Counting on Fergie?

Reaction score
He's being paid too much to play Special Teams or to play slot.

Jennings is our most natural receiver.
Holiday is always open and has shown the ability to hold on.
Ruvell Martin has great focus.
Bodiford sacrifices himself for the ball.

Fergie... is just dead money. I want to see him succeed, but the other young guys are gonna need their shot too.

I'm a bit surprised you can say that about Bodiford seeing as we barely saw him in action last season, he went on the IR during a game shortly after he was signed.

As for Bodiford, Holliday, Martin, and Jennings, these players are all REALLY young. Holliday himself is a converted WR, he played QB in college if I'm not mistaken.

Packers desperately need veteran leadership, someone besides Driver. Robinson is in jail, so Ferggy really fits the bill here. He has a great work-ethic, and if nothing else he can get the other WRs mentioned above to improve their work ethics.

Ferggy's value shouldn't be determined just by what he does on-field. He is a great leader, and a teammate that others enjoy having around.

How many players, in today's NFL, would have *****ed and moaned after getting beat by a rookie for the #2 spot? Ferggy was upset, but he never did anything that would be distracting just because he wasn't the #2 WR. He supported Jennings.

He is only 27. He may be overpayed, but with the increases in salary cap that the NFL has had, and will have again next season, the overpaying will be short lived.

Plus, it isn't as if Ferggy being overpayed is really hurting the Packers cap wise. 15+ million in cap space, I think they can afford to overpay a player or two.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So he didn't complain because a rookie was better than he was; henceforth, we should keep him? That's great logic.

Sure he's got a great work ethic and he's a team, guy but doesn't deliver and is overpaid. Those aren't good examples and hoping for inflation to eventually bring his pay scale back in line, well, again, great logic.

Cut him.

Reaction score
So he didn't complain because a rookie was better than he was; henceforth, we should keep him? That's great logic.

The main point was that he wasn't a cancer, rather a team guy. You can't ever have too many people that put the team before themselves.

Sure he's got a great work ethic and he's a team, guy but doesn't deliver and is overpaid. Those aren't good examples and hoping for inflation to eventually bring his pay scale back in line, well, again, great logic.

NFL salary caps are rising. People like Ferggy, as all other NFL players, will see their contracts increase consequently.

Hoping for inflation? Er it already happened this past year, and judging by this it'll happen next year again when the cap rises another 7 million or so.

Woodson got a huge contract last season. After comparing it to CB Nate Clements, it doesn't really look that huge anymore, does it?

Fact is that Ferggy brings more to the table, he brings qualities that this young team NEEDS. He is still young enough to make a difference (he'll just be coming into the prime of his career).

Him being overpaid isn't making things difficult for the Packers cap wise. It isn't as if him 2 million or so is restricting us in signing other players.

IF he fails, he'll be cut in TC. Simple as that. Until then, he deserves a chance.

davepyne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson hasn't earned the money he was paid because of injuries and the fact that he wasn't QUITE as good as expected, but that's how it goes. He's not as overpaid as a free agent WR would be if we picked one up. I agree that Ruvell Martin is a talented WR who may become a big part of our offense, but that remains to be seen. As for Holiday and Bodiford I don't know. I don't think we've seen enough of them to say weather they are better or worse than Ferguson. As for talk that Ferguson is afraid of taking a hit and getting physical, that's just not true. He plays as tough as he ever has. If he was afraid of getting hit he wouldn't be in this league.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a Fergy fan but, like MM, I'm willing to give him a chance in camp. He should, however, be on a short leash. I doubt that many other teams would have given him 6 yrs. as we have. It's fish or cut bait in this league. We have, IMO, a group of fine young WRs who also deserve a full chance to shine. I don't want ANYONE on this team by default. If only two of that group step up, we'll have all we need. Frankly, I still believe that Fergy is on our "trade" list in case it's needed.