David Amerson Released by the Raiders

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
If it’s unlikely josh Jackson falls to the Packers, I would like this FA signing.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6' 2"
205#
ran a 4.35 forty
pro stats look decent
how have i never heard of this kid?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are far better options available this offseason.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6' 2"
205#
ran a 4.35 forty
pro stats look decent

He was drafted by Washington in the 2nd round I believe I liked him coming out of college but seems like he hasn't been able to put it together yet. Washington gave up on him after just 3 seasons. Had one nice year in Oakland. I mean if he can still run a 4.35 he's worth a look in camp if you can get him on the cheap but I don't think he's got number 1 corner potential

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trumaine Johnson isnt worth 12 million a year I'd say amerson is probably a better option at his price point which is probably 4 million max.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6' 2"
205#
ran a 4.35 forty
pro stats look decent
Exactly right I have heard of him but I haven’t heard anything great from him either... lol

I’m still hoping Sherman gets cut for salary reasons otherwise I’d say Malcom butler eff the crap yesterday the kid can clearly play

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Aside from Trumaine Johnson, who are you looking at?

Kyle Fuller is my first choice. Would prefer Breeland, Johnson, Butler, Robinson, and Amukamara to Amerson.

If they took a flier on him, that’d be fine. He’s talented. But if that’s they’re answer to the need for a starting corner, they’re doing it wrong.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amerson is not good. Backup quality.

If he wants to come in on a cheap deal, maybe, but only as a backup.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Kyle Fuller is my first choice. Would prefer Breeland, Johnson, Butler, Robinson, and Amukamara to Amerson.

If they took a flier on him, that’d be fine. He’s talented. But if that’s they’re answer to the need for a starting corner, they’re doing it wrong.
I think it’s highly unlikely Kyle Fuller hits the open market and if he does I think it’s highly unlikely we can afford him. 21 million in cap (at this point - before any contracts have been restructured) and Rodgers will likely eat up some of not most of that. Butler is very overrated and will be the most overvalued CB in FA. I would be shocked if the Rams let Johnson test the market, though again if they do I do not think the Packers are in a position to make that signing. Amukamara and Amerson could be the best value, especially if that entire list of CB’s do hit the open market.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think it’s highly unlikely Kyle Fuller hits the open market and if he does I think it’s highly unlikely we can afford him. 21 million in cap (at this point - before any contracts have been restructured) and Rodgers will likely eat up some of not most of that. Butler is very overrated and will be the most overvalued CB in FA. I would be shocked if the Rams let Johnson test the market, though again if they do I do not think the Packers are in a position to make that signing. Amukamara and Amerson could be the best value, especially if that entire list of CB’s do hit the open market.

The Packers can afford a guy like Fuller if they want to. They have space at the moment, they have more if they want to tap into the WR position, and (most importantly) they have over 36M coming off the books in 2019 just between Nelson, Cobb, and Matthews. Yes, they need to extend Rodgers, but that's not going to nearly account for all the room they have moving forward. By no means do they need to settle for bargain basement acquisitions.

Butler is probably overrated, I agree, but even so he's still a way better player than Amerson. It's not close.

It would be strange for the Rams to let Johnson play on such an expensive franchise tag and then extend him. If that was the plan, why not just extend him to begin with?

Amukamara is a way better player than Amerson, as are Breeland and Robinson and probably a few other FA options.

If they want to take a flier on Amerson, that's fine. He is talented and has been competent before. But that would certainly need to be in addition to finding a starter to pair with King and Randall.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As crappy as our secondary has been, I am still curious as to how they would/will play with a new DC, new scheme and hopefully a better pass rush. I guess it is up to Pettine, Whitt and whoever else is involved in those decisions as to how "good" our current group of DB's are/can be. I think what they do in Free Agency and the draft will tell us where they think they are at in the process. Personally, I would rather see them go after improving the front 7 and pass rush and by doing so, that alone should help to get better play out of our secondary. It was hard not to notice during the playoffs, the defenses that were not getting pressure on the QB's were getting picked apart, despite having some pretty decent players in the secondary. Even the Eagles were having a difficult time pressuring Brady and he picked them apart, but when they did get pressure, we all saw what happened.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the majority of our problems on defense have been blown coverages or guys not being where they were supposed to be. It was a chronic problem spread over more than a couple players and a couple seasons now. Hopefully coaching changes that. While we may not be overflowing with guys that can shut down a receiver down after down all by himself, I'm fairly confident we have, and have had players that can play good enough team defense to get us into the top 12 or so, with better players we can do better than that too.

The other part was pass rush, not consistent enough, but I also think at times it was part of the defense. Clark and get penetration, Daniels can penetrate Lowery can push a pocket. our OLB's some are good and unavailable at times and some are just guys, but other times it looked like their job was not to rush. It really did. We do need to get better in this regard in terms of players, but I also think it was the defense called at times too because i've seen them all be able to rush a passer and they're capable

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something must be done about the CB group. What was the plan last year, exactly? To pray that the gaping hole at the position would fill itself?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Bears sign Amerson and let Fuller walk to the Packers, I will just laugh and laugh.

Although the Bears have 20 UFA's on their roster, they probably can still afford both Fuller or Amukamara, so its surprising that they are looking at Amerson. Fuller would be my pick of the 3, but again, what will his price tag be if he is available?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Although the Bears have 20 UFA's on their roster, they probably can still afford both Fuller or Amukamara, so its surprising that they are looking at Amerson. Fuller would be my pick of the 3, but again, what will his price tag be if he is available?

11M+/season

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
11M+/season
Might be close and could go higher considering what Bouye and Gilmore received last year. A lot of what I read about Fuller I like, but then there is his not playing very well in 2015 and missing all of 2016.

I guess I'm still holding out hope that King is THE guy the Packers were looking for and along with Randall playing better, the Packers would be better off spending that kind of money on finding a player that can help put some pressure on the QB. It will be interesting to see what Mike Pettine thinks he can do with the current defense and when Free Agency begins, we may get an idea what he thinks the Packers need to get better.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Might be close and could go higher considering what Bouye and Gilmore received last year. A lot of what I read about Fuller I like, but then there is his not playing very well in 2015 and missing all of 2016.

I guess I'm still holding out hope that King is THE guy the Packers were looking for and along with Randall playing better, the Packers would be better off spending that kind of money on finding a player that can help put some pressure on the QB. It will be interesting to see what Mike Pettine thinks he can do with the current defense and when Free Agency begins, we may get an idea what he thinks the Packers need to get better.

My opinion-- Fuller had rookie struggles in '14, made a step up to playing solid in '15, missed all of '16, and was a good starter in '17. I think it's that missing 2016 season that's clouding his trajectory as a player. In every season he's actually been healthy for, he's taken big, positive steps forward. But that might play into the favor of the team that signs him. They might get more value than they actually have to pay for-- though his price tag will certainly be hefty even if there is something of a discount.

But even IF King takes a big step, which I think he will, and IF Randall maintains, which I have no idea about, you still need a 3rd starter. Right now, even in the perfect scenario where those guys are good, the Packers have Hawkins and Pipkins as the 3rd starter and first backup. That's not a good situation.

The money currently on the books is heavily skewed towards pass rushers. Our corners are cheap. It makes more sense to me to add salary with a veteran corner and address edge rusher in the draft. This corner FA class looks much better than the edge class as well.