1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Clements Going to the Booth

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by HardRightEdge, Aug 7, 2014.

1. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,408
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/270330281.html

"I’ll be able to see better. What’s happening," Clements said. "When I was down on the field, I kind of just watched the secondary. But I’ll be able to see the overall operation a little bit more and hopefully be a little bit more helpful."

No kidding. And while he's up there he should call the plays. McCarthy calling plays from the sidelines is an unnecessary handicap. Whatever deep insights McCarthy might have about the operation of the offense or the tendencies of the defense is neutralized (and then some) by not being able to see sh*t.

Nobody should call plays from the sidelines unless it's a relay for appearance sake.

2. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,031
    I think McCarthy has done pretty well calling plays from the sidelines – over the past 5 seasons his offenses have averaged 5th in scoring in the league averaging about 28 points per game. And I’m sure he’s had input from a coach upstairs regarding what the defense is doing, but I agree it’s a good idea to have the OC in the coach’s booth. What I would really like to see this season is Rodgers making a lot more of the play calls. That’s the best way to take advantage of the no huddle – no need to wait for signals from the sidelines and Rodgers has first-hand knowledge of what the D is doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,457
    By this point in his career, he should have that option.

4. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,408
    If you've stood on the sidelines at a football game you know you can't see jack as Clements' comment indicate. You're stuck relying on down, distance and film work. You can't react well to what the defense might be doing that is unexpected. Rodgers makes plenty of his own calls in no huddle, if not all of them. As he should.

5. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Clearly, based on the offensive production under McCarthy, the play calling has been working out.

6. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,031
    I have and you’re right. That’s why I’m sure McCarthy gets input from someone in the coaching booth. If he didn’t I don’t think we would have seen the results we have.
    He does, that’s why I posted I’d like to see him “making a lot more of the play calls.” Even in the “muddle huddle”. He’s extremely bright and IMO disciplined enough to run the ball enough to keep the D off balance.