Could Brett Favre still play?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
does anyone believe any over the hill retired ex jock when they say they could still play?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd love to see him come back and play ... for the Bears.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After giving this some more thought I think he could make an NFL roster. He was better than what the Cardinals had starting last season at one point.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd probably start for the Bears.

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be a star in the new Senior NFL
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
I think he could still play effectively..
Division III college
Bad mitten
Girls
Bench
As a seasonal fill in

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no one actually believes him when he says that right?

He probably still has a better than average arm, but it's usually the legs that go first.

In his last year in the NFL, he was awful. It's not likely getting older has changed that.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh at the NFL level? Probably not. He might be able to help a team or two with really lousy starting QBs. Certainly not at a championship level. And all this is speculation - I have no idea what he does to stay in shape.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his last year in the NFL, he was awful. It's not likely getting older has changed that.
That wasn't because of diminished skills, it was because he didn't care anymore. He already proved that he could beat the Packers and the Vikings begged him to come back. He was treated like a king and he put in zero effort.

Could Favre play in the league right now, I have no doubt that he could given the proper motivation. He's still in shape and can likely still throw the ball well and diagnose defenses. What I seriously doubt he could do now is take the hits. Reading that article about the 1995 season and how he felt on Mondays when he was in his 20s, makes me think there is no way the Silver Fox is getting out of bed after Week 4 or 5.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read his comments with the context they were given and he wasn't saying he'd come back and lead a team to a title. he said he could make all the throws, but couldn't throw as far. He also qualified and said he couldn't come back and lead a team. I think he knows exactly what he's capable of. I'm sure if he wasn't getting hit every play, he could come back in under very favorable circumstances and still be pretty effective. Just like every other ex player, they could probably hang for a couple weeks maybe, but the demand of a season would take it's toll. They know that, it's why the greats end up retiring, but could they still line up and play for a game? probably

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if he could still play but I did find this interesting regarding his 297 game streak.

from NFL.COM

Take Derek Carr, who started all 16 games as a rookie. The Raiders sophomore has the jump on Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater, who also started as rookies, but not from Day 1. In fact, Carr has a head start on Favre, as well -- the 11-time Pro Bowler and three-time NFL MVP didn't get the starting nod until Week 4 of his sophomore campaign. So now all Carr needs to do to eclipse Favre's mark is not miss a game -- or slump badly enough to get benched -- until about midway through the 2032 season. If all goes well, he'll be 41 by the time he breaks it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if he could still play but I did find this interesting regarding his 297 game streak.

from NFL.COM

Take Derek Carr, who started all 16 games as a rookie. The Raiders sophomore has the jump on Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater, who also started as rookies, but not from Day 1. In fact, Carr has a head start on Favre, as well -- the 11-time Pro Bowler and three-time NFL MVP didn't get the starting nod until Week 4 of his sophomore campaign. So now all Carr needs to do to eclipse Favre's mark is not miss a game -- or slump badly enough to get benched -- until about midway through the 2032 season. If all goes well, he'll be 41 by the time he breaks it.
That certainly adds a little perspective to that streak. It was amazing how durable he was despite getting hit that much.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could undoubtedly play for one game. No way he could stand up to the grind of multiple games much less a full season.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I play pick up basketball with my mid-twenties years old son and his buddies (because golf isn't a sport in my book - if you don't sweat and bleed, it's not a sport)...and get bounced around pretty good. That doesn't stop me from giving it back to the young f'ers who STILL get out of my way when I come down the lane with a full head of steam. They KNOW I'm crazy and that I don't know I'm too f'n old to be knocking heads with them, but they know that I don't care and will take them down WITH me.

Whomever said that Brett's statement was minced, sliced and diced out of context hit it right on the head. The folks who are so anti-Favre remind me of the internet trolls who follow up in the news sites regarding ANY news story and turn it into a partisan pis#ing match. I marvel at their ignorance of the process, but they're there...regurgitating the defective information they've picked up from an equally brain dead political blogger.

Favre simply said that he believes he could still play -- didn't say he'd play well or even that he WOULD play. He said he could play. Much the same way that in my 50's I can play ball with my son and his buddies. I can't play as well as I once did ... and I come out beat to s*it ...and my knee and ankles throb ... but, I can still play. He will say that until he's 70's because if you're once a competitor, you're always a competitor ... always ...

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I play pick up basketball with my mid-twenties years old son and his buddies (because golf isn't a sport in my book - if you don't sweat and bleed, it's not a sport)...and get bounced around pretty good. That doesn't stop me from giving it back to the young f'ers who STILL get out of my way when I come down the lane with a full head of steam. They KNOW I'm crazy and that I don't know I'm too f'n old to be knocking heads with them, but they know that I don't care and will take them down WITH me.

Whomever said that Brett's statement was minced, sliced and diced out of context hit it right on the head. The folks who are so anti-Favre remind me of the internet trolls who follow up in the news sites regarding ANY news story and turn it into a partisan pis#ing match. I marvel at their ignorance of the process, but they're there...regurgitating the defective information they've picked up from an equally brain dead political blogger.

Favre simply said that he believes he could still play -- didn't say he'd play well or even that he WOULD play. He said he could play. Much the same way that in my 50's I can play ball with my son and his buddies. I can't play as well as I once did ... and I come out beat to s*it ...and my knee and ankles throb ... but, I can still play. He will say that until he's 70's because if you're once a competitor, you're always a competitor ... always ...

Okay, you DID hit me over the head with THAT one. He said in one of the interviews last night, he was happy to play, he wasn`t happy to train, and there is the rub !. I don`t like sitting a Department of transport x-ray test every year (24 years to be exact), but it is a REQUIREMENT of my job. It was his JOB. It was his duty to work with receivers and running backs etc, to finely tune a winning team. I`m sorry but that's why I dislike the man. He thought he was bigger than the TEAM.

Last edited by a moderator:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, you DID hit me over the head with THAT one. He said in one of the interviews last night, he was happy to play, he wasn`t happy to train, and there is the rub !. I don`t like sitting a Department of transport x-ray test every year (24 years to be exact), but it is a REQUIREMENT of my job. It was his JOB. It was his duty to work with receivers and running backs etc, to finely tune a winning team. I`m sorry but that's why I dislike the man. He thought he was bigger than the TEAM.
More of the same hating. His number is retired, he's in the GB HOF and soon will be in the NFL HOF. Enough said.

***** about something else that's relative and makes sense.

I

More of the same hating. His number is retired, he's in the GB HOF and soon will be in the NFL HOF. Enough said.

***** about something else that's relative and makes sense.

BURP

And more of the same Crap from you too. Burp makes sense ?? Sure.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was mentioned numerous times last night that, not only did Brett never miss a game in GB, he also never missed a practice, meeting or any other team function. Bottom line, the man was accountable for 16 seasons. My guess would be the reference to his lack of enthusiasm for training involves the offseason conditioning needed in today's NFL.

I

It was mentioned numerous times last night that, not only did Brett never miss a game in GB, he also never missed a practice, meeting or any other team function. Bottom line, the man was accountable for 16 seasons. My guess would be the reference to his lack of enthusiasm for training involves the offseason conditioning needed in today's NFL.

Thank you. I was only quoting what I heard. (from his own mouth !)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

he missed a pre season game

Told the story how he was at home because it wa suppose to rain real hard or storm..He got a called from Darell Bevell who was a big Mormon man and swore at him..Then when he got to the stadium Sherman yelled at him

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a vague recollection of that game. It was against the Titans and a lightning storm forced the evacuation of the stadium and caused a long delay. If I remember correctly, Favre wasn't even supposed play that evening and may not have dressed for the game. He left the stadium because he thought the game was going to be cancelled, only to find out it was eventually completed at 3AM. A definite faux pas, but not a big deal.

Members online

Latest posts