Camp Battle for Long Snapper

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I am not questioning Rob Davis ability but I heard from more than one source that Joe Quinn was a good long snapper and had a chance to beat out Rob Davis for the job.

This is not a anti-Rob Davis question but a Joe Quinn question.

Joe Quinn was in NFL-E this spring and but I did not see him long snap.

Has anyone seen Joe Quinn play?

Rob Davis gets the veteran minimum and I don't think the Packers are so cheap they would cut him for the money difference. I know Rob Davis has made some special teams tackles.

Is Joe Quinn is good enough to be the new long snapper?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I don't know enough about Joe Quinn but I just can't see him displacing Rob Davis. He's an unsung hero. How many times does he get down the field to make a play after snapping the ball on a punt? Not only that, how many times does he ever make a bad snap on either FG's or punts? He's about as automatic as anybody at his position, in my opinion.

Somebody said once, if you don't know much about your long snapper, he's doing a hell of a job! Rob Davis fits that pretty good IMHO.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"If it isn't broke-Don't fix it!" There is a great difference from being a seasoned pro of 10 years in NFL and great special teamer like Rob Davis and being rookie from U of Minnesota Joe Quinn. There would have to be a great drop off in Rob Davis' skills in Summer Camp for Quinn to replace Rob Davis. Don't see that, but anything is possible.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Sherman was still GM....

i heard from a reliable source that Mike Sherman was going to DRAFT a quality LONG-SNAPPER...from a certain college team in the midwest in the 2nd or 3rd round...

oh well..i guess we'll never know how that brilliant idea would have panned out....

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob Davis has done a very good job over the years, but it still bugs me that a backup offensive lineman can't ever become good enough at it so we don't have to waste a roster spot on a long snapper. Most other teams do the same thing though, so I guess the Packers aren't alone in saving a roster spot for a long snapper.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack 66- If you consider yourself a knowledgeable packer fan, I can not believe you would consider this guy a reliable source. I have been a life time Pro football/ Packer fan which is over 6 decades and I have seen Packers teams coached by all Packer head coaches and general managers and some of these HC/GM made some very, very poor decisions, but I have never seen any coach and general manager make such a "bone headed" decision as to use a valuable 2nd or 3rd NFL draft choice for special team/ long snapper , especially when they have Rob Davis who is a veteran who is both a longsnapper and good on all special teams. It would be "a death wish" for ever getting another HC/GM job in the NFL. Punters and field goal kickers drafted in early rounds yes, but long snappers -No!! Re-evaluate your source, he is anything but reliable. What is your motive for posting this disinformation about Mike Sherman? I have heard just about every conceivable complaint of Mike Sherman as a GM and HC from posters on packer Forums. . This is as "far fetch" as anything I have ever heard. or read . Pure fiction!!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Sherman was still GM....

i heard from a reliable source that Mike Sherman was going to DRAFT a quality LONG-SNAPPER...from a certain college team in the midwest in the 2nd or 3rd round...

oh well..i guess we'll never know how that brilliant idea would have panned out....

That's funny 66! Iwould think it would be the 3rd so he would have a matched set - snapper and punter!
:lol: :pals: :lol: :pals: :lol: :pals: :lol:

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently only my buddy and another guy (a Gopher fan) are going out on a limb for Joe Quinn.

Until they mentioned Joe Quinn I did not know he was a long snapper. Frankly, I hope there is some competition. There is some at most of the positions.

By the way Favre, Henderson, and Flanagan are the only guys who have been on the team longer than Rob Davis.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on everyone, im sick of all this negitive stuff. Lets just think some "Happy" thoughts! :joy: :cheerleader:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on everyone, im sick of all this negitive stuff. Lets just think some "Happy" thoughts! :joy: :cheerleader:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
"If it isn't broke-Don't fix it!" There is a great difference from being a seasoned pro of 10 years in NFL and great special teamer like Rob Davis and being rookie from U of Minnesota Joe Quinn. There would have to be a great drop off in Rob Davis' skills in Summer Camp for Quinn to replace Rob Davis. Don't see that, but anything is possible.
Here, here.... leave it alone - TT knows what he's doing... for cry iy iy....! :roll:

Members online

Latest posts