Robert "All Talk" Ferguson

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert Ferguson's revenge? Former Packer hopes for big week for Vikings

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
September 28, 2007

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Robert Ferguson is so recently removed from the Green Bay Packers that he's still in regular contact with about 25 of their players.

He hopes to be the one bragging next week, after his new team takes on his old one. If the Vikings lose at home on Sunday to the Packers, boy, would that be a lot of trash talk to take.

"They brought him in, but at one point they said he's not good enough anymore," Minnesota offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "So now he's with us. Guys play well in those types of situations, and we hope that he does that this week."

With Donald Driver established as Brett Favre's favorite target and young Greg Jennings and James Jones emerging behind Driver on the depth chart, Ferguson fell out of favor in Green Bay and was released in the middle of training camp.

But the rival Vikings have been sorely lacking accomplished and reliable receivers since Randy Moss was traded before the 2005 season, so Ferguson was a natural fit.

"I'm in a great situation," he said. "I'm thankful that it went down the way that it did to where I can really help this team and really, really do some things in this sport right now."

Drafted in the second round in 2001 out of Texas A&M, Ferguson had his best year in 2003 when he caught 38 passes for 520 yards and four touchdowns. But 2004 was a bad season for him. Driver and Javon Walker each had career years, diminishing his opportunities. Then came the game against Jacksonville in December, when Jaguars safety Donovin Darius hit him in the neck so hard with an extended arm that he lost his helmet, was temporarily paralyzed below the waist and still had problems with headaches the next spring.

The clothesline drew Darius a 15-yard penalty, an immediate ejection and a $75,000 fine from the NFL.

"Ferg was one of the guys that never, ever even questioned going over the middle," said Vikings kicker Ryan Longwell, who played for the Packers for nine years. "He'd go over the middle day in and day out, and when he took that shot ... it changes your attitude. We were all concerned for his health and well-being, but at the same time as a player you totally understand that you just don't bounce back from that and go run routes across the middle. So it's going to take some time."

Longwell said he sees "the old Ferg" now, but it has taken a lot of time. A knee injury in 2005 and a badly sprained foot in 2006 were further setbacks. The latter came on Oct. 2, and Ferguson said this week he wasn't 100 percent healthy until he signed with Minnesota on Aug. 21.

"You just have to give it time to let it heal," Ferguson said.

He only has three receptions for 29 yards through three games, but those are average numbers on the pass-deficient Vikings. Ferguson started last week against the Kansas City Chiefs when Troy Williamson was inactive because of a strained hamstring, and coach Brad Childress said Ferguson has a "full understanding" of the offense after absorbing it for the past five weeks.

With the obvious extra incentive against the Packers, he might be due for a breakout. He hasn't had more than four catches in a game since Dec. 7, 2003. Oh, and Minnesota hasn't had a 100-yard receiver since Williamson last Sept. 17 -- a span of 17 games.

"Hopefully I can get into the offense and get a few more balls my way," Ferguson said.

-----------------------------------------

How many times have we heard this? Something tells me he won't deliver this week either.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we even going to have anyone cover Ferguson?

A waterboy maybe? I don't see why we should waste a defensive player on him.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I hope Fergie is able to make something of his career after years of breakdown and bad luck, history says otherwise, but overall I don't think he was a bad guy.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always liked Fergie.
But he has 3 catches for 29 yards. That means after this week he will have 4 catches for 40 yards. Yup......I'm scared.
I bet Fergie has done GREAT in practice there........after all, he's being covered by Sharper! :lol:

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert Ferguson will be getting his 2nd start with the Vikings this week.

He worked hard for the Packers and battled back from what could easily have been a career ending injury. He played on all special teams and never dogged it.

As a former Packer he is a part of the GREAT story that is the Green Bay Packers.

I don't get the petty shots at a former player who left with class and has never for a single moment ever bad mouthed the Green and Gold.

BTW Ferguson was WIDE OPEN against KC with what would have/should have been an easy TD, but the QB badly overthrew him.

Also, with MN getting Taylor and Peterson as a combo for the first time, Ferguson who was always seen as one of the best blocking WR in the game may (I hope not) make a quiet contribution that will go unnoticed by fans, but not by his teammates if the Queens are successful running the rock.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not bad mouthing Fergie........like i said, i liked the guy. I always hoped he would be big here. He showed flashes, but was never consistant. I wish him well! (Just not against us!)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not bad mouthing Fergie........like i said, i liked the guy. I always hoped he would be big here. He showed flashes, but was never consistant. I wish him well! (Just not against us!)

I am with you 100% cheezy -- I never thought you were bad mouthing Ferguson.

Like you I hope he suffers from cramps or a mild sprain and misses both games against the Packers :)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings... they take our castoffs and then wonder why they cant win anything.

instead of using us as their farm system and taking our aged and injured... why not go out and have a good draft and get a head coach that knows how to say more things than... Do Not Pass Go... Do not collect 200 dollars!.

i dont need to knock our former players on their team... the management gives me so much to work with.

Woodson_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's going to break out, he needs to not be in minn. Course if he does, minn. will trade him before he gets any better, that seems to be the viqueens motto after getting rid of moss and burleson.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:lol: wow Ferg ate it up out there man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the packers are stupid why did they cut him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 0 catches 0 yards 0.0 avg 0 tds

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:lol: wow Ferg ate it up out there man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the packers are stupid why did they cut him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 0 catches 0 yards 0.0 avg 0 tds

yeah, where was he anyhow? Sharper really got owned on that interception that was called back because of a penalty.

I heard he also hurt his foot. He put it in his mouth and bit down too hard.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least Fergie doesn't constantly badmouth GB like Sharper does. But, like others have said, Sharper hasn't done much up there. Nothing to brag about. I laughed so hard when they called that INT back today. You know he wanted that INT soooo bad!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I read the title of this thread (Robert "All Talk" Ferguson) I figured that Fergie had shot his mouth off, like Sharper does, and I was disappointed because he's never been that kind of guy. Then I read the article and saw that Fergie did not trash talk the Packers in any way.

Robert Ferguson put his body on the line for the Green Bay Packers and nearly got his neck broken on one occasion, but things just didn't work out for him. And now you're accusing him of being "all talk" even though he didn't say anything. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Fergie is able to make something of his career after years of breakdown and bad luck, history says otherwise, but overall I don't think he was a bad guy.

He signs autographs and is a nice guy.
I hope he's successful, unless of course playing against us.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts