Camp Notes

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"I might be part of reporting day," Jackson said. "But I can't ballpark it right now. I feel like if Green Bay doesn't do anything different (with this contract), it's my last year up there. I put together a list to help me figure out what to do. And I know if it stays like this, I won't be in Green Bay next year."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rosenhaus has stated that if the Packers would show even an inclination toward reworking Walker's deal that the Pro Bowl receiver would report to camp. Rosenhaus might try one more time to initiate talks this week.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/343800.asp

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more year from Jackson might be all we need. We've got a number of young DTs who need more experience, and Jackson would give them the time to be ready to fill-in.

As for Walker, Rosy is just looking for some way to open the door on negotiations. As soon as TT agrees to consider a new contract, negotiations on that new deal have begun and Walker has won the hold-out. TT is taking the right approach by being clear about how GB will proceed with handling the situation. TO is already giving in with Philly, so it's just a matter of time before Walker does the same.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Grady, the poor guy just doesn't realize that he's behind the 8ball on this contract thing. If he plays well and doesn't become a distraction he'll get a nice contract. But when you back the boss up against the wall at age 32 with his injury history, all you're doing is setting yourself up for failure. Javon has zero chance of getting a new contract right now. He has been way to outspoken as has his agent. The Packers won't do a new contract for him and lose face.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
One more year from Jackson might be all we need. We've got a number of young DTs who need more experience, and Jackson would give them the time to be ready to fill-in.
Agree totally here - whether Gravy understands it or not - is his loss.
He's already spent some time missing games due to the injury bug and he has trouble watching his weight - I would go so far as to say that without Gravedigger having been there for the 2003 Season, even with a torn bicep, then Grady would have never gotten the moxie needed to maintain his position - We would have cut him last year... Gravedigger's mentoring caused the resurgence of this Player in the NFL - He was just about done in New Orleans... Grady would have to play all year and not miss a game in order for the Packers to even contemplate re-signing or re-working the existing contract. I think he's past his prime anyway... Just don't see it! Look for Nose Tackle drafting as the top priority for TT next year....

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grady was given a contract extention last year by Sherman after he played well. Why do it again. Might as well just give everyone a new contract every 6 months. As far as Grady I have a feeling one of the young guns will come through in camp and prove we don't need him that bad and he will be gone. Might also find a decent interior lineman after exhibition season with final cuts for much cheaper.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont even want Jackson to come back. I would be happier without him, he may just be more trouble in the locker room. But if he isn't trouble I would take him back. :thumbsup:

grabthar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard an interesting comment back in 96 or 97 from Ron Wolf. He said that you should never draft a big DT. Always pick them up on waivers. He said they usually come out and are lazy and overeat. If you pick them up after they get cut, they have more a chip on their shoulder and have more desire to succeed. Gilbert was a good example of this. I don't think Wolf ever spent a high draft pick on a DT. I hope that Washington and Lee are good players and prove Wolf's philosophy wrong.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Bobby Roberts said:
He's already spent some time missing games due to the injury bug and he has trouble watching his weight - I would go so far as to say that without Gravedigger having been there for the 2003 Season, even with a torn bicep, then Grady would have never gotten the moxie needed to maintain his position - We would have cut him last year... Gravedigger's mentoring caused the resurgence of this Player in the NFL - He was just about done in New Orleans... Grady would have to play all year and not miss a game in order for the Packers to even contemplate re-signing or re-working the existing contract. I think he's past his prime anyway... Just don't see it! Look for Nose Tackle drafting as the top priority for TT next year....

That about says it all. And what are the odds he doesn't get hurt this season? Is he coming into camp in top shape? I doubt it.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would adjust my comment in one regard --- earlier post by one member was this ----

grabthar said:
I heard an interesting comment back in 96 or 97 from Ron Wolf. He said that you should never draft a big DT. Always pick them up on waivers. He said they usually come out and are lazy and overeat. If you pick them up after they get cut, they have more a chip on their shoulder and have more desire to succeed. Gilbert was a good example of this. I don't think Wolf ever spent a high draft pick on a DT. I hope that Washington and Lee are good players and prove Wolf's philosophy wrong.

I can see his point, too - only rarely do we see the bigger DT's come in with a vengeance... Norman Hand would be an example of that...

In next year's draft - are there any Norman Hand(s) out there...?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
IPBprez said:
Bobby Roberts said:

That about says it all. And what are the odds he doesn't get hurt this season? Is he coming into camp in top shape? I doubt it.

I pretty much agree with all 3 of you guys. Grady plays well when he's in there, but how many people really think he'll play all 16 games this season? I think we are going to need Grady's backups whether he reports to camp or not, because eventually I think he'll be missing some games anyway with an injury.

When you're that big, at that age, and not in tip top shape, injuries seem to have a way of finding you. It doesn't make sense for the Packers to sign him to a contract extension with his injury history at his age.

Grady can complain that he won't return next year if his contract isn't redone, but I think the odds were high he would be gone next year regardless of his unhappiness with the Packers. Kind of like telling your boss you quit after you've been fired.

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who plan to attend some of the practices for the camp? Would be cool to get some insight concerning the different position battles.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems to be history repeating itself. Grady comes in plays well, likes the place and people. After a while Grady over values himself, complains about income, underappreciation,contract, etc. and wants to be somewhere else. His play drops off, he's a bad influence in the locker room, and he's gone.

Latest posts