Darious and Under the Radar Trade?

walker84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Contacted Jaguars about Darius - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:45:09 -0800

Bart Hubbuch, of the Florida Times-Union, reports the Green Bay Packers contacted the Jacksonville Jaguars about the availability of SS Donovin Darius. However, the Packers are not willing to meet the Jaguars' asking price. Plus, the Packers likely do not have the salary cap room necessary to meet the contract demands Darius is looking for.

Also with Farves restruction you have to believe that their is somebody coming to GB. Stay believen Packer fans Preason isnt here yet.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd have to see that article... Last I heard, re-structuring his Contract is NOT what the Packers should be thinking about doing... Extending the cost on our Salary Cap into the Future, AFTER Brett retires.. should never be a consideration value at this late stage of the game. Never! Once Brett retires... then our Salary Cap obligations to him should also be gone! End of Story!!!

What link was that?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from that article on KFFL.com said:
Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers saved $1.6 million in salary-cap room after guaranteeing $2 million of the $3 million roster bonus owed to QB Brett Favre. The club will have to count just one-fifth of the $2 million, or $400,000, against their '05 cap and be able to push the remaining prorated amount of $1.6 million into the next four years.

Okay - now.... it makes sense..!
If the Packers only have to worry about 400K each year as far as Brett's concerned... Not only does he have pocket cash for golfing trips, but the Packers have more room to work with now....

Way to go, Ted! :mrgreen:

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Ted is doing a great job so far. I, for one, am not worrying about the slow pace he is setting in free agency. It's better than signing a Joe Johnson, Hardy Nickerson, or a Hunt for too much money.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
grabthar said:
I think that Ted is doing a great job so far. I, for one, am not worrying about the slow pace he is setting in free agency. It's better than signing a Joe Johnson, Hardy Nickerson, or a Hunt for too much money.

True. It is better to move slow and make say two slow right moves then make five quick wrong moves.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
You're exactly right. Keep in mind too that there will still be another round of cuts this summer. If I remember correctly, by waiting until June 1 or whatever the date is to release a player, the team can move their cap number to the following year. This is when alot of veterans get released. Last year was Warren Sapp, John Lynch, and I believe Hugh Douglas just to name a few. So there's plenty of time to get veterans. Once the draft is over, players will be getting released so that teams can sign their draft picks as well.

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, June 1st is another great pickup date. There have been some good bargains at that time. Another benefit is that you can pick up some motivated players then. By that time, free agency has calmed down and teams that hold players until them, sometimes tick them off by not letting them jump into the oversigning period in the first few weeks of March. They are mad that they don't get the piles of money, so they sign for less and play great. (This is just a theory, but I have seen it happen a few times)

Latest posts