Davante Adams Thread!

D

Deleted member 6794

I observed that with Boykin and Adams our receiving corp is getting slower; I don't see how that can be refuted.

I don´t expect to see Boykin and Adams together on the field for a lot of snaps. While Adams isn´t one of the fastest guys he´s way faster than Boykin.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Adams' upside as a slightly slower Roddy White. I guess you guys didn't notice I liked this pick. But breakaway speed is not his thing, nor is it a necessity if other pieces are in place.

I observed that with Boykin and Adams our receiving corp is getting slower; I don't see how that can be refuted.

Yea it is, and that's shocking because MM likes calling those long developing play action passes down field. Jordy Nelson is usually on the end of those but what if he tweeks a hammy or something?? Cobb is more quicker than fast and Boykin isn't out running anyone. Does the guy become Abrederris? Idk but I wish that we had more speed at wr.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yea it is, and that's shocking because MM likes calling those long developing play action passes down field. Jordy Nelson is usually on the end of those but what if he tweeks a hammy or something?? Cobb is more quicker than fast and Boykin isn't out running anyone. Does the guy become Abrederris? Idk but I wish that we had more speed at wr.

Adams is as fast as James Jones was when he came out of college. He´s great catching the ball and pretty dangerous after the catch. I think Janis would be the best option right now if we want to have someone run a go route.

H

HardRightEdge

I don´t expect to see Boykin and Adams together on the field for a lot of snaps. While Adams isn´t one of the fastest guys he´s way faster than Boykin.
Not this season anyway; as a rookie I'd expect Adams to be mostly the #4 and if he does well he might steal some #3 snaps. Adams should be viewed as the Nelson contingency.

Adams has a lot of low-to-mid-gear speed and he's quick out of his breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Not this season anyway; as rookie I'd expect Adams to be mostly the #4 and if he does well he might steal some #3 snaps. Adams should be viewed as the Nelson contingency.

Adams has a lot of low-to-mid-gear speed and he's quick out of his breaks.

I would expect him to take away some snaps from Boykin, depending on the route combination on specific pass plays.

H

HardRightEdge

The #5 spot comes down to who out-competes. I'd like to see White take the next step. We've had difficulties against cover 2, and it would be nice to have a burner we can put out there for some snaps against certain teams to get the safeties to take a step or two back.

Last edited by a moderator:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not as sold on Boykin as some of you are. He made 2 or 3 great catches during the season and can be a YAC guy but I don't see anything other than Just a possession wr.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The #5 spot comes down to who out-competes. I'd like to White take the next step. We've had difficulties against cover 2, and it would be nice to have a burner we can put out there for some snaps against certain teams to get the safeties to take a step or two back.

This is where you need a good tightend. Finley should be bought back for this reason alone.

D

Deleted member 6794

The #5 spot comes down to who out-competes. I'd like to White take the next step. We've had difficulties against cover 2, and it would be nice to have a burner we can put out there for some snaps against certain teams to get the safeties to take a step or two back.

Janis is as fast as White. It will be really interesting to see four of five guys battling for one or two spots in camp.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis is as fast as White. It will be really interesting to see four of five guys battling for one or two spots in camp.

white won't be on the active roster. The 5 Wrs will be Nelson, Boykin, Cobb, Adams, and Abrederris. white will probably be on the practice squad along with Janis and the other guy they drafted. The one thing White has for him is he's got a yr In the system that's it.

D

Deleted member 6794

white won't be on the active roster. The 5 Wrs will be Nelson, Boykin, Cobb, Adams, and Abrederris. white will probably be on the practice squad along with Janis and the other guy they drafted. The one thing White has for him is he's got a yr In the system that's it.

I think there´s a possibility the Packers keep six receivers on the 53.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you mean there's a possibility we won't have to see 4 dang tight ends on the active roster every week!! One can only hope.

Aside of Quarless, Bostick and Rodgers I don´t see any TE deserving of making the 53 on the current roster.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of Quarless, Bostick and Rodgers I don´t see any TE deserving of making the 53 on the current roster.

Neither do I but the staff likes having all those TE on the roster. Is Ryan Taylor still with us?? If so he will be the 4th one count on it. Kills me because all they do is play on special teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

Neither do I but the staff likes having all those TE on the roster. Is Ryan Taylor still with us?? If so he will be the 4th one count on it. Kills me because all they do is play on special teams.

Yeah, Taylor´s still on the roster.

H

HardRightEdge

Hate him or love him but he can eat up that type of defense and demand some attention. No ones afraid of Andrew Quarless.
Speaking of which, this is another receiver position where we've gotten slower in terms of long speed.

Which brings to mind a thought about the West Coast offense. We kinda run that in concept, but not consistently in execution. We'll see some drives heavy on shorter passes and timing passes with the ball out quick. However, Rodgers goes down the field a lot, and when the clock ticks down toward 2.5 seconds and Rodgers starts to slide in or ditches the pocket, the offense looks more like AFL ad-lib big play passing. In other words, this offense has a heavy dose of Air Coryell to go with the Bill Walsh.

I find the idea of trying to turn Rodgers into a pure pocket passer with a bunch of possession receivers undesirable if not impossible.

D

Deleted member 6794

Speaking of which, this is another receiver position where we've gotten slower in terms of long speed.

Which brings to mind a thought about the West Coast offense. We kinda run that in concept, but not consistently in execution. We'll see some drives heavy on shorter passes and timing passes with the ball out quick. However, Rodgers goes down the field a lot, and when the clock ticks down toward 2.5 seconds and Rodgers starts to slide in or ditches the pocket, the offense looks more like AFL ad-lib big play passing. In other words, this offense has a heavy dose of Air Coryell to go with the Bill Walsh.

I find the idea of trying to turn Rodgers into a pure pocket passer with a bunch of possession receivers undesirable if not impossible.

I don´t think we´ve lost that much speed compared to last season by not bringing JJ back. Aside of Boykin all of these guys possess some speed to get downfield as well.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never understood the apparent disappointment with a "possession receiver." I hear a lot of people wanting to blow the top off the D and hit the home run every play. I view receivers and offense as a whole in a much different way. I love nothing more than a reliable, tough guy that can make all the catches and most importantly, MOVE THE CHAINS! The game of football is based upon possession. Therefore by definition is a possession WR not worth his weight in gold? Don't get me wrong I love the 60 yard bomb as much as the next guy but I am a lover of consistency and knowing what you have. Look at a guy like Ted Ginn or a guy that is no longer in the league, Ashley Lelie. You look at their line come games end and they have 60-75 yards...on one catch. There are so many guys with this blazing speed that have either stone hands, can't run a route to save their lives or can't get off a LOS jam. Yes, they will pop a "big one" every now and then but 100 out of 100 times I want the guy who is boring as hell, "slow" and can't go deep (other than a double move) yet always make the grab for 11 on 3rd and 9. I have 3 words that drive D's crazy and win you games, move the chains. It's just that simple. Move the friggin chains. Speed is so overrated and I just don't get it. Jordy, Jennings, hell Antonio Freeman were not very fast but they do/did one thing every time they stepped on the field. Produced. I am in the production business and I would take the guy who shows up every day, works his tail off and makes all the plays needed to win a game over the guy who may get lucky once or twice a week and deliver with a bomb. Call me old school but as I keep saying there is still a place for consistency and boring, slower wideouts who produce...no matter how boring it may be to some of you. Also, I would give my pinky and a kidney to be able to run a 4.5 or so and be deemed slow. When you think about it, it just highlights how special these athletes truly are. GPG!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Rice was known as a speedster too.
Precisely. It just goes to prove that football speed and track speed are completely different things.
I see Adams' upside as a slightly slower Roddy White. I guess you guys didn't notice I liked this pick. But breakaway speed is not his thing, nor is it a necessity if other pieces are in place.

If the NFL decides to have a big track meet on Pro Bowl weekend, I could see where that might become a problem. The only way it's any kind of problem now is if MM decides to go to a passing offense consisting solely of Rodgers throwing 40+ yard bombs.

On a more relevant note, with Boykin and Adams one could also say our receiving corps is becoming more sure-handed.

Interesting aside: Did you know over the last 5 years, the bottom 10% of WRs in 40 yard dash has produced more yardage than WRs in the top 10%?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Boykin caught 49 passes last regular season and he had a 13.9 yard average. His longest reception was 52 yards. I realize that is a small sample size but in terms of comparison to the top receivers last regular season: Of the top 10 in receptions only 3 had higher per catch averages. 7 of the top 10 in total receiving yards had higher averages with a collective 15.3 ypc. That's less than 1.5 ypc more than Boykin's average. (Nelson’s average was only 1.6 ypc more.) Again I realize it’s a small sample size for Boykin – he tied for 76th in receptions in the league - and I'm certainly not saying Boykin is a speedster, I'm just with those who believe it's not that important.

I agree with HRE, McCarthy’s offense isn’t pure WCO and the long fake handout followed by a Rodgers extremely deep drop followed by (usually a pass to Jordy) is a good example. But I don’t think adding possession receivers translates into trying to turn Rodgers into a pocket passer. When he slides out of the pocket all that is required is a receiver getting open and of course they don’t need elite speed to do that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts