Can the Packers select Jeff Samardja in supplemental draft?

Reaction score
Question: Is Jeff Samardja eligible to be taken in the supplemental draft? (Since he went undrafted, no NFL team currently has his rights)

If Samardja is eligible, do you think the Packers should use a supplemental draft pick on him?

I read on PFT that he is struggling with his baseball career in Class-A. He might have a change of heart about playing in the NFL, and he definitely has some skill.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just talked with our sports director, his answer is that if he went undrafted, any team that is interested can sign him as an undrafted free agent.

What kind of contract did he sign for baseball, even if he is struggling if it is more money than anyone will offer him in the NFL, he might have second thoughts about leaving baseball.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he'd have to apply to enter the supplemental draft, hes better off negociating a free agent contract which he wont cos hes content with playing stickball.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Can the Packers select Jeff Samardja in supplemental dra

I'd draft him, but if he has any chance at being a major leage pitcher v.s. a NFL WR, that choice is a no brainer.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
work one night a week for under an hour throwing a ball at someone for millions?

or

get robert fergusoned for millions...?

by the way thats my new word for the season... any time someone gets destroyed on the field this year... he got fergusoned! any time someone fails to live up to their potential.. hes a total ferguson. feel free to use it and tinker with it as you please... its a very versatile word.

this post is pretty fergy i know that

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
by the way thats my new word for the season... any time someone gets destroyed on the field this year... he got fergusoned! any time someone fails to live up to their potential.. hes a total ferguson. feel free to use it and tinker with it as you please... its a very versatile word.

Been listening to Mike & Mike to much in the morning hey :)

Those two knuckle-heads were making new words up this week....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard him say he wasnt going to try the NFL..As someone already mentioned, he was worried about not have a guarantee contract in the NFL then getting hurt and his career is over..

Where as in baseball he was getting paid no matter what..And he can last lot longer in the MBL, that also had a part in his choice not to go to the NFL.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, are baseball contracts like the one Samardzija signed guaranteed? If not, and getting paid $10 million for performance like an 0-5 record with a 5.40 ERA at the Class A level, he may not have the choice as to his playing baseball in the future or not.

As to his status, I believe that Tiger is correct in that he's now an undrafted free agent that any team can negotiate with and sign.

Pack93z

Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, are baseball contracts like the one Samardzija signed guaranteed? If not, and getting paid $10 million for performance like an 0-5 record with a 5.40 ERA at the Class A level, he may not have the choice as to his playing baseball in the future or not.

As to his status, I believe that Tiger is correct in that he's now an undrafted free agent that any team can negotiate with and sign.

Yes his contract is guaranteed... Cubs are on the hook for the deal.. silly move on the Cubbies part IMO after a couple of years away from horking the ball 90 feet... But that is why they are the Cubs :)

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
But see, my thing is that if he won't sign, what's the harm in just getting his rights? You draft him, and leave it at that.

If he does eventually decide he wants to go back to the NFL, having his rights wouldn't be such a terrible thing.

Pack93z

Reaction score
He already went through the draft process this year as a senior... he would have to reapply... so for him it is a FA contract only. Unless no one signs him through the 08 draft... could have burned a 7th in april on him :(

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

....... could have burned a 7th in april on him.

Or, we could have traded down a 7th for a couple of 8ths or 9ths and picked him up then. The really smart GMs know that the best value is in quantity, not quality. :thumbsup:

Oh, and before the entire TT Fan Club gets their ******* in a bundle, I was just joking. Really I was. :rotflmao:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pack93z said:
....... could have burned a 7th in april on him.

Or, we could have traded down a 7th for a couple of 8ths or 9ths and picked him up then. The really smart GMs know that the best value is in quantity, not quality. :thumbsup:

Oh, and before the entire TT Fan Club gets their ******* in a bundle, I was just joking. Really I was. :rotflmao:
(Dang ******* are creaping up on me!)LOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It is a guaranteed contract, but Jeff agreed on giving his 2.5 million dollar signing bonus back if he ever wanted to return to football. He said he has no intentions of that though.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2.5 mill.......he'd be a fool to give that back.
Let them cut him, then he can keep it.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the Class A level they aren't worried too much about stats with pitchers.

They're more worried about velocity / location / working on breaking pitches and things like that.

There's a lot more money to be made in baseball, so he made the right choice. As long as he doesn't tank of course.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
At the Class A level they aren't worried too much about stats with pitchers.

They're more worried about velocity / location / working on breaking pitches and things like that.

There's a lot more money to be made in baseball, so he made the right choice. As long as he doesn't tank of course.
Yup. Tanking it is the only way he can come out a loser in this deal.
And you are right, they can make more money and have alot longer career in baseball.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was me, I would pick football without thinking about it, but I saw a video and he said that baseball was something he loves. If he wanted to do football though he is talented, but worth the chance of a player that doesn't want to play, I dont know.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Toronto_Cheesehead said:

It is a guaranteed contract, but Jeff agreed on giving his 2.5 million dollar signing bonus back if he ever wanted to return to football. He said he has no intentions of that though.

I recall him saying that as well

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Been listening to Mike & Mike to much in the morning hey :)

Those two knuckle-heads were making new words up this week....

Now that is just redunculous!

Pack93z

Reaction score
Now that is just redunculous!

With a C or a K? Those two get more out of nothing than anyone else I know... Now they are hosting MNF?

Michael McCarthy of USA Today reports that ESPN will assign morning radio hosts Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic to work the back half of the Monday Night Football season-opening doubleheader.

Ought to be entertaining...

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With a C or a K? Those two get more out of nothing than anyone else I know... Now they are hosting MNF?

Michael McCarthy of USA Today reports that ESPN will assign morning radio hosts Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic to work the back half of the Monday Night Football season-opening doubleheader.

Ought to be entertaining...

And Mike Ditka and Michelle Tafoya.

3 Mikes and a mini-Mike. Yeesh

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If the Packers get into the supplemental draft, I would much prefer they go after Paul Oliver, a CB. I say this only because there seems to be real concern that Blackmon won't be able to shake the injury bug. I don't see Denby as the solid nickle back we need. If we don't solidify that position, I can see the Pack spending a 1st or 2nd(or both) on CBs next year. Better to give up a 2nd now. Harris and Woodson can't hold up forever. Pick a replacement before it's absolutely essential.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score

If the Packers get into the supplemental draft, I would much prefer they go after Paul Oliver, a CB. I say this only because there seems to be real concern that Blackmon won't be able to shake the injury bug. I don't see Denby as the solid nickle back we need. If we don't solidify that position, I can see the Pack spending a 1st or 2nd(or both) on CBs next year. Better to give up a 2nd now. Harris and Woodson can't hold up forever. Pick a replacement before it's absolutely essential.

I think that's why they brought in Frank Walker as insurance. Smart move, considering pinning our hopes on Blackmon kinda didn't work out last year, and Dendy is a #4 CB that would be nothing more than an average #3 CB on his best day.

Perhaps a pick on Oliver in the 6th, maybe 7th round if he falls that far. A younger CB to groom would be nice, but it isn't a big need since we have Walker this year.