Defensive Duo Ready to 'Make Things Happen' for Packers

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to AOL Sports, Green Bay may have the best CB's this year (if Woodson stays healthy)...

Defensive Duo Ready to 'Make Things Happen' for Packers

GREEN BAY, Wis. (May 6) - The Packers' biggest free agent acquisition - cornerback Charles Woodson - had no time to explain how he'll complement Green Bay's already stout passing defense.

Green Bay instantly has one of the top cornerback duos in the league for a team already ranked first against the pass, if Woodson can stay healthy.

"You hear him, you already know what kind of player he is," Woodson said of Harris. "You've seen me over the years. Us two out there together, we should have a lot of fun, a lot of celebrating going on on our side of the ball."

Sounds like they already are.

The Packers, coming off their worst season in 15 years, finally have an impact free agent they've desperately needed, and Woodson has a fresh start.

"I think pretty much everybody was ready to come back and see where we're at," Harris said. "We've still got a lot of building, a lot of building to do."

For Woodson, gone are the failed expectations in Oakland, which won just 13 games the last three seasons. He hasn't played a full season since 2001 and broke his right leg Oct. 23 against Buffalo.

But the hype still remains for the four-time Pro Bowler who signed a seven-year, $52.7 million contract.

"That's not a problem," Woodson said. "I came in with a big contract. I came in after winning the Heisman Trophy, so pressure is something I've felt my whole life."

Woodson played eight years for the Raiders, intercepting 17 passes in 106 games, but Oakland declined to use their franchise tag on him in February, making him an unrestricted free agent.

"I felt a couple years ago that would be where I played my whole career," Woodson said. "It was definitely a strange feeling, but life goes on. Sometimes you've got to move on."

In his first Packers minicamp, which opened Friday, Woodson made an immediate splash.

Wearing a No. 2 jersey, his number at Michigan, he flashed in front of an errant pass intended for rookie Greg Jennings and made an interception despite falling.

Rules won't let Woodson wear the number in the NFL, but he says he's battling to keep it even though he's slated to wear No. 21.

That's apart from his familiar No. 24 with the Raiders, where he was one of the Raiders' most talented and popular players, although he battled injuries and clashed with management and coaches in his final years with the team.

He said he doesn't hold any grudges.

"I keep telling people I've got to be one of the luckiest people in the game to be able to play for a university like Michigan, play for Oakland and now with the Green Bay Packers," he said.

Even after not re-signing with Oakland, Woodson figured he would go to Tampa Bay, which courted him as well.

"I never in my life thought I'd be in Green Bay," he said. "Once we went through the process, I came here and I visited and that eased those reservations a little bit."

But he's not planning to be a vocal leader, which sometimes caused clashes in Oakland.

"If I have to say something, I have no problem with that," Woodson said. "Right now, I just want to come in, play my position and work hard and let everybody know that I'm here and that I mean business."

No matter if that business is returning punts, playing offense or moving to safety, he says, and at least early, there seems to be plenty of fun to go around by teaming with Harris.

"Sometimes they're going to throw it his way, sometimes they're going to throw it my way," Woodson said. "They're going to have to decide which way they want to go at. That's going to be fun for both of us."

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is good to see the excitement, and his play will elevate Harris and vice-versa. His signing also strengthened the nickle and dime packages by allowing # 2(Carroll) to slide to #3, 3(Hawkins) to 4 and so on.

Safety also looks on paper to be stronger than last year with Manuel over Roman and Collins a year under his belt.

The back end of the defense was weak with the exception of Harris and Collins last year, but could turn out to be a strength this year if everything works to plan.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes no doubt the Pack's Secondary is beginning to look like something to be reckon with. I also think the LB's will be strong this year with Hawk Barnett and Taylor with some good talent behind them in Manning,Poppinga, and Hodge

The real question is the DLine. Kabeer,Pickett,Kamp and ?

I am just hoping the the LB's will make up for KGB's liability against the run.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yes no doubt the Pack's Secondary is beginning to look like something to be reckon with. I also think the LB's will be strong this year with Hawk Barnett and Taylor with some good talent behind them in Manning,Poppinga, and Hodge

The real question is the DLine. Kabeer,Pickett,Kamp and ?

I am just hoping the the LB's will make up for KGB's liability against the run.

I just hope Mike Montgomery and Cullen Jenkins get more play in KGB's spot on running downs

our d-line is probably gonna be Kampman-Cole-Pickett and the right side d-end is up in the air, but prob KGB most of the time...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had high hopes for Jenkins but he has never shown any consistent ability. I definitely would rather see Jenkins outside as well.

I think our line come September will be

KGB,Pickett,Cole,Kamp or KGB,Pickett,Williams,Kamp

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Jenkins will play next to Pickett.

Jenkins never gets any love...

I think Jenkins is a very good player, but Cory Williams should be next to Pickett for running downs.

Jenkins is much more effective in the middle than the outside. It would be better to use Montgomery for passing downs in KGB's spot.

We've got a good rotation on the DL right now, with at least 8 guys that are effective in there. I don't have any worries about our DL. It will certainly help to improve the outside LBs to minimize KGB's weakness.

I'm still concerned about safety though. Manuel was an ok backup, but he couldn't beat out Roman in Cincy. Collins is solid, but not yet ready to be the field general we need back there. Other than Roman, who's unhappy with the team right now, we've got no depth. This is one area that I think we could really use a solid veteran player.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts