Bryan Bulaga: out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes this sucks...no the sky is not falling. We are not the only ones this is happening too -- in San Francisco they've already lost Culliver for the season and probably Crabtree for the season, and in Seattle they may lose Harvin for the season. Their seasons are not over, and neither is ours.

I agree it's very frustrating to go through this seemingly every year, but we always still manage to be in contention, so I don't know why some people seem to throw up their hands and seemingly give up 0n the season the first time it happens.

They'll address it. Maybe it'll be with Bahktiari at LT and Newhouse at RT, maybe Sherrod is closer than we think, maybe Tretter gets back mid-season, or maybe Datko elevates his game a lot more throughout training camp than he has so far.

Or maybe they look to swap some of that extra depth in the secondary or at running back towards the end of training camp and send a guy like Alex Green or Jarrett Bush to another team for a backup on the O-line for a team with existing depth there. I really don't know. I'm sure they are looking at all avenues.

It's a bummer but there is still a season to be played and we are still contenders.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
San Fran had one starter on IR last year. The problem with the packers is becoming normal. ..out shouldn't be.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Just tired of this happening every single year. How good would this team be if we could actually keep our 1st rounders on the field?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
San Fran had one starter on IR last year. The problem with the packers is becoming normal. ..out shouldn't be.

I'm not talking about last year. We had a pretty injury free year in 2011 (other than Collins). What can we really do about it? You can take a closer look at the techniques of your own strength and conditioning team, but that's about it.

I'm just saying that the other major contenders in the NFC have already also had major season ending injuries so writing this year off after this one is just silly.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm not talking about last year. We had a pretty injury free year in 2011 (other than Collins). What can we really do about it? You can take a closer look at the techniques of your own strength and conditioning team, but that's about it.

I'm just saying that the other major contenders in the NFC have already also had major season ending injuries so writing this year off after this one is just silly.
The difference? They have capable guy to REPLACE them. I don't consider Newhouse capable.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I know TT is the top man around Green Bay, but as the fans are the shareholders couldn`t they MAKE him do something about changes in the coaching set up ?? 1 or 2 seasons being unlucky with injuries is understandable, but this is getting beyond a joke now.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that worried about it. The team has dealt with this season after season. The past two losses in the playoffs didnt have much to do with our O line.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I know TT is the top man around Green Bay, but as the fans are the shareholders couldn`t they MAKE him do something about changes in the coaching set up ?? 1 or 2 seasons being unlucky with injuries is understandable, but this is getting beyond a joke now.

No one made him bring Brett back

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference? They have capable guy to REPLACE them. I don't consider Newhouse capable.

This is nothing more than fan perception IMO. Anquan Boldin is NOT a #1 WR at this point in his career. And there is no replacing Percy Harvin in Seattle. I'm sure they are saying the same things.

Look, I'm not thrilled about Newhouse either, but they dealt with this most of last year and still were contenders. You could certainly argue that they have more depth now than they had when Bulaga went down last year. The O-line is obviously an important part of the team, but it had nothing to do with why our season ended in San Francisco.

It's not a good thing, but I'd rather it happen now when they have time to figure out a Plan B rather than mid-season when they have to shuffle things on the spot.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I know TT is the top man around Green Bay, but as the fans are the shareholders couldn't they MAKE him do something ...
Thank goodness no, Bill. IMO that would be the worst possible situation: Even worse than before Harlan hired Wolf when the executive committee consistently interfered. Thompson is ultimately responsible for football operations, if there’s a serious problem he can’t, or won’t fix, it’s up to Murphy to fire him and hopefully keep the organizational structure in place by hiring someone else to oversee football operations.

Thompson said again before family night he doesn’t enjoy the Packers playing the Packers and unfortunately the reason why has become apparent. After the scrimmage I viewed as a success beyond the performance of the players because I thought Taylor was the only player injured. So much for that…

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
only good thing about this is that it happened NOW and not mid season

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This stuff happens. What ****** me off about the medical staff is that no one returns within a normal time frame. It always takes far longer in GB to return. Where is Worthy? He probably won't even play this year. Why can they not rehab a knee like every other team? He at worst....at worst should be PUP and ready to rock when eligible by the PUP rules. He should be doing everything right now aside from live scrimmage contact. I bet he is jogging on the sideline at best.
Makes you wonder if MM is playing cautious all the time.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Definitely bad news, very bad news, but we may have something this year to offset this. If the running game significantly improves it will slow down the pass rush and maybe Newhouse can handle that. Next man up.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/218380031.html

Bulaga getting a second opinion from James Andrews since he claims his knee feels good and he was able to finish the drills. My guess is that the second opinion is the same and he probably just has a small tear, but any tear in the ACL still requires surgery so the extent of the tear is irrelevant. Just thought I'd mention it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ohhhh, the sky is falling, but it's falling for just about every team right about now!

Yup, this sucks. I hear the chorus already starting about our injuries. Funny that it kicks into high gear when a guy gets an ACL tear...which I have no way to logically link to the medical staff unless Tonya Harding is an assistant trainer.

Newhouse is not our preferred option. Maybe what will happen is they will be able to work Barclay or Bahktiari to the point of starting at LT by mid-season. I don't think that either guy has the ideal size, but I also don't buy into that crap anyway. It's all about can you play....and you don't need to be 325lbs vs 300lbs to block Clay Matthews, you need good hands, good feet, and one heck of an attitude.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy does it folks. This is brutal news, especially since the reports from camp were very positive with Bulaga's shift to LT. But, we dealt last season with Newhouse playing LT. Yes, A-Rodg got sacked A LOT, but we also still fielded a very prolific offense. We CAN survive with some combo of Newhouse, Barclay, and Bakt. And as others have said, we didn't lose to SF because of our line - they gave up only one sack that game!

Remember, we will have a better running game too, which will help the offense in more ways than just having a run game. It opens the play-action and, more importantly, it keeps defenses honest - meaning they can't just pin their ears back and get after Rodgers.

But, there's no denying we're snakebit. It'd sure be nice if Bulaga and Sherrod were healthy.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/218380031.html

Bulaga getting a second opinion from James Andrews since he claims his knee feels good and he was able to finish the drills. My guess is that the second opinion is the same and he probably just has a small tear, but any tear in the ACL still requires surgery so the extent of the tear is irrelevant. Just thought I'd mention it.
Good. While an ACL is just about the easiest thing to test for and see on an MRI, I applaud a player for going outside the GB medical staff again for a 2nd opinion. Remember last year when they ****ed around with Jennings for how many weeks before he got a 2nd opinion and bang...surgery, recovery, return.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People, we went two deep in the playoffs last year with Newhouse and scored enough points to win the game WITHOUT Bulaga. It was our defense that blew it. If Rodgers can get rid of the ball faster and we run the ball better (both almost have to improve this year) and we have either Newhouse or Bakhtiari at RT instead of Barclay our line will be better than last year no matter what happens. Yeah, this sucks, but it's better than losing guys who we don't have decent backups for like Rodgers, Mathews, Raji, Sitton or hell, even Burnett.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Has he played the position before ???

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Bob McGinn, rookie David Bakhtiari will replace Bulaga at LT

Figured as much. Newhouse clearly wasnt the answer at LT his bad experience out there isnt enough to warrant erasing all of his offseason work to push him back where he failed. Bakhtiari has been considered more of a LT than RT anyways. Another day another season ending injury right guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.