Compensatory Picks Announced

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we are likely to get a 4th and 5th next year for the two CB's we lost.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, gang, but I just can't get so excited about comp picks as others, especially when they're at the back end of the draft.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny jolly, desmond bishop, mason crosby, james starks... some decent guys to be found in the 6th :) more picks is always nice, but yeah, 6th rounders is kinda ho-hum.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny jolly, desmond bishop, mason crosby, james starks... some decent guys to be found in the 6th :) more picks is always nice, but yeah, 6th rounders is kinda ho-hum.

That sums it up for me; could be a bonus, but I don't expect anything from them.
Just read why the Packers didn't get a pick for Newhouse.It seems the Packers, Steelers and another team were entitled to one more comp pick but that the bargaining agreement of 32 comp picks in the draft had been reached.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IDK about this formula they use. The Patriots get a 3rd round pick? I don't remember them losing anyone amazing.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
With the comp picks awarded, here are the Packers' picks overall:
  • No. 30 (1st)
  • No. 62 (2nd)
  • No. 94 (3rd)
  • No. 129 (4th)
  • No. 166 (5th)
  • No. 205 206 (6th)
  • No. 210 (6th)
  • No. 212 213 (6th)
  • No. 247 (7th)
Changes due to the NFL's errors in calculating compensatory picks.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our comp picks and the completely stacked roster we currently have, I believe are the reasons Ted Thompson has been moving up in the draft in recent years. We can not trade these comp picks... So it seems better at this point to go for quality over quantity. Then we have the comp picks for Thompson to get his quantity besides...

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, gang, but I just can't get so excited about comp picks as others, especially when they're at the back end of the draft.

Uhh, lots of gems and starters have been drafted over the years toward the back end of the draft by numerous teams. The picks are important.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our comp picks and the completely stacked roster we currently have, I believe are the reasons Ted Thompson has been moving up in the draft in recent years. We can not trade these comp picks... So it seems better at this point to go for quality over quantity. Then we have the comp picks for Thompson to get his quantity besides...

Thompson has made one trade to move up during the last two drafts when he traded a fifth- and a sixth-round pick to Denver to select Johnathan Franklin in the fourth round of the 2013 draft. Unfortunately this pick didn´t work out because he suffered a career-ending injury.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any guess on what we get for Tramon and House next year Captain? two 4ths?

D

Deleted member 6794

Any guess on what we get for Tramon and House next year Captain? two 4ths?

It´s still too early to make an educated guess about it as free agency is still running but if the Packers don´t make any moves I would expect them to receive two fourth-round picks.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two 4th next year is what I saw predicted in article. That would be pretty impressive.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just missed out on a compensatory pick for C.J. Wilson. It is also noticeable that Marshall Newhouse apparently did not qualify for a compensatory pick.

"The NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement limits the number of compensatory picks to the number of clubs then in the league (32). This year, three clubs – Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Green Bay – qualified for compensatory picks under the net loss formula but will not receive those picks because they ranked 33rd, 34th and 35th, respectively, among all compensatory picks."

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhh, lots of gems and starters have been drafted over the years toward the back end of the draft by numerous teams. The picks are important.

True...and lots more haven't. My point is, it seems to get way more importance attached to it than it deserves. The biggest reason it's not a focus for me is you never know till they're announced what -if anything- you're getting.
Was it last year or the year before, when we got the 2nd highest comp pick you can get at #98? Now that was a big deal.
Actually, come to think of it, what bothers me the most is the perception that you'd pass on a proven player in FA in the hope of getting a late round comp pick that you don't even know you'll get.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to adjust the rules on this. The Pats are clearly signing guys to 1 year deals and letting them go and picking up high picks. They are going to get another 3 for Revis and that is really not the spirit of this compensation allowance. This needs to be reserved for players on rookie deals or that have played for the team for at least 4/5 years. You absolutely should not be allowed to sign a free agent yourself and flip him into a 3rd round pick in 1 year.

The Lions should get a really nice pick because they lost Suh who was their homegrown player. The Pats getting a 3rd round pick for Revis is a joke.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to adjust the rules on this. The Pats are clearly signing guys to 1 year deals and letting them go and picking up high picks. They are going to get another 3 for Revis and that is really not the spirit of this compensation allowance. This needs to be reserved for players on rookie deals or that have played for the team for at least 4/5 years. You absolutely should not be allowed to sign a free agent yourself and flip him into a 3rd round pick in 1 year.

The Lions should get a really nice pick because they lost Suh who was their homegrown player. The Pats getting a 3rd round pick for Revis is a joke.

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if any teams used this sort of strategy. Revis is a great example, and it's no surprise it would benefit the Patriots of all teams. Totally agree with you. THough I guess they could only do that sort of thing every other year, which balances it out a little bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, the league should just make no difference between signing unrestricted free agents and players who were cut by their former teams. The Patriots only got a third-round pick in this year´s draft for losing Aqib Talib during the 2014 offseason because the Buccaneers released Revis before he signed with the Patriots.

Staff online

Latest posts