1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Compensatory Picks Announced

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NelsonsLongCatch, Mar 23, 2015.

1. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +844
    The Packers will be awarded two 6th Round Picks to compensate for the loss of C Scott Wells and WR James Jones.

2. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +453
    I think we are likely to get a 4th and 5th next year for the two CB's we lost.

3. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,066
    James Jones is only worth a 6th? Scott Wells? Didn't he leave years ago?

4. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    Wasnt it for Evan Dietrich-Smith?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +929
    I'm sorry, gang, but I just can't get so excited about comp picks as others, especially when they're at the back end of the draft.

6. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    johnny jolly, desmond bishop, mason crosby, james starks... some decent guys to be found in the 6th :) more picks is always nice, but yeah, 6th rounders is kinda ho-hum.

7. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,066
    Where is the comp pick for Newhouse!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +929
    That sums it up for me; could be a bonus, but I don't expect anything from them.
    Just read why the Packers didn't get a pick for Newhouse.It seems the Packers, Steelers and another team were entitled to one more comp pick but that the bargaining agreement of 32 comp picks in the draft had been reached.

9. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    Yes.

10. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,066
    IDK about this formula they use. The Patriots get a 3rd round pick? I don't remember them losing anyone amazing.

11. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    With the comp picks awarded, here are the Packers' picks overall:
    • No. 30 (1st)
    • No. 62 (2nd)
    • No. 94 (3rd)
    • No. 129 (4th)
    • No. 166 (5th)
    • No. 205 206 (6th)
    • No. 210 (6th)
    • No. 212 213 (6th)
    • No. 247 (7th)
    Changes due to the NFL's errors in calculating compensatory picks.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
  13. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Our comp picks and the completely stacked roster we currently have, I believe are the reasons Ted Thompson has been moving up in the draft in recent years. We can not trade these comp picks... So it seems better at this point to go for quality over quantity. Then we have the comp picks for Thompson to get his quantity besides...

14. Voltron

Voltron Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +72
    Tom Brady was a 6 rounder.... You never know what you may get.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Uhh, lots of gems and starters have been drafted over the years toward the back end of the draft by numerous teams. The picks are important.

16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,595
    Thompson has made one trade to move up during the last two drafts when he traded a fifth- and a sixth-round pick to Denver to select Johnathan Franklin in the fourth round of the 2013 draft. Unfortunately this pick didn´t work out because he suffered a career-ending injury.

17. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Any guess on what we get for Tramon and House next year Captain? two 4ths?

18. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,595
    It´s still too early to make an educated guess about it as free agency is still running but if the Packers don´t make any moves I would expect them to receive two fourth-round picks.

19. bigbubbatd

bigbubbatd Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +321
    Two 4th next year is what I saw predicted in article. That would be pretty impressive.

20. Luca

Luca Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +127
    We just missed out on a compensatory pick for C.J. Wilson. It is also noticeable that Marshall Newhouse apparently did not qualify for a compensatory pick.

"The NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement limits the number of compensatory picks to the number of clubs then in the league (32). This year, three clubs – Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Green Bay – qualified for compensatory picks under the net loss formula but will not receive those picks because they ranked 33rd, 34th and 35th, respectively, among all compensatory picks."

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +929
    True...and lots more haven't. My point is, it seems to get way more importance attached to it than it deserves. The biggest reason it's not a focus for me is you never know till they're announced what -if anything- you're getting.
    Was it last year or the year before, when we got the 2nd highest comp pick you can get at #98? Now that was a big deal.
    Actually, come to think of it, what bothers me the most is the perception that you'd pass on a proven player in FA in the hope of getting a late round comp pick that you don't even know you'll get.

22. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +844
    HAHAHAHA.... I'm sorry. It was EDS, not Scott Wells. I mixed up my former Packer centers.

23. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,066
    They need to adjust the rules on this. The Pats are clearly signing guys to 1 year deals and letting them go and picking up high picks. They are going to get another 3 for Revis and that is really not the spirit of this compensation allowance. This needs to be reserved for players on rookie deals or that have played for the team for at least 4/5 years. You absolutely should not be allowed to sign a free agent yourself and flip him into a 3rd round pick in 1 year.

The Lions should get a really nice pick because they lost Suh who was their homegrown player. The Pats getting a 3rd round pick for Revis is a joke.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if any teams used this sort of strategy. Revis is a great example, and it's no surprise it would benefit the Patriots of all teams. Totally agree with you. THough I guess they could only do that sort of thing every other year, which balances it out a little bit.

25. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,595
    Well, the league should just make no difference between signing unrestricted free agents and players who were cut by their former teams. The Patriots only got a third-round pick in this year´s draft for losing Aqib Talib during the 2014 offseason because the Buccaneers released Revis before he signed with the Patriots.