Congrats to the GB #1 Run Defense

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Packers have the #1 run defense in the league and also set a team record for yards per game average against the run! We also have the best turnover ratio in the league with + 24!!!.

"By holding the Arizona Cardinals to just 48 yards rushing in a 33-7 victory on Sunday in the regular-season finale, the Packers put themselves first in two significant places.

First, they finished No. 1 in the league in run defense, allowing 1,333 yards on the season, an average of 83.3 per game.

Second, that per-game average set a new franchise record, besting the 85.2 allowed (1,363 yards) in 1994."

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the team story of the year, more I think than what Aaron Rodgers has done. Only a championship would top it.

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, considering how atrocious our D was last year. What a story, from worst to first! Thank you MM for making the difficult decision to fire nearly the entire defensive staff and bring in Dom Capers who has done overall an excellent job this year for us defensively. It's great to see the players believe in the new system and put it into practice on the field. Not only are they making it work, but they have excelled at it and become one of the best Defenses in the league! This is a HELL of a story!!

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a huge record, hope our defensive will play in the playoffs as solid as in the regular season. But I'm still a little bit concerned about our passing defense after the Steelers game...

OP
OP
Murgen

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Our passing is ranked 5th, not too bad. But our scoring Defense is I think pretty low still.

My biggest concern is our pass rush. The only pass rushers we got are Matthews and Jones and our Blitz packages. I wish we could get some pressure from our front 3 more. Matthews kind of replaced the slot Kampman was going to fill. So we lucked out there.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having this kind of defense will be a big advantage going into the playoffs, vikings will not even recognize this team, we have come along way since we played them (if that happens). Truly I think the Pack has a chance to beat any team this year in the NFC to get to the Super Bowl. I was fearful of the Eagles, but after Sunday I don't know what to think.

I think we can put pressure on the QB if Capers chooses to, I think at times during the season he does not have 100% faith in our secondary when faced with a veteran QB who has a quick release.

My prediction for the player that is going to come into his own in the playoffs will be Brad Jones (second choice will be Bigby)at outside LB. If he comes into his own with a pass rush, wow our defense will be hard to score against with Mathews on the other side who has already proven he is a threat.

With all the awards and great stats our defense has accomplished this year, along with their continued great play I still think it will come down to the O-line and special teams performance that will determine if we make a good play off run.

We have to protect the QB and I can't help but remember how much Desmond Howard made a difference for Green Bay years ago along with the special teams play that year. We had a good defense that year too.

I just want to win next Sunday, and either way I love who we play next, great to see a rematch against the vikings and I live in Pensacola, so a trip to New Orleans will be booked if that is the next step, can't get tickets but sitting in a bar with Saints and Packers fans will too much fun. Go Pack

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our passing is ranked 5th, not too bad. But our scoring Defense is I think pretty low still.

My biggest concern is our pass rush. The only pass rushers we got are Matthews and Jones and our Blitz packages. I wish we could get some pressure from our front 3 more. Matthews kind of replaced the slot Kampman was going to fill. So we lucked out there.

Barnett is looking good. He has come in on a few suprise blitzs' lately. He is playing fast! So glad he doesnt appear to be negatively affected by that knee injury.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
The D is stacked... i would just feel alot more comfortable knowing Al Harris was at the other corner spot during the playoffs... Bush and Tramon better step up! Congrats to the Packers D... it is sad that no one is even taking a second look at the Pack... all the attention is on Dallas... its ok... we will creep up and sneak them real quick! Go Pack!

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least, when in 2-3 weeks, the attention will be on the packers! we'll see, but with this team, everything is possible... even a sb!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doing good agains the run.
Now they just have to do really good on pass plays.
Especially if we end up taking on Brent and the Queens.

Members online

Latest posts