Draft Trade - Kenny Clark?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't follow draft talk too close, because to me it's just high school gossip. Every once in a while though a headline will catch my attention. In the article below, the author advocates for the Packers to trade Kenny Clark to the Cowboys for a 2nd round pick this year, and their 1st and 4th in next year's draft. While I would hate to lose Kenny, he is getting close to hitting the downward slope of his career and has a contract year coming up. I would do this deal in a heartbeat, but I doubt that the Cowboys are that desperate.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s a tough call. Clark has been reliable but I would do it Dallas wouldn’t tho

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a normal year with not too many holes to fill, it may be a good time to trade Kenny. But we are thinking Super Bowl and we need him for that. imho

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's how Jerry Jones is supposed to think. I'd like to believe that we are Super Bowl capable in 2024, but my brain says not to pass up a good deal when in all likelihood we will not win the SB.

BTW - in normal years we have too many holes to fill. This is a rare year when I actually think that we don't have too many holes to fill. Of course the regular season will show us how faulty our thinking was, in one way or another!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's how Jerry Jones is supposed to think. I'd like to believe that we are Super Bowl capable in 2024, but my brain says not to pass up a good deal when in all likelihood we will not win the SB.

BTW - in normal years we have too many holes to fill. This is a rare year when I actually think that we don't have too many holes to fill. Of course the regular season will show us how faulty our thinking was, in one way or another!
IMO this team has a bunch of holes, just not many as far as starters go. IMO they need 3 DBs, 3 OL, 2 ILB a RB and a partridge in a pear tree. If BPA at 25 is not an Edge/DE or a DT don't draft those positions at all until LB, S, OL & CB are fortified. IMO.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point about losing Clark in free agency after next season has merit, though. I'll certainly say that much. Plus, Clark just finished his 8th season; statistically, D-linemen start dropping off steeply at Year 7, flatten out a bit in Year 8, and then drop sharply in Years 9 and 10. Many of the good ones can play longer (even much longer) but the clock is ticking, and he is getting up there. He's stil playing damned good ball right now, though.

He'll turn 29 this season, and he'll probably still be a good player for several more years, but will he be worth the price to us as some of these younger players come due in a relatively short span of time? All questions worth considering.

I'm not excited about trading him to a team we may very well have to beat in the playoffs, though.

Edit: just looked up his contract. His cap hit this year is $27.5M, and of that $27.5, $24.3 is dead cap. Wow.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something to think about. Kenny Clark has been around for 8 years. Yes, he's in his prime, at 28, but there's a huge question mark out there that nobody seems to recognize. He's ranked 20th at his position in the NFL, and his performance rating has been dropping every year. That doesn't tell me it's time to put huge money into a contract. In fact, Clark's contract is 12th highest in the league for the position, which essentially means he's really being overpaid for his ranking.

The talk about giving him a big contract to keep him because someone else got one doesn't wash. Draft someone who can be groomed to fill his role. With the change to the 4-3, we're going to need more bodies anyhow, so that's a given. Time to build up that front 4, and make a run as a top team on defense. Use the cap money wisely.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and with Kenny, it's the mileage not the model year. He has played A TON of snaps for Green Bay and was a very young rookie.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!