the issue, but a big part of it IMO.

This off season, I fully expect Gute to go after a TE and a WR that by Week 1 will be in the starting lineup.

There are a couple really solid TEs who could be free agents this year with Hunter Henry, Austin Hooper. Eric Ebron and Darren Fells could be interesting as well. Tyler Eifert quietly put together a nice year and could be a nice addition.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with everything you said. I would add that if there is a throw that Rodgers seems to have the most trouble with... it’s the quick pitch and catch type throws... Those should be easier throws... but for whatever reason ... it seems as though Rodgers doesn’t execute them as well as he could.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
should have caught and could have caught are different measures and it seems PFF goes with should have caught. i agree with that. just because a wr got his hands on a ball doesn't mean he reasonably should have caught it.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are a couple really solid TEs who could be free agents this year with Hunter Henry, Austin Hooper. Eric Ebron and Darren Fells could be interesting as well. Tyler Eifert quietly put together a nice year and could be a nice addition.

Eifert has seven more catches than Graham this season with both being on par in yards and touchdowns. He wouldn't present a much needed upgrade at the position.

should have caught and could have caught are different measures and it seems PFF goes with should have caught. i agree with that. just because a wr got his hands on a ball doesn't mean he reasonably should have caught it.

I took the numbers from Pro Football Reference (PFR).

Of course we all know that every pass not being completed is Rodgers' fault.

Members online

Latest posts