Darren Rizzi not Packers teams coordinator because of price?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is true it's concerning to me. How much could he really have been asking for? Why be cheap on special teams when it's been a problem for so long? I mean the Packers make plenty of money every single year and as far as I know coaches don't count against the salary cap. If true, this is not a good look for mark Murphy

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Unless he was asking for something absurd, this also bothers me. He was the best option out there by a good margin. If you want to improve, you have to spend to do it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a head coaching candidate I think for some teams, maybe he thought that would entitle him to HC pay scale? I doubt we'll ever know the details. It will be interesting to see where he goes next and what he gets paid.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably don't want to start a scrap between coaches - maybe he wanted more than what other position coaches of more value are making.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when are the Packers going to realize if there's someone out there who's the best at something, and who they want, they're going to have to pay the Green Bay tax?

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when are the Packers going to realize if there's someone out there who's the best at something, and who they want, they're going to have to pay the Green Bay tax?
I agree.. If this is true, then there's a bigger issue in the organization that stems from the top. They had a joke for special teams and they have an opportunity to get one of the bests and they are going to sit there nickle and dime coaches

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.. If this is true, then there's a bigger issue in the organization that stems from the top. They had a joke for special teams and they have an opportunity to get one of the bests and they are going to sit there nickle and dime coaches
you have no idea if it was nickels and dimes or he wanted 2,3,5 millions.

I've been around the country, Though GB has it's own unique flavor, it's not all that bad of a place to live at all. and it's certainly not a bad place to live if your life is football.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At 5:00 in this video, Nagler says he knows for 100% that money wasn’t the reason and that there were other factors why they couldn’t close the deal, but that’s all he can say on it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's always more to the story. PR departments have ways of spinning anything into anything for media hounds to lap up.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's ridiculous to suggest the Packers should have offered to pay Rizzi whatever he was asking for. While he might present a better option than most other special teams coaches there's no reason to hugely overpay for him.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you have no idea if it was nickels and dimes or he wanted 2,3,5 millions.

I've been around the country, Though GB has it's own unique flavor, it's not all that bad of a place to live at all. and it's certainly not a bad place to live if your life is football.

True we don't know the specifics but unless he was asking for more than lafluer is getting , which I highly doubt, they should have stepped up and made a deal with the man. The special teams have been consistently bad since the Brett favre super bowls and Rizzi by all accounts is a guy who would be a big part of turning that around

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather overpay someone who is a great coach than hire one of these awful retreads they are looking at. The Jags and Giants guys they are looking at both had horrible special teams units for the majority of their careers. The Jags guy got demoted for being so bad.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's also be realistic about a young coach beginning his head coaching career. Often they have to stock the cupboards with whatever is available in the first year, despite their best efforts. LaFleur will have time to reassess this season and reach out to the guys he really wants as things play out. I would expect a few of these position coaches to be replaced heading into Year 2.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
...and Rizzi is THE BEST??? I noted some of the earlier posters saying the Pack HAVE to pay to get THE BEST and then some due to the Green Bay tax ... How is Rizzi THE BEST???...and what then is a fair salary for a special teams coach? I'm most curious about how he would qualify as THE BEST.

I only bring it up because at one time (for ONE season), Nolan Cromwell was THE BEST... the proverbial "girl with the curl" as Ron Wolf used to say. For ONE season ... (thanks, Des...)

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ridiculous to suggest the Packers should have offered to pay Rizzi whatever he was asking for. While he might present a better option than most other special teams coaches there's no reason to hugely overpay for him.
why if he's worth it? you have to make it worth his while to move up there...to the leagues smallest city. uprooting family, the wisconsin state income tax, wife's career change (if any), etc.
nope...only if you want him, think he can make a difference you desire, and are serious in your goals.
it goes for getting free agents too.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is Rizzi THE BEST???...and what then is a fair salary for a special teams coach? I'm most curious about how he would qualify as THE BEST.
i guess he's the best because that's what the people-in-the-know say. coach/player comments, his results, track record, etc.
as for what's fair...it depends on your goals and how serious you are about attaining them.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather overpay someone who is a great coach than hire one of these awful retreads they are looking at. The Jags and Giants guys they are looking at both had horrible special teams units for the majority of their careers. The Jags guy got demoted for being so bad.

Exactly smh. These hires are certainly Head scratchers which makes me dislike this Lafleur hire even more.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess this is what we talk about in the off season but why? I agree that special teams play in the past has been mediocre at best but face it, Darren Rizzi will be a bum so quick it will make your head spin if he is hired and has the same lazy players to work with. It takes a "do anything" attitude to play on special teams. Field position is so important. The last high quality punter that I remember was Craig Hentrich 25 years ago. Desmond Howard was a game changer in the 90's. Who jumps out after that? Coaches are important but you NEED players on special teams that will do anything it takes to get the job done and fight to keep their job. Right now all I see is players that go through the motions. Any coach that is eventually hired will have to convince them to sacrifice their bodies. Tough task.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol as trash as our special teams unit was the Packers should’ve made it a point to get the best special teams coach they could possibly get. If There was a unit they should’ve overspent on for a coach? special teams was definitely it.

JohnnyBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clarification on why Rizzi did not come to Green Bay to be Special Team Coordinator. It appears that it did not have to do with Salary or the Packers low-balling him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...e-dave-toub-approach-to-packers-special-teams

LaFleur interviewed several candidates for the position, including former Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi. A source said the Packers made Rizzi a competitive offer, but that Rizzi declined the job for family reasons and that whatever job Rizzi takes, his family planned to stay in South Florida. He wanted a job that was more easily accessible to the Miami area.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...pecial-teams-coach-shawn-mennenga/2711911002/

Rizzi and LaFleur hit it off, the source said, but Rizzi left town without the offer he thought was forthcoming. Although the Packers met his number several days later, the source said, he decided to pull himself out of the running. He is expected to land with another NFL team.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clarification on why Rizzi did not come to Green Bay to be Special Team Coordinator. It appears that it did not have to do with Salary or the Packers low-balling him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...e-dave-toub-approach-to-packers-special-teams

LaFleur interviewed several candidates for the position, including former Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi. A source said the Packers made Rizzi a competitive offer, but that Rizzi declined the job for family reasons and that whatever job Rizzi takes, his family planned to stay in South Florida. He wanted a job that was more easily accessible to the Miami area.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...pecial-teams-coach-shawn-mennenga/2711911002/

Rizzi and LaFleur hit it off, the source said, but Rizzi left town without the offer he thought was forthcoming. Although the Packers met his number several days later, the source said, he decided to pull himself out of the running. He is expected to land with another NFL team.

So if this isn't public relations spin orchestrated by the Packers...then why would Rizzi have even wasted the Packers time by taking the interview with apparently absolutely no intention of taking the job because "his family's staying home in South Florida." if this is true it doesn't make Rizzi look very geninue

Members online

Latest posts