Darren Rizzi not Packers teams coordinator because of price?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People interview and have varying levels of interest in all sorts of jobs and walks of life. Sometimes they take jobs they don’t think they’d want for a hundred different reasons and sometimes they walk away from jobs they thought they wanted because they just changed their mind. Or their wife changed their mind or they just had a bad feeling.

Anyway, GB seems to run a pretty legit ship and I doubt they offered him money way out of line for a ST coordinator in this league.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People interview and have varying levels of interest in all sorts of jobs and walks of life. Sometimes they take jobs they don’t think they’d want for a hundred different reasons and sometimes they walk away from jobs they thought they wanted because they just changed their mind. Or their wife changed their mind or they just had a bad feeling.

Anyway, GB seems to run a pretty legit ship and I doubt they offered him money way out of line for a ST coordinator in this league.

Quit being logical, damn you.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah I know my point is that's an inconsiderate thing to do. Whether it's an interview for a gas station job or the Packers special teams coach it's inconsiderate to interview for a job you have no intention of taking. You may have prevented someone else who really needs the job from getting an interview and you've wasted the employers resources, as well as time. If I was the Packers and I heard this I would feel disrespected. Because that's exactly what being inconsiderate is, straight up disrespectful

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. Two things:

1) The Packers (Murphy) essentially low-balled Rizzi with the first offer. Probably not the best way for them to go about it, but they did eventually match what he reportedly wanted.

2) Rizzi could have used this to get a bigger contract elsewhere, or just see how high he could get Murphy to go. It's a common practice in the coaching world, and not that frowned upon.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that 1) is what happened 100% seems like typical Murphy move. I'm not a fan of dude at all, he's sure no harlan.

But 2) only works if you sign a deal before the team your using to up your price signs someone else. Once they do as gb has, your leverage is gone no?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that 1) is what happened 100% seems like typical Murphy move. I'm not a fan of dude at all, he's sure no harlan.
how can you say it's a "typical murphy move" when we don't have any idea what a typical murphy move is? he's never been involved in the football side. he has no track record. i think the mack non-deal is on gute and ball...not murphy, and any low-balling is being done the same two and, to a lessor extent, LMF since he's on board now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Clarification on why Rizzi did not come to Green Bay to be Special Team Coordinator. It appears that it did not have to do with Salary or the Packers low-balling him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...e-dave-toub-approach-to-packers-special-teams

LaFleur interviewed several candidates for the position, including former Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi. A source said the Packers made Rizzi a competitive offer, but that Rizzi declined the job for family reasons and that whatever job Rizzi takes, his family planned to stay in South Florida. He wanted a job that was more easily accessible to the Miami area.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...pecial-teams-coach-shawn-mennenga/2711911002/

Rizzi and LaFleur hit it off, the source said, but Rizzi left town without the offer he thought was forthcoming. Although the Packers met his number several days later, the source said, he decided to pull himself out of the running. He is expected to land with another NFL team.

BS, the Packers definitely low-balled Rizzi because their front office is too cheap to pay for a decent special teams coach. Heck, why stop there??? I'm quite sure all the other coaches are clueless so Rizzi didn't want to work with them and the roster being crappy figured into his decision as well. The team not being able to announce a strength and conditionng staff probably was the icing on the cake. FIRE EVERYONE!!!

For those not getting it, that was meant to be sarcastic.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BS, the Packers definitely low-balled Rizzi because their front office is too cheap to pay for a decent special teams coach. Heck, why stop there??? I'm quite sure all the other coaches are clueless so Rizzi didn't want to work with them and the roster being crappy figured into his decision as well. The team not being able to announce a strength and conditionng staff probably was the icing on the cake. FIRE EVERYONE!!!

What’s the point though lol... the choir you are preaching to already gets it. The others actually think that you posted a profound set of facts... sigh

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The only problem with your attempt at sarcasm is that it clearly states in the article that the Packers did intially low ball Rizzi only to later meet his asking price. Perhaps it was that intial low ball offer that turned Rizzi off to the Packers, because he has yet to take a job.

Point is the Packers front office has a history of making bone head decisions like that. Charles woodson, Julius peppers both future hall of famers both willing to take pay cuts significant ones to continue their careers and pursuit of a championship in gb. And both shown the door without so much as a conversation. Both go on to have at least one more stellar season and one more good season, at positions the Packers still haven't shored up. They could of really helped the team but the front office didn't do their due diligence and just have a conversation. Its baffling that anyone could think that's good business. Then, Jordy Nelson willing to stay for well less than he ended up getting from the raiders probably 3 to 5 m a year and what does front office do? Insult him with a low ball offer just above the vet minimum. Well guess what the Packers are without a doubt, a much better offense this past season if it's Adams, nelson, mvs rather than adams, mvs, EQ. Now this Rizzi low ball is added to the list. We can also add the marshawn Lynch trade where they lowballed the bills by a round and lost out to Seattle. How'd that work out? Probably should of just given em the 3rd rounder instead of insisting on a 4th. Especially when at the time you had your franchise QB who played with Lynch during his final season at Cal, vouching for him in a big way.

It's a definite troubling pattern of not exploring all the options available to them and putting themselves in bad situations that could of been avoided by simple communication

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps it was that intial low ball offer that turned Rizzi off to the Packers, because he has yet to take a job.

Maybe it's early, but I'm having a tough time following this. Why would him being turned off by the Packers be supported by him either not taking another job or not being offered one?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn’t low ball anyone on Lynch. One team came in last second with a slightly higher pick. That’s it. It’s not like teams were lining up with 2nd rounders to get the guy. And besides, we won a super bowl without him.

Nelson wouldn’t have made a difference, it was time for Charles to go and Peppers was on a much better defense there than here. And there is zero reason to think he even wanted to come back here.

And coming up to Rizzis asking price does t mean he was lowballed. They could have offere a million a year, which could be 500k more than the average ST coordinator, but he wanted 2million.

Without actual numbers, we have no idea what was offered or rejected or if it was too low, or just not high enough to convince a guy to move from FL.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's early, but I'm having a tough time following this. Why would him being turned off by the Packers be supported by him either not taking another job or not being offered one?

What the statement you quoted means is:

It's not like Rizzi turned the Packers down to take a job elsewhere because as of right now he is unemployed so more than likely it was the intial low ball offer that turned him off to the "gb way"

do you get it now?

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They didn’t low ball anyone on Lynch. One team came in last second with a slightly higher pick. That’s it. It’s not like teams were lining up with 2nd rounders to get the guy. And besides, we won a super bowl without him.

Nelson wouldn’t have made a difference, it was time for Charles to go and Peppers was on a much better defense there than here. And there is zero reason to think he even wanted to come back here.

And coming up to Rizzis asking price does t mean he was lowballed. They could have offere a million a year, which could be 500k more than the average ST coordinator, but he wanted 2million.

Without actual numbers, we have no idea what was offered or rejected or if it was too low, or just not high enough to convince a guy to move from FL.

You are wrong about a lot of these statements. I'll go in order.

As for Lynch, not true. It was well documented at the time TT was given a chance to beat the bills offer and he still said he wouldn't offer more than a 4th. Yes gb won 1 Superbowl without him but how many would they have won had they had lynch in his prime paired with Rodgers? Safe to say more than 1

Nelson would have made a difference he put up 63 for 739 3tds with a scared inferior qb on a terrible team. He absolutely would have had better numbers in GB with Rodgers and to say that wouldn't have made a difference is ignorant.

Definitely not time for Charles to go. He was an invaluable leader in the locker room and an above average safety in Oakland after he left, at a time gb was trying, very unsuccessfully to fill the position with the likes of md jennings etc. Jason Wilde spoke to woodson and he reported Charles was willing to take a significant pay cut to stay in GB. Instead he wasnt even approached with that conversation.

As for peppers "zero reasons" hey? Well Jason Wilde reported that he spoke to peppers and peppers said he did have interest in returning but the Packers never had a single conversation with him.

And Rizzi, it's been reported that he was low balled on pft. That report obviously came from somewhere probably not the Packers so most likely from rizzis representation. It's true we don't know the exact specifics but it's certainly not a stretch to believe the low ball report.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opinions and guesses at numbers are not proof

Where did I say anything that was an opinion/guess at a number? I specifically said it's true we don't know exact numbers on rizzi.

Or you're talking about what nelson would of done in GB this past season? That's true it's not proof it's projection. That's all it can be as it wasn't given a chance to happen as the front office did not do their due diligence on the matter and have a simple conversation with the man.

Oh or you me number of lynch/Rodgers Superbowl wins? Well that's simple common sense if you told anyone Rodgers won 1 Superbowl during a time period. Then you said now imagine he was teamed with Lynch during that same time period, how many do they win? Pretty sure no one, not even you would say just 1?

I guess you may be missing the point. In all these instances what's the common theme? Communication. It seems it's been lacking on very important matters between the front office and players repeatedly over the past 5 years or so.

And by the way some of your points did not require proof to illustrate them as wrong. Unless you think charles woodson, julius peppers, jordy nelson and Jason Wilde are all being dishonest when they say that the players weren't communicated with on even a basic level

JohnnyBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Rizzi, it's been reported that he was low balled on pft. That report obviously came from somewhere probably not the Packers so most likely from rizzis representation. It's true we don't know the exact specifics but it's certainly not a stretch to believe the low ball report.

Just to be clear, PFT quoted Tom Silverstein from a Journal Sentinel article. Here is the paragraph from his article:

It is believed Rizzi’s price was high, so a team would have to make a considerable investment to lure him. It’s unclear where Rizzi will land, but apparently another team was more attractive to him or made a better offer than the Packers.

According to ESPN (Rob Demovsky) and a newer article by the same Tom Silverstien, they both mention that GB did meet his offer but he declined.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear, PFT quoted Tom Silverstein from a Journal Sentinel article. Here is the paragraph from his article:

According to ESPN (Rob Demovsky) and a newer article by the same Tom Silverstien, they both mention that GB did meet his offer but he declined.
yes but a week later after talking to other candidates. it clearly left a bad taste in his mouth. so mack and now rizzi. two good lessons going into free agency for this young front office. if there's someone you really want...close the deal!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did I say anything that was an opinion/guess at a number? I specifically said it's true we don't know exact numbers on rizzi.

Or you're talking about what nelson would of done in GB this past season? That's true it's not proof it's projection. That's all it can be as it wasn't given a chance to happen as the front office did not do their due diligence on the matter and have a simple conversation with the man.

Oh or you me number of lynch/Rodgers Superbowl wins? Well that's simple common sense if you told anyone Rodgers won 1 Superbowl during a time period. Then you said now imagine he was teamed with Lynch during that same time period, how many do they win? Pretty sure no one, not even you would say just 1?

I guess you may be missing the point. In all these instances what's the common theme? Communication. It seems it's been lacking on very important matters between the front office and players repeatedly over the past 5 years or so.

And by the way some of your points did not require proof to illustrate them as wrong. Unless you think charles woodson, julius peppers, jordy nelson and Jason Wilde are all being dishonest when they say that the players weren't communicated with on even a basic level
I could see with my own eyes Woodson was not nearly effective at the end here as he was even a season or 2 prior.

Peppers was older and had a better season than he had in GB. They didn’t sign him, and I could go either way, it’s not enough to get upset about though: either way.

Adams proved he was an elite receiver performing for a lesser QB. Nelson absolutely disappeared. I was a tippy cup teammate of his dads, I would have liked for him to stay, but he obviously was not a 10 million or 7 or 5 million dollar a year receiver anymore.

We should have had more Super Bowls without lynch too. 14 was the year. 15 and 16 had basically the same rosters with many of those guys unavailable to play. It happens.

D

Deleted member 6794

The only problem with your attempt at sarcasm is that it clearly states in the article that the Packers did intially low ball Rizzi only to later meet his asking price. Perhaps it was that intial low ball offer that turned Rizzi off to the Packers, because he has yet to take a job.

Point is the Packers front office has a history of making bone head decisions like that. Charles woodson, Julius peppers both future hall of famers both willing to take pay cuts significant ones to continue their careers and pursuit of a championship in gb. And both shown the door without so much as a conversation. Both go on to have at least one more stellar season and one more good season, at positions the Packers still haven't shored up. They could of really helped the team but the front office didn't do their due diligence and just have a conversation. Its baffling that anyone could think that's good business. Then, Jordy Nelson willing to stay for well less than he ended up getting from the raiders probably 3 to 5 m a year and what does front office do? Insult him with a low ball offer just above the vet minimum. Well guess what the Packers are without a doubt, a much better offense this past season if it's Adams, nelson, mvs rather than adams, mvs, EQ. Now this Rizzi low ball is added to the list. We can also add the marshawn Lynch trade where they lowballed the bills by a round and lost out to Seattle. How'd that work out? Probably should of just given em the 3rd rounder instead of insisting on a 4th. Especially when at the time you had your franchise QB who played with Lynch during his final season at Cal, vouching for him in a big way.

It's a definite troubling pattern of not exploring all the options available to them and putting themselves in bad situations that could of been avoided by simple communication

While Rizzi was considered to be the best coordinator available his units with the Dolphins weren't any special. According to Football Outsiders his units averaged to finish 19th in the league over his nine year tenure in Miami, ending up in the top 10 only once back in 2011.

I agree that Thompson made a mistake letting Woodson leave too early but there's no reason to complain about any of the other moves you mentioned.

yes but a week later after talking to other candidates. it clearly left a bad taste in his mouth. so mack and now rizzi. two good lessons going into free agency for this young front office. if there's someone you really want...close the deal!

Maybe the Packers didn't want to hire Rizzi that bad for various reasons.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts