Draft Economics Ted Style

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do the Packers have enough draft picks? No. At least not quality picks.

Last year Ted needed players. Now that there is some depth the Packers need high quality players. I think Ted will do something unexpected. Well, maybe not unexpected, with the draft.

Assume Williams, Bush, Ferguson, Lienart, are gone before the Packers first choice.

The best player on the board is Hawk and he fills a high need. However there are other good LB's in this draft and the Packers need more quality picks. So they trade down. Likely with AZ who has a high pick but after the great impact players are gone.
Add AZ's second round pick.

What is available at #10 in the first round? Probably the second best of everything except WR. Do you pick WR or trade down again? This is too early for the best receiver. Teams want the second best OT, DT, maybe RB or QB. Teams likely to move up are Denver at #15 or Dallas at #18.
I think a second trade down occurs. Assume it is the Cowboys and the Packers get another second round pick.

What is available at #18?
Chad Greenway 6' 2.5" 242 4.72 speed. Not as fast as Hawk but # 5 overall is too valuable for just one player. Starter as rookie Taylor and Thomas battle for other spot.
If not or they trade lower take Carpenter.
The get a very good linebacker instead of Hawk plus 2 second round picks.

So what have the Packers obtained by not taking one player at #5?
3 high quality players instead of one big star.

They could trade down one of the 2nd round picks and add another 3rd rounder.

6 good first day picks would really build the roster with quality players. I think 2 of the 4 second day picks could make the roster(like getting a FB and kicker with 5th round picks). I don't want to see Ted trade down into the 6th and 7th but good first day picks will be helpful.

Imagine 10 picks with 8 not only making the team but significant upgrades over current players. At least 2 will be starters.

The case can be made for trading down. I hope some team wants the #5 and the next pick where the Packers are.

The #5 pick is too valuable to spend it on just one player.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
The #5 pick is too valuable to spend it on just one player.

I disagree...I had tinkered with the thought of trading down pro's and con's and I'm against it--in free agency Ted has been adding a lot of quality players but no one who will be a true impact player...look at our defense...Kampman, Cole, Pickett, KGB, Ben Taylor, Nick Barnett, Harris, Manuel, Collins, (Free Agent Corner Plummer/Woodson)

...our defense is looking more and more like a solid unit but--our pass rush still isn't very good, and we've forced about five turnovers the last two seasons--either Mario Williams, a guy with a wingspan of about a mile, will give QB's fits and could cause some turnovers--same with AJ Hawk, who has had a knack for clutch INT's at OSU and who runs down ball carriers with wreckless abandon--I've heard him compared to Derrick Brooks--the #5 pick gives us an opportunity to draft a potential star player that will bring this defense to the next level, whether it be Mario Williams or AJ Hawk

We don't have to trade down from our first round pick to get extra picks, keep in mind we have high picks in every round--we can trade down our 2nd round pick and possibly squeeze out a 3rd, or something to that effect

Another way to get extra picks would be to trade Javon Walker--I'm sick of his antics--and if we can get a #2 or say a #3 and #5, get rid of him