Depth Chart Suprises

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I do not know about anyone else, but are you guys surprised a this:

1. Richard Rodgers over Jared Cook

2. Dean Lowry over Kenny Clark

3. Datone Jones 3rd string OLB, I thought he had a very promising preseason

4. Finally, the biggest one. Of course Lane Taylor at LG. I am hoping they bring Spriggs into the lineup, make some shifts and get Lane Taylor out. Is Lane Taylor our guy? I do not think Lane Taylor is our guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

The team's depth chart doesn't mean a whole lot once the game starts. There are already several other threads discussing the Packers decision to start Taylor at left guard.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton as the starting LG.....i didn't check it today but yesterday that had yet to update the depth chart!!! There are enough people working for the organization that maybe you should update that a little sooner.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

4. Finally, the biggest one. Of course Lane Taylor at LG. I am hoping they bring Spriggs into the lineup, make some shifts and get Lane Taylor out. Is Lane Taylor our guy? I do not think Lane Taylor is our guy.

I think these things are fairly fluid, and the depth chart is likely to look different as the season progresses. Lane Taylor's insertion into the Sitton's spot offers the least disruption to the starting o-line; since Spriggs likely projects as a tackle, starting him would require someone else moving to a different position as well (likely Bulaga to left guard). That may eventually happen anyway, but for now, Taylor gets his shot.

Starting Richard Rodgers over Jared Cook indicates to me that the first play from scrimmage is likely a hand-off to Eddie Lacy.......

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call any of these surprises, because as others said it's just a chart put on a website and not the guide used by coaches in the games. However:

1) Richard Rodgers is the incumbent with more team history, knowledge of the playbook, and chemistry with the QB. Cook will have to earn the starting role with his play, which many of us expect to happen. I'm with MM though. You don't anoint any new player the starter unless you are clearly bare in the cupboard (see ILB for the rare example).

2) Kenny Clark is nursing a sore back and he is also a pie faced rookie. Work your way into the starting lineup.

3) Datone is the closest to a surprise, but the guy can't erase several years of mediocre play with one decent preseason. If he has flipped the switch then it will show soon enough.

4) Horse, beaten to death. :poop:

D

Deleted member 6794

1) Richard Rodgers is the incumbent with more team history, knowledge of the playbook, and chemistry with the QB. Cook will have to earn the starting role with his play, which many of us expect to happen. I'm with MM though. You don't anoint any new player the starter unless you are clearly bare in the cupboard (see ILB for the rare example).

2) Kenny Clark is nursing a sore back and he is also a pie faced rookie. Work your way into the starting lineup.

I fully expect Cook to get significant playing time in week 1 even if Rodgers ends up being the starter.

The Packers for sure expected Clark to start in week 1 after spending a first round pick this April. Lowry behind ahead of him on the drpth chart is a surprise.

But as I've mentioned above it doesn't mean a lot though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I would think that Barclay would be the first guy brought in if someone gets injured or Taylor fails miserably early.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would think that Barclay would be the first guy brought in if someone gets injured or Taylor fails miserably early.

After the way Barclay played last season that thought doesn't instill any confidence in being able to protect Rodgers.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never put any stock into depth charts. Depth charts are always fluid. RR might start at TE all year long, but Cook might get more snaps this season overall.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
After the way Barclay played last season that thought doesn't instill any confidence in being able to protect Rodgers.
Lol, well I think if the staff felt he was still at that level, he wouldn't have made the 53 man roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol, well I think if the staff felt he was still at that level, he wouldn't have made the 53 man roster.

As I've mentioned repeatedly after releasing Sitton the Packers don't have a lot of depth at the interior of the offensive line and because of it Barclay was the lesser evil compared to other options. That doesn't mean he should be starting anytime soon.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As I've mentioned repeatedly after releasing Sitton the Packers don't have a lot of depth at the interior of the offensive line and because of it Barclay was the lesser evil compared to other options. That doesn't mean he should be starting anytime soon.
Well referring to Barclay as a lesser evil is an interesting way to describe a guy that pre- ACL tear was a very valuable guy to have on the roster because his presence actually allowed TT to gain an extra spot and go with 7 OL just a couple of years ago.

I think Barclay will be a much better player than he showed last year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Evaluating OLinemen is probably the most subjective choice there is, so I wouldn't argue about it. However, I think you could count on one hand the number of people that wouldn't be on the edge of their seats if he's in there, much less starting. Even pre-injury, I'd hazard that the most flattering anyone would have been is something like "can play anywhere in a pinch, just not really well". Your forecast is obviously completely subjective, and I'm sure we'd all love to see it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well referring to Barclay as a lesser evil is an interesting way to describe a guy that pre- ACL tear was a very valuable guy to have on the roster because his presence actually allowed TT to gain an extra spot and go with 7 OL just a couple of years ago.

I think Barclay will be a much better player than he showed last year.

Barclay was an average at best offensive lineman before tearing his ACL. Unfortunately he was terrible last year and I wouldn't feel comfortable at all with him ending up protecting Rodgers this season.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers for sure expected Clark to start in week 1 after spending a first round pick this April. Lowry behind ahead of him on the depth chart is a surprise.
Assuming his back is OK and doesn't flare up, Clark should get some snaps. With the heat it will likely be a necessity. Perhaps they put him behind Lowry to send a message. But it does not surprise me that he's not at the top of the depth chart. Nor does it surprise me he listed at DE, not NT. I can't express strongly enough how poorly he played in preseason, getting pushed around on every snap. And this guy was touted as having a good fundamental foundation.

As I said earlier, unless his back was bothering him from the get go and he didn't tell anyone, he's looking like a minimal contributor if not a liability.

I'll illustrate my concerns me by way of a comparison.

In his rookie preseason Pennel was a bit of a mess. He'd stand up at the snap (the infamous "pad level" issue). Consequently he'd not get off blocks or get any penetration. But the thing you could see was the strength and competitive attitude in that he wasn't getting pushed off the line either. Beginning in 2015 preseason game 1, a transformation process was evident in both technique and play awareness.

When I look at Clark, I'm not seeing any glaring technical flaws. He just gets pushed around. So it's one of three things or a combination of them: the back, a lack of competitiveness or a strength issue.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Clark turns into a good player for us. Hes only 20, so its yet to be seen. It seems to me that his issues are coachable. He just needs to learn better technique.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope Clark turns into a good player for us. Hes only 20, so its yet to be seen. It seems to me that his issues are coachable. He just needs to learn better technique.

I haven't watched Clark that closely in his limited playing time during the preseason but if HRE is right it doesn't seem the rookie's issues are easily coachable.

Members online

Latest posts