Deal/No deal for Raji?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it telling at all that with all the talk about Rodgers and Matthews, there is silence on a new deal for Raji?

In fact, they are talking to NT Steve McLendon from the Steelers about a possible contract. That's not telling in itself, but I'll be curious to see how much they go after D-linemen in the draft next week.

Said it before, and I still maintain this, I think they realize that paying Raji is going to mean dishing out 1st rate money for a 2nd rate player, and I think TT is hesitant. I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year as a Packer.

H

HardRightEdge

Is it telling at all that with all the talk about Rodgers and Matthews, there is silence on a new deal for Raji?

In fact, they are talking to NT Steve McLendon from the Steelers about a possible contract. That's not telling in itself, but I'll be curious to see how much they go after D-linemen in the draft next week.

Said it before, and I still maintain this, I think they realize that paying Raji is going to mean dishing out 1st rate money for a 2nd rate player, and I think TT is hesitant. I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year as a Packer.

Raji and Finley are d*mned if you do, d*mned if you don't. If they have big years, which they should since they'll be entering the free market, we won't be able to afford them. If they continue to show the inconsistencies which don't warrant the money they'll ask, we won't want them.

I think the Raji situation will play out like Jenkins, Wells, Colledge, Jennings...players with value who ask for more than TT/Ball are willing to pay. As with the aforementioned players, I expect sometime between week 6 and week 13, Raji will disclose with frustration that no satisfactory offer has been forthcoming and the unlikelihood of his return. That is if Raji is capable of frustration...the dude seems exceptionally laid back.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Raji projects well for the future, and hasn't even hit his prime. Vince Wilfork is only making 6.5 mil. We'll be fine.

Side note. While I think it's unlikely we sign McLendon, that would be HUGE move, and one I would be ecstatic about.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A gigantic HELL NO to signing Raji to a big contract. Raji is a colossal disappointment to me. I hoped he would have real toughness stopping the run as well as a decent push up the middle in rushing the passer. He has been pathetically lacking in both areas IMO. I see him single-blocked; I see him chasing down plays he should have jammed up; And I don't see him getting anywhere near QBs or collapsing the pocket on them. Let's put up with Raji one more year, then NOT sign him to a big contract. Get some big tough journeyman for about 1/8 as much money who will play NT as good or better than Raji.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If the Packers surprise us and sign McLendon, or if they spend a first or second rounder on a DT/NT that certainly would be a significant development for Raji's chances of staying in Green Bay beyond this season. I don't know what kind of compensation McLendon is looking for but the draft pick compensation required if the Steelers don't match the Packers' offer is right up Thompson's alley (zero picks).

I don't have as dim a view of Raji as some here but his taking plays off certainly bothers me. The other side of that coin is because of the lack of alternatives, he's played too many snaps for a big guy on the DL, although his snap count did drop last season. McGinn gave Raji a B grade last season. On the positive side: "After a sluggish start, Raji really stepped up his pass rush in the second half. He finished with 19 pressures (but nary a sack), one-half fewer than last season..." "Raji flashed his rare ability every Sunday. He can bull-rush almost any guard but also can win with quickness and technique." "He can eat up double-teams..." On the negative side he finishes that last comment with, "...but lacks the hard-nosed mentality of Pickett to do it all day." Also, " scouts across the league always have said Raji picks his spots. He takes more chances against the run than Pickett, sometimes to the detriment of the scheme."

If Raji plays great this season will it be because he finally matured and gives more consistent effort, or will it be because he's in a contract year? That's the conundrum may face next off season. Thompson is fond of saying God doesn't make many talented men Raji's size so that'll be a consideration too. If Raji does play well this season, they may just make him "prove it" again and franchise tag him, depending upon what Matthews and Rodgers' contract do to the cap. BTW, McGinn finished by saying the Packers need him and will try to re-sign him this off season.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see no rush to sign the guy. He has a lot of proving himself to do. I don't want to see him get a big contract at this point because he happens to be the best of a poor lot.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not looked at the numbers but I think the Pack will be able to afford both Jones and Raji, we just can not resign Finley and probably have to release Hawk.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not as down on Raji as others. For many I feel that the disappointment stems from his perceived drop-off from Year 2 to Year 3. I think that the guy is talented and plays well, but the drop-off has more to do with a lack of talent surrounding him. In an ideal world, he would blow up the OL every snap. That's a rare player. Everyone benefits from their surrounding teammates and the Packers haven't had much besides Raji and Pickett since Jenkins left. Now, I still expect to see better play and improvement out of the man.

I don't think it's worth a big contract right now. He hasn't displayed a level of play (outside of 2010) that would warrant it. Bringing in McLendon could be a bargaining move by TT & Ball to lower Raji's demand, or demonstrate that he's expendable. Time will tell

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I'm not as down on Raji as others. For many I feel that the disappointment stems from his perceived drop-off from Year 2 to Year 3. I think that the guy is talented and plays well, but the drop-off has more to do with a lack of talent surrounding him. In an ideal world, he would blow up the OL every snap. That's a rare player. Everyone benefits from their surrounding teammates and the Packers haven't had much besides Raji and Pickett since Jenkins left. Now, I still expect to see better play and improvement out of the man.

I don't think it's worth a big contract right now. He hasn't displayed a level of play (outside of 2010) that would warrant it. Bringing in McLendon could be a bargaining move by TT & Ball to lower Raji's demand, or demonstrate that he's expendable. Time will tell

Old, very slow Ryan Pickett has outplayed him two years running. What does that say?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No worries. Both Raji and Finley will sign with Minnesota after next season. But in all seriousness maybe if they both ball out next season one gets the tag and the other gets an extension. I'm thinking Raji is more expendable than Finley simply due to the fact that we rely so much on Rodgers and the passing game. I can't remember the last time i heard someone say it's going to be up to our defense to win this game.

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not yet, franchise him next year gives us two more years before we have to pay him. I would also draft a NT this year as insurance.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not yet, franchise him next year gives us two more years before we have to pay him. I would also draft a NT this year as insurance.

The sad part is Raji isn't a 2nd rate player (talent wise)... he just plays like one. We have all seen his potential and the impact he can have on the defense. Why in the heck does he dissapear so much?? the loss of Jenkins hurt him the most. Hopefully we can get him some help on the line.

ARodsBelt12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll be resigned. Yes he's had a bit of a drop off since 2010 as far as statistics but his job isn't to pile up sacks or tackles, it's to eat up blockers which is something he does well. I agree he needs to get going a little more but he also lost some talent around him (Jenkins), making his job much more difficult.

Reaction score
Didn't Adrian Peterson Compliment him after week 17 ? I recall Peterson/Kaep breaking their big runs off to the side (Walden's probably), but getting sort of stuffed up the middle....

I wouldn't mind keeping the guy (nothing more than 3.5 mil a year) - Still a young player, disappears when he doesn't show up, but when he does show up - the whole defense starts looking like a highlight reel (2nd half 2010).

Or we could just go pickup cheap fat guys like that Jerrell Powe from the Chiefs or whoever.
idk... draft a more consistent nose tackle.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Pickett outplayed everyone on the DL vs. the run but he didn’t outplay Raji getting pressure on the QB. And Pickett played about 11 fewer snaps per game than Raji last season (according to McGinn). Raji played significantly fewer snaps per game last season than he did in either 2010 or 2011 while Pickett played more snaps last year than he had since 2006. So that 11 snap gap was bigger previously. IOW, Pickett should be a lot fresher than Raji taking on double teams.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Raji is on, he's dominant. Watch him own all-pro Sullivan at the end of the year. When he's not, he's pretty lousy. Watch him disappear against the 9ers. Whether we bring him back or not depends on how much he asks. He shouldn't get Ngata money, but they Packers can't lose Pickett and Raji both in the same year.