1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Changing of the guard on the DL

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Jun 29, 2014.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,426
    You haven´t provided any evidence that would suggest playing a different scheme would result in better numbers for the defense. The only thing you have done is provide some information about the percentages of teams lining up in a 2-4 formation (wherever you´ve got them from), in the process listing five teams that play a 4-3 defense and not providing any information about nine other 3-4 defenses.

In addition you still haven´t answered my simple question about how you would cover either the TE or RB lining up with only one ILB.

I have criticized Capers in the past and I´m not convinced it was the right move to hold on to him this offseason, but your obsession with the 2-4 formation being the only reason for the defensive shortcomings is getting more and more ridiculous with each of your posts.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. wist43

wist43 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +56
    As I said, if I didn't list a team, it is b/c they didn't play any 2-4 or 3-3.

Since we play far more 2-4 than any team in the league, and we have one of the worst defenses in the league - perhaps there is a correlation??

The sad reality is - it would be hard to produce any worse results running any other scheme, b/c afterall - we do, in fact, have one of the worst defenses in the league.

If you want to continue to try and defend that - have at it.

You didn't ask me how I would defend a TE and RB with only 1 ILB - you asked me how I would defend them with no ILB's. So I answered your question by saying that I would have a LB in the middle - and if you looked at the links I provided, I gave examples of how Capers used the 2-4 in the past to bring pressure with Matthews coming on the blitz from the ILB position.

I also gave you examples of how Matthews dropped into coverage and we ended up with a sack by disguising the front and blitzing from the other side.

You've chosen to ignore all of that, and march forward as obtuse as you can be.

The 2-4 isn't the only reason we've labored on defense. Injuries are a valid excuse to some extent; the constant influx of youth over experience certainly plays a huge role; etc.

But the 2-4 is the biggest outlier. I've demonstrated that very effectively.

What is ridiculous is your, and every other rube on this forum being so drunk with Green and Gold Kool-Aid that you can't objectively analyze your team.

We're done here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,024
    No you haven’t. For example, you haven’t dealt with how effective it was in 2010.
    This is a good example of the immature child who can’t handle others disagreeing with him.
    We aren’t. You are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +280
    I'm not letting them totally off the hook...but the D was on the field significantly more when Rodgers when out

5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,426
    It´s true the defense was on the field more often once Rodgers got hurt, but it´s not as significant as you might think (31:28 per game when Rodgers was out compared to 27:31 when he played).

6. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +280
    How many seconds does it take to score? Defense out there for 4 more minutes is a scoring drive

7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,426
    They were out there for four more minutes because they couldn´t stop anybody though, not necessarily because Rodgers was hurt.

8. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +280
    You just gave me a stat w rodgers out showing an additional 4 minutes playtime for the d...you cannot say his absence didn't effect the d...I understand both were involved, but jeez ur getting stubborn on me

9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,426
    I just think that Rodgers´ injury shouldn´t be considered the main reason for the defense´s downfall in the second half of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1