DC Sanders thinking outside the box

Reaction score
This surprised me:

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders showed his "Rhino" package several times on early downs in San Diego. The Packers inserted a fifth defensive lineman and played either a 5-3 or 5-4 alignment.

"We didn't have that last year," linebacker Nick Barnett said. "It's pretty much a big, run-stopping defense. We haven't really tested it against the run. When we came out in that package the Chargers went to 'empty' and threw the ball."

When it's a 5-4, Barnett and Abdul Hodge play on the outside with A.J. Hawk and Ben Taylor on the inside.

"The line is squeezed in so me and Abdul kind of run free to our sides," Barnett said. "I think it's good."

Sanders also used a "Bear" defense with the interior offensive linemen covered up by defenders.

"Because of our youth, I'm not really in a position to be hiding things right now," McCarthy said. "It's really about you. We may be hiding it from Chicago but if we don't try it in live action I don't think our chances of being very successful against Chicago are very high."

SOURCE.

Hm, gut feelings can be wrong. (Not to mention I sort of look like an idiot for the posts I made about Sanders to Arrow :oops: ) Truth be told, this formation has potential. Can run a whole lot of ways with this.

It also underlines the importance of great CBs playing a massive part of the scheme. If Woodson was struggling, Sanders wouldn't have done this, IMO. Seems like Woodson is hungry to prove he can play, and just might do that. :)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah im with you here

this feels good to me... he obviously has enough faith in the defensive backs to run this type of thing. and i like that he doenst feel the need to stick to the same ol schemes. maybe sanders is the guy for the job.

Members online

Latest posts