Crazy… Like A Fox:

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crazy… Like A Fox:

Suddenly it looks like Ted Thompson has some running backs...

By Bruce Smith

Many asked, "Is Ted Thompson crazy going into the '07 season without any talent at running back?" They further questioned his sanity when he and Mike McCarthy stuck with their preseason mantra - "We like our running back corp."

For weeks the hand-wringing over the Packers running game was so extreme that dermatologists needed to work overtime with all the raw hands presenting for treatment. Desperation was leading to calls to sign NFL retreads Cory (I'll wait for the playoffs) Dillion or Ricky (Cheech) Williams to fill the perceived black hole at running back.

After all:

Vernand Morency had never carried the load as a feature back and the questions about his durability seemed prophetic when he went down on the first day of training camp with a serious injury;

Brandon Jackson, was a 21 year old, oft injured, early entry in the draft, who only played three seasons at Nebraska in a tailback rotation;

DeShawn Wynn was seen as an underachieving head case;

And Ryan (who) Grant, a guy who had been hanging out on IR and practice squads with the New York Giants, and who draftniks screamed was a nobody, and that Ted Thompson had gotten his pocket picked when he traded an undisclosed future draft pick for him.

News Update: the competency portion of Thompson's commitment hearing has been canceled, and the Judge is likely to dismiss.

Thrust into the starting lineup 5 weeks ago, Ryan Grant, 6-1 220 lbs, has rattled off three 100 plus yard games. With Kansas City being the only team to hold him down, Ryan followed it with a bounce back monster game against the run stingy Minnesota Vikings. Grant, with 107 carries for 494 yards, a 4.6 yard average and a couple of touchdowns, looks like he has what it takes to be a feature back in the NFL.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Brandon Jackson, 5-10 212 lbs, after a disappointing start has improved to the point that he is stealing 3rd down plays from veteran Vernand Morency. There is every reason to believe that with a year of experience and a full off season of work learning the system and getting stronger that Brandon is going to be significantly better in ’08 and with his good hands may be a great NFL 3rd down back.

As frustrated as fans were with DeShawn Wynn’s bad luck with injuries, the 5-10 232 lb Wynn is cut and flashed something special as a runner when he did play putting up 203 yards on 50 carries for a solid 4.1 average and an impressive 4 TD (one in every 12 carries). With a off-season working with the “Rock” and under the tutelage of Edgar Bennett and he may challenge Grant for significant playing time if he can stay healthy.

Veteran Vernand Morency, 5-10 212 lbs, is suddenly looking like the odd man out. However, his injuries may be taken into consideration when Ted considers what to do with this young man who I believe is slated to be a RFA. He averaged 4.6 yards per carry in ’06, and despite his injury has averaged 4.1 in his limited 17 carries so far in ’07.

None of this is to say that Thompson should get complacent about solidifying the running back positions. It is however, once again proving to many of the GM wannabe’s that Ted just might know what he is taking about when he says, “I like our TE’s… I like our running backs as a group…”

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's taken some time, but the running game is definitely looking better. Jackson does seem like a natural as a third down back. I can see him possibly excelling in that role. He's shown some real flashes.

I'm less optimistic about Wynn than you are. But with better conditioning in the off season, maybe there is hope for him to stay healthy and be a solid contributor.

By the way, Bruce, you've got a repeat of the Wynn photograph where you're supposed to have a picture of Morency. Thanks for visiting the site and posting another good article.

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the running backs' success can be attributed to confidence, and in my opinion that is a direct result from Brett Favre's play. It's similar to the way a Point Guard makes the players around him better.

Grant reminds me a lot of Dorsey Levens. Maybe it's the number on his jersey but that guys is something serious.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the run game is improving due to growing from the oline(growing...from WITHIN?!>?!!?? BLASPHEMY!)

People expecting the pass every time helps too. heheheh

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the run game is improving due to growing from the oline(growing...from WITHIN?!>?!!?? BLASPHEMY!)

C'mon trom, you know that the only way to improve a team is by signing high dollar free agents and trading up in the draft to fill the highest-need positions. Millions of football fans cannot be wrong.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a big Deshawn Wynn guy earlier in the season, but it didn't take long for me to warm up to Ryan Grant. I think next season our running back depth chart should be n this order: Grant, Wynn, Jackson, Herron. I think Morency needs to go, he was decent last year, but now he just seems to be a non contributor.

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

C'mon trom, you know that the only way to improve a team is by signing high dollar free agents and trading up in the draft to fill the highest-need positions. Millions of football fans cannot be wrong.

It works with QB's too not just o-linemen.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BRUCE.

Love your stuff. Always have.

However, There is a rule here ON THIS PACKER FORUM.

Perhaps you have been busy, and been away for a while. But there is a new rule here.

No Discussing Ted Thompson During The Season.

TED is just a G.M. TED has nothing to do with the success of this team during the season, the PLAYERS and COACH are making him look good.

The time to have T.T. Threads is during the off season when he is active in doing his job. During the season we need to post about the team, the coach, and the events week to week.

T.T. Has no effect on what is happening now. He is the off season guy.

NO Ted Thomson threads during the season. OK?

R.P.

i

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
It's taken some time, but the running game is definitely looking better. Jackson does seem like a natural as a third down back. I can see him possibly excelling in that role. He's shown some real flashes.

I'm less optimistic about Wynn than you are. But with better conditioning in the off season, maybe there is hope for him to stay healthy and be a solid contributor.

By the way, Bruce, you've got a repeat of the Wynn photograph where you're supposed to have a picture of Morency. Thanks for visiting the site and posting another good article.

Jackson will benefit from the experience.

Wynn has got that something special as a running back. He worked hard this season, and I am hoping that an off season with the ROCK working on conditioning and focused strength training will help him stay in the game -- he flashes greatness in splurts.

Thanks for the catch on the double photo -- I went back and fixed it.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to hear from you RP.

Actually the article is about the running back Corp. The Ted angle is giving props to what he brought to the table talent wise -- despite all of the hand-wringing and declarations to the contrary.

Technically I said within your rule -- you might note there are pictures of Grant, Jackson, Wynn and Morency, but no picture of TT. 8)

Raider Pride said:
BRUCE.

Love your stuff. Always have.

However, There is a rule here ON THIS PACKER FORUM.

Perhaps you have been busy, and been away for a while. But there is a new rule here.

No Discussing Ted Thompson During The Season.

TED is just a G.M. TED has nothing to do with the success of this team during the season, the PLAYERS and COACH are making him look good.

The time to have T.T. Threads is during the off season when he is active in doing his job. During the season we need to post about the team, the coach, and the events week to week.

T.T. Has no effect on what is happening now. He is the off season guy.

NO Ted Thomson threads during the season. OK?

R.P.

i

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

People expecting the pass every time helps too. heheheh

While I will not disagree that the Oline has picked up there play and helped the run game along, Grant and his vision to see the cutback lanes and holes is a huge upgrade from the performance of the backs early in the year.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see one legitimate RB out of those you listed, Ryan Grant.

I think Colledge and Spitz are still somewhat suspect on the O-Line.

This will be a good test in Dallas to see how the running game goes.

I think the pass has been helping the running game against weaker teams in the NFL, or when the defense is worn out and gassed.

We will see this week.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's week 13. Tests are over. The results are in, and the results are: The Packers are a good team with a good defense, great pass attack, and adequate running game.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:

It's week 13. Tests are over. The results are in, and the results are: The Packers are a good team with a good defense, great pass attack, and adequate running game.

I agree with this. The Packers are probably the #2 seed at least in the NFC. #1 if they win this game. Tests are over. They've past them. Now it's time to go to work.

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with ryan grant holding a undisclosed draft pick what does that mean is there stipulations on his yards or playing time or do they just end up working somthing out with the giants

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce - wonderful writing as always.

3 things:
1) I take back what I said about Brandon Jackson. I no longer think he's a bust, and do think he'll be a good 3rd down back in a short amount of time.
2) I really hope Wynn stays healthy. I'd love to see us have in this order - Grant, Wynn, B-Jack, and either Mo or Herron. Herron's on IR and I liked his playing when he played.
3) I don't know how the TEs got in there, but I really don't like having only 2 TEs. I have a very strong feeling TT will address this next year and draft or pick up another TE, and I doubt we'll go into '08 with only 2 TEs again.

If there's one thing I learned about TT, he realizes when he makes a mistake and does his best to correct it. Having 2 TEs was a mistake. We'll have 3 next year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I respectfully disagree. I don't see Grant getting too many holes. I'd be more willing to give the credit to Ryan Grant.

Watch Ryan Grant closely. They'll be a tiny hole, only big enough for a duck to get through. He'll still hit it, and some DL or LB will have a good hold on Grant. Grant's legs will keep charging forward and the defender would simply fall off and Grant will barrel into the next guy, charge forward, and end up with a six yard run that should have been a no gain.

Grant is the man. I guarantee you the Giants are kicking themselves for only getting a 6th for him.

In the off-season, TT will address our OL. Its pass protection is good, but I'm not content at all with our run blocking.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i remember the one play the other week they showed on espn all week, there was a lineman down the field blocking. it was sweet.

FromIrving

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant is the man. I guarantee you the Giants are kicking themselves for only getting a 6th for him.

Everything I have read says that it is a conditional pick and has not been determined yet. It is going to be based on Grant's production.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty 99% positive it's a 6th round pick.

Yes, it's a 6th round pick. There was some confusion about it when it was first reported, as somebody reported that it was a conditional pick, but it was soon learned that it was a 6th rounder.

Members online

Latest posts